Mast Step leak PSC 34 - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 Old 05-05-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewcomer View Post
Do a search for "Splitting Compression Post" and there is more information there.
Or maybe this link will work: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacif...sion-post.html

I posted a pic of the new cast aluminum mast plug from LeFiell that I installed.
Our 1980 C37 just had a hole in the step and plug--no stand pipe or drain holes and rot had started in base of the post.
The new step had both and fixed the water intrusion problem. West epoxy thinned with MEK fixed the soft wood.
Bottom line: all the bolts to remove the cast mast plug and SS step can be removed but it's a chore.

John
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl
Lake Union, Seattle, WA
Thanks, John. I had the mast pulled yesterday and I'm heading to the yard to take a look. According to Thumper at Pacific Seacraft, the mast step on the PSC 34 is attached with lag bolts. I really hope it is, as I don't feel like messing around with the headliner.

Joost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 05-05-2019 Thread Starter

So, I made it to the boat today and had a look at the mast step. As Thumper had pointed out, the mast step on the PSC34 is held down by two lag bolts. That's different from the 37 where it is fastened with two regular bolts. The lag bolts came out very easily and the mast step popped right off. The bedding between the mast step and the stainless organizer tray was completely delaminated (see first picture) and there clearly was water trapped between the two. I cleaned off the old bedding compound and rebedded the mast step and lag bolts using Sikaflex 291 (on Thumper's recommendation). The second picture shows the mast step in place. To seal the standpipe, I first plugged it with a piece of absorbent mat (the kind I use below the engine to catch any oil leaks) and then poured self-leveling silicone almost to top of the pipe. I also took the opportunity to bed some of the wires at the masthead - there were a couple of gaping holes that allowed water to run down the inside of the mast.

Thanks for all the info and advice - it was very helpful. Let's hope this fixes the problem.

Joost
Attached Thumbnails
2019_05 mast step.jpg   2019_05 mast step_bedded.jpg  
elliowb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #23 of 37 Old 05-05-2019 Thread Starter

Not sure why the pictures are upside down, or how to fix it.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

post #24 of 37 Old 05-10-2019

Joost,

Wow! Quality Job!

Dave
post #25 of 37 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMancini View Post
Joost,

Wow! Quality Job!

Dave
Thanks, Dave. I still need to double check that this fixed the problem, but I expect it to. If not, rebedding the organizer tray is a much bigger job given that the bolts are not easily accessible. The silver lining of all this is that I now have the opportunity to touch up the paint on the mast - why did Pacific Seacraft paint their masts instead of anodizing?

Joost

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #26 of 37 Old 05-10-2019
S/V Interlude, PSC31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
Thanks, Dave. I still need to double check that this fixed the problem, but I expect it to. If not, rebedding the organizer tray is a much bigger job given that the bolts are not easily accessible. The silver lining of all this is that I now have the opportunity to touch up the paint on the mast - why did Pacific Seacraft paint their masts instead of anodizing?

Joost
They didn't, Lefeil who made the masts and booms did, and they are now out of business I believe. The new PSC spars are anodized.
jvlassak likes this.
post #27 of 37 Old 05-10-2019

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
The silver lining of all this is that I now have the opportunity to touch up the paint on the mast...
That was one repair that did not go well. I patch painted the mast covering the areas where halyard hardware and other things had removed the original paint. While the patch paint originally matched perfectly, over the years it has aged to a very different color and begun to flake. Add to that the under-paint-aluminum corrosion on the boom which was repainted before I bought the boat, and things are a cosmetic mess. Oh well, it was good for a time.

The very idea of removing all the hardware, sanding, cleaning, prepping, priming, and painting the mast and boom fills me with dread. Other things are a higher priority. My solution is to go sailing.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34
post #28 of 37 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
That was one repair that did not go well. I patch painted the mast covering the areas where halyard hardware and other things had removed the original paint. While the patch paint originally matched perfectly, over the years it has aged to a very different color and begun to flake. Add to that the under-paint-aluminum corrosion on the boom which was repainted before I bought the boat, and things are a cosmetic mess. Oh well, it was good for a time.

The very idea of removing all the hardware, sanding, cleaning, prepping, priming, and painting the mast and boom fills me with dread. Other things are a higher priority. My solution is to go sailing.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34
Hi Bill,

The paint on my mast is in pretty bad shape - it's flaking off in more areas than I can count. I don't have time (or the patience) to completely restore the paint. Instead, I'm trying to stop the corrosion under the paint where it is delaminating and will repaint the the bare areas. I've removed the loose paint by sanding and have treated the aluminum for corrosion. The next step is to paint the bare patches. I did the boom using the same procedures about six years ago and it has held up really well. Would I rather be sailing? Absolutely! But that has to wait until the mast is re-stepped.

Joost

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #29 of 37 Old 05-11-2019

I don't believe Lefiell is out of business. Their website is alive and well, which is a good thing, because you can also buy all the mast hardware (tangs, bolts, etc.) for your original mast. I once called them up, gave them the year and PSC model and they sold me exactly what I needed to completely replace the rigging and hardware (except the wire rope)—things that were not online in their website. Their prices were very reasonable and they were very helpful and quick to ship.

They also make the masts, booms and spreaders, and they will either paint or anodize to your order.

Dave
elliowb likes this.

Last edited by DaveMancini; 05-11-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add
post #30 of 37 Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter

So, I just checked if re-bedding the mast step fixed the problem. The answer is "sort of". Re-bedding the mast step fixed the main leak, there is no more water coming down the compression post, but I noticed that one or two of the bolts holding down the organizer tray are weeping. I think the issue is that the bolt heads are slightly too small for the holes in the stainless and there are two sides of the heads that do not cover the hole, allowing water to penetrate around the bolt.

Question is how to fix this. This is not really an issue of keeping water out of the boat, the amount of water entering is tiny. I am worried about the plywood in the deck that would be exposed to water. I think I can access the nuts of the two aft bolts, but the other two are buried somewhere next to the bulkhead. Any suggestions? The thought occurred to get four little stainless caps slightly larger than the bolt heads and use them to cover the bolt heads with a lot of bedding compound. I think it would fix the leak, but it just doesn't seem right. The right way is to remove the bolts, fill up the holes with thickened epoxy, drill out the holes and re-bed the bolts, but that supposes I can remove them in the first place.

Joost

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in