Original Head on PSC 34 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Original Head on PSC 34

I'm working on replacing all of the hoses for my head. Of course I had to remove the Raritan PH head in the process. There is a 2" thick piece of mahogany on which the Raritan sits. Upon removing that I discovered the holes for the old head. I'm guessing from the footprint that it might have been a Groco K-H (the Groco is higher than the Raritan as well, which would explain the 2" wood pad).

Does anyone know if mid-90s PSC34s had a Groco? Any reason that I would want to go back to the Groco? It certainly seems more robust than the Raritan.

While I'm posting, any thing else that I should keep in mind as I change out all the hose? I'm cleaning all the hull and probably going to repaint while all the hose is out of the way. I'm replacing with the Raritan Sani/flex hose. Also going to clean the holding tank (my guess is it hasn't been done in a long time, if ever).

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

Last edited by elliowb; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Original Head on PSC 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
I'm working on replacing all of the hoses for my head. Of course I had to remove the Raritan PH head in the process. There is a 2" thick piece of mahogany on which the Raritan sits. Upon removing that I discovered the holes for the old head. I'm guessing from the footprint that it might have been a Groco K-H (the Groco is higher than the Raritan as well, which would explain the 2" wood pad).

Does anyone know if mid-90s PSC34s had a Groco? Any reason that I would want to go back to the Groco? It certainly seems more robust than the Raritan.

While I'm posting, any thing else that I should keep in mind as I change out all the hose? I'm cleaning all the hull and probably going to repaint while all the hose is out of the way. I'm replacing with the Raritan Sani/flex hose. Also going to clean the holding tank (my guess is it hasn't been done in a long time, if ever).
Yup, mine has a Groco Model K. I haven't had any problems with it, so far, although I did replace the flapper valve last year. I've been considering replacing all the sanitation hose also, but it's not that high on my list of priorities yet. Given how stiff the original Trident hose is, it cannot be an easy job. Let us know how it goes.

Joost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #3 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
Yup, mine has a Groco Model K. I haven't had any problems with it, so far, although I did replace the flapper valve last year. I've been considering replacing all the sanitation hose also, but it's not that high on my list of priorities yet. Given how stiff the original Trident hose is, it cannot be an easy job. Let us know how it goes.

Joost
Thank you Joost. After posting I did some additional digging and research. I'm leaning heavily toward switching back to a Groco. The Raritan isn't a bad piece of equipment, but it's not built like the Groco.

I'll let you know how the change goes. I just have the clean-out hose and two shorter pieces left to remove. So far not too bad, especially since I could get the Sawzall in to cut the longer pieces in half. That made it much easier to remove.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

post #4 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Bill, we have a Groco on our 1987 PSC 34 and it works well. A few years ago I replaced the hoses to and from the holding tank, replaced the plywood lid on the holding tank, and cleaned it out. I'm glad that's over! Anyway, the worst part of the job was replacing the hoses. I had a terrible time positioning myself to be able to attach them to the holding tank. Good luck.
Steve
post #5 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus34 View Post
Bill, we have a Groco on our 1987 PSC 34 and it works well. A few years ago I replaced the hoses to and from the holding tank, replaced the plywood lid on the holding tank, and cleaned it out. I'm glad that's over! Anyway, the worst part of the job was replacing the hoses. I had a terrible time positioning myself to be able to attach them to the holding tank. Good luck.
Steve
Thanks for the info and encouragement. I know that it isn't going to be fun, but I'd rather be doing it in the cool of early spring in Cleveland than on an extended voyage. It's so tight, both under the sink cabinet and in the space immediately inboard of the holding tank, where the pump is. I've heard that the Raritan Sani-flex and a good heat gun will help.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #6 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

You might be interested in an older thread if you have not seen it before.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacif...ml#post3306402

Bill
post #7 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
You might be interested in an older thread if you have not seen it before.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacif...ml#post3306402

Bill
Thanks Bill. That's good information, I hadn't thought about trying to get underneath the plinth.

I wonder why the PO removed the Groco. They also replaced the deck mounted table with a bulkhead mounted table. A decision that I would not have made either.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #8 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago

OP mentioned cleaning out the holding tank . OP does your tank have a full indicator ? I tried to find the one we have but no luck . Ours is a simple set up that consists of a plate that holds a shaft that a float goes up and down on and makes a 12V connection and turns on a light . Anyhow to mount this thing you hole saw a hole and screw the thing down with a nice gasket , in the past it also doubles as a access port so I can see in there and I can get a hose nozzle to blast the thing clean .
elliowb likes this.

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #9 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
OP mentioned cleaning out the holding tank . OP does your tank have a full indicator ? I tried to find the one we have but no luck . Ours is a simple set up that consists of a plate that holds a shaft that a float goes up and down on and makes a 12V connection and turns on a light . Anyhow to mount this thing you hole saw a hole and screw the thing down with a nice gasket , in the past it also doubles as a access port so I can see in there and I can get a hose nozzle to blast the thing clean .
To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to it yet. I do know that the first season that I owned the boat, I managed to pressurize the holding tank to the extent that when I opened the clean out on deck, had I not opened it slowly and the pressure was relieved, I would have been covered in $hit. A full gauge might have helped me to avoid that mistake. I'll check once I get to that point.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #10 of 28 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post

Joost

I just cut the hose with a dremal cutting blade in the middle and then then carefully cut lengthwise at the end so so it would easily break loose. The original hoses had some blue sealant that prevented just being able to twist it off. Newer hose is much easier to work with. Pick a breezy day so you’ll have some fresh air flowing through the cabin.

PS31#111 Cielo Azul

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in