Mast Step leak PSC 34 - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 05-12-2019
Senior Member
 
DaveMancini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 278
Thanks: 8
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Joost,

I just found this picture of someone rebedding the mast plate on a 1998 PSC 37 #337, "Cilantro." Picture of plate attached. Perhaps you can contact them to see how they did it. This is their blog: s/v Cilantro (Sue Carnahan and Curtis Smith). Apparently, Curtis Smith posts on this forum, user name: whimbrel (last posted 2016). Maybe you can PM him. From what I can read, Bitterseet Landing was involved with the work in July of 2012. Their phone number is 207-644-8731.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Plate.png  

Last edited by DaveMancini; 05-12-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: add
DaveMancini is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMancini For This Useful Post:
jvlassak (05-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 Old 05-12-2019 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jvlassak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 333
Thanks: 41
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMancini View Post
Joost,

I just found this picture of someone rebedding the mast plate on a 1998 PSC 37 #337, "Cilantro." Picture of plate attached. Perhaps you can contact them to see how they did it. This is their blog: s/v Cilantro (Sue Carnahan and Curtis Smith). Apparently, Curtis Smith posts on this forum, user name: whimbrel (last posted 2016). Maybe you can PM him. From what I can read, Bitterseet Landing was involved with the work in July of 2012. Their phone number is 207-644-8731.

Dave
Thanks, Dave, I'll look into that. First thing tomorrow morning, I'll call Thumper at Pacific Seacraft and see if he has any recommendations on how to get to the nuts. Once the bolts are out, the re-bedding should be pretty easy, unless of course I stumble on something else - that always seems to happen with sailboats, doesn't it?

Joost


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

Last edited by jvlassak; 05-12-2019 at 08:11 PM.
jvlassak is online now  
post #33 of 41 Old 05-12-2019
Senior Member
 
DaveMancini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 278
Thanks: 8
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Joost,

You're right. It's like going down the rabbit hole.

Dave
DaveMancini is online now  
 
post #34 of 41 Old 05-14-2019
S/V Interlude, PSC31
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMancini View Post
I don't believe Lefiell is out of business. Their website is alive and well, which is a good thing, because you can also buy all the mast hardware (tangs, bolts, etc.) for your original mast. I once called them up, gave them the year and PSC model and they sold me exactly what I needed to completely replace the rigging and hardware (except the wire rope)—things that were not online in their website. Their prices were very reasonable and they were very helpful and quick to ship.

They also make the masts, booms and spreaders, and they will either paint or anodize to your order.

Dave
Dave, that is great to hear! I was told by PSC that they were no longer in business. That would be the first inaccurate info they have given. Maybe they said didn't make the spars anymore but even then? Thanks for correcting my assumption/information. Spent a good part of the day last Thursday meeting Steve, Thumper many of the craftsman there and seeing an almost completed 31 among other projects. Holy Moly, she is beautiful but also just North of $400,000. Feeling better about the price we paid for Interlude. Pic is of the new 31 with Thumper and myself (on the right)
Attached Thumbnails
New 31.jpg  
elliowb likes this.
Interlude is offline  
post #35 of 41 Old 05-14-2019
Senior Member
 
DaveMancini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 278
Thanks: 8
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Interlude,

I just found out from James.Gitana on the "Crealock 34 mast tang bolts and nuts" thread that Lefiel sold their marine division, including their inventory, to Forespar at 949-858-8820. So, that's why the conflicting info on the subject.

Thanks, for the picture of Thumper. I have talked to him a number of times and it's nice to see his smiling face at last.

Dave
DaveMancini is online now  
post #36 of 41 Old 1 Day Ago
Senior Member
 
svjobeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marathon, FL
Posts: 242
Thanks: 7
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Interesting to stumble across this thread...

Yes, Lefiell has shut down their marine division. We bought our new mast/boom from them in 2014 for our refit and I think ours was the last set of spars they made. At that time, the marine department was down to one guy, and I'm quite certain he retired after our order was fulfilled. Didn't know of the sale to Forespar though.

Anyway...

After our full refit, after enduring Hurricane Irma and a subsequent year of repairs, and after 1,000 or so miles sailed since the Irma repairs...we have water running down our wires in the mast. This has just started with a set of squalls over the past few days. (We're in Marathon, FL.) This is a first for us, and the only new holes in the mast are from Irma repairs: the replacement radar cabling and mount; the loudhailer cabling and mount; the VHF antenna mount; the wind speed/direction transducer; and the spreader lights. (The VHF antenna and wind speed/direction unit used existing mounts, but were still removed and reinstalled for cabling replacement.) Right now, it is a mere trickle, but trickles unchecked can become torrents. What is peculiar in our case, is the water seems to only run down one side - the aft side - of the compression post where the cabling and wood touch. Surface tension causes it to 'puddle' in the tiny gaps between wire and wire ties. The visible portions of the conduit, etc., and forward side of the post are dry.

The rig was down for the storm repairs, but we don't feel like this is coming in at the step. We think it must be one of the 'new' holes, or perhaps an existing hole through which cabling or wiring passes, as the water seems concentrated on the cabling, and where the cabling is contacting the compression post, on the aft side of the post channel.

Bill & Lisa Ballard
S/V Jo Beth
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
svjobeth is online now  
post #37 of 41 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jvlassak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 333
Thanks: 41
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by svjobeth View Post
Interesting to stumble across this thread...

Yes, Lefiell has shut down their marine division. We bought our new mast/boom from them in 2014 for our refit and I think ours was the last set of spars they made. At that time, the marine department was down to one guy, and I'm quite certain he retired after our order was fulfilled. Didn't know of the sale to Forespar though.

Anyway...

After our full refit, after enduring Hurricane Irma and a subsequent year of repairs, and after 1,000 or so miles sailed since the Irma repairs...we have water running down our wires in the mast. This has just started with a set of squalls over the past few days. (We're in Marathon, FL.) This is a first for us, and the only new holes in the mast are from Irma repairs: the replacement radar cabling and mount; the loudhailer cabling and mount; the VHF antenna mount; the wind speed/direction transducer; and the spreader lights. (The VHF antenna and wind speed/direction unit used existing mounts, but were still removed and reinstalled for cabling replacement.) Right now, it is a mere trickle, but trickles unchecked can become torrents. What is peculiar in our case, is the water seems to only run down one side - the aft side - of the compression post where the cabling and wood touch. Surface tension causes it to 'puddle' in the tiny gaps between wire and wire ties. The visible portions of the conduit, etc., and forward side of the post are dry.

The rig was down for the storm repairs, but we don't feel like this is coming in at the step. We think it must be one of the 'new' holes, or perhaps an existing hole through which cabling or wiring passes, as the water seems concentrated on the cabling, and where the cabling is contacting the compression post, on the aft side of the post channel.
Bill,

Is the standpipe that the wires pass through sealed? I plugged mine with the material I use to catch oil drops below the engine, and then sealed it with a layer of self leveling silicone. The other major path of ingress is the mast step itself. In my case the bedding material between the stainless organiser tray and the mast step was completely compromised allowing water to seep between the two and then run down the standpipe. After rebedding the mast step, the bilge is dry.

Best,
Joost


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

Last edited by jvlassak; 6 Hours Ago at 03:11 PM. Reason: Corrected error
jvlassak is online now  
post #38 of 41 Old 13 Hours Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
Posts: 588
Thanks: 13
Thanked 85 Times in 74 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Bill,

It's great to see you are back on the boat. Run over to the Home Depot store in Marathon and buy a pound block of duct seal. It is a Play Dough like stuff near the cable ties and electrical tape. With it and some duct tape you can find the source of the leak and maybe fix it.

Here is the plan...

Use the duct seal to plug the drain holes at the bottom of the mast. Remove the inspection plate and pour a couple of cups of water into the mast. If it leaks through, the leak is at the two bolts that are in the mast step. Other than pull the mast, I don't know of a fix.

Add more water until the standpipe is under water. If it leaks through, the leak is where the wires go into the standpipe. Water is running down the wires. With patience, long fingers, and a mirror or bore scope, you can seal around the wires with the duct seal. That is its real purpose. You could also try to find where the water is entering the mast and fix that, but there are unavoidable holes in the mast and water seems to always find a way.

Pull out the Duct Seal plugs and make sure the mast drains.

Take the blocks off the organizer plate under the mast and using the duct tape cover over the holes and open corners, then fill the plate with water. If it leaks through, the leak is either the four bolts or the joint between the aluminum casting and the plate. You can use the duct seal to discover which one. Burying the bolt heads in 5200 or sealing the joint from the outside might fix the leak.

Use the duct seal to build a dam on the deck around the mast step. Fill that pond with water. If it leaks through suspect the joint between the plate and the deck.

Good luck with it.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
wsmurdoch is online now  
post #39 of 41 Old 12 Hours Ago
Senior Member
 
svjobeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marathon, FL
Posts: 242
Thanks: 7
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Bill,

It's great to see you are back on the boat. Run over to the Home Depot store in Marathon and buy a pound block of duct seal. It is a Play Dough like stuff near the cable ties and electrical tape. With it and some duct tape you can find the source of the leak and maybe fix it.

Here is the plan...

Use the duct seal to plug the drain holes at the bottom of the mast. Remove the inspection plate and pour a couple of cups of water into the mast. If it leaks through, the leak is at the two bolts that are in the mast step. Other than pull the mast, I don't know of a fix.

Add more water until the standpipe is under water. If it leaks through, the leak is where the wires go into the standpipe. Water is running down the wires. With patience, long fingers, and a mirror or bore scope, you can seal around the wires with the duct seal. That is its real purpose. You could also try to find where the water is entering the mast and fix that, but there are unavoidable holes in the mast and water seems to always find a way.

Pull out the Duct Seal plugs and make sure the mast drains.

Take the blocks off the organizer plate under the mast and using the duct tape cover over the holes and open corners, then fill the plate with water. If it leaks through, the leak is either the four bolts or the joint between the aluminum casting and the plate. You can use the duct seal to discover which one. Burying the bolt heads in 5200 or sealing the joint from the outside might fix the leak.

Use the duct seal to build a dam on the deck around the mast step. Fill that pond with water. If it leaks through suspect the joint between the plate and the deck.

Good luck with it.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Thanks Bill - and thanks to Joost also -

Thanks too for the 'roadmap' plan. The kicker is this: our mast does not have an inspection plate at the base - or anywhere, for that matter - and the original spar which was on her when we bought her in '03 didn't have any either. There are two small drain holes on the sides of the mast at the base. If the leak is at the standpipe, etc., or anywhere under the mast, then we're looking at having to pull it...hence my plan to try to find the source on the spar. If that method fails, well...we can always cut inspection plates with the spar in place...though I'm not really a fan of that idea.

It's certainly possible the four bolts holding the organizer plate in place have started leaking; I'll try the dam-building method this week. I'm also going back through my pictures from the Irma repairs when all of the mast wiring/cabling was being run to see how it looked prior to the re-stepping of the rig.

The ironic thing is, after a light shower yesterday morning, slight trickles were present in the compression post and on the wiring. We had to leave the boat to run errands, and while we were gone, rain fell in epic proportions...and the post, the wiring, the spaces beneath them both...all bone dry.

Thanks again -

Bill & Lisa Ballard
S/V Jo Beth
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
svjobeth is online now  
post #40 of 41 Old 6 Hours Ago Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jvlassak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston area
Posts: 333
Thanks: 41
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

Bill,

In my case, water was entering between the cast aluminum piece and the stainless tray. It wicked through all the way to the standpipe and ran down the wires. I discovered that when I was hosing down the deck. You can easily check using Bill's method. Unfortunately, sealing the mast will not help you in that case and you'd have to pull your mast. Once pulled, it's an easy fix since the two screws holding down the mast step are lag bolts.

The two screws are unlikely to allow water to run down the wires since they do not go all the way through the deck.

I hope the water is not entering between the deck and the stainless tray, as that is a much more difficult fix. The bolts holding down the stainless plate are real bolts and only two of the nuts are readily accessible. On my boat, the other two are under the compression post and the bulkhead. Thumper at Pacific Seacraft told me that when they replace that part, they simply cut off the heads of the bolts.

Best of luck tracking down the leak.

Joost


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
jvlassak is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
svjobeth



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STUFF to seal leak at mast step CLOSECALL Gear & Maintenance 10 03-14-2014 06:31 PM
Is there a step by step for a stepping of the mast? Skipper Joe Gear & Maintenance 5 07-15-2009 07:45 PM
used PSC-34's x 2 in san diego, x 1 PSC-31 in dana point AlexHazzard Pacific Seacraft 0 08-18-2007 01:44 PM
Mast Step Leak- Ranger 33 FriendsonFire Gear & Maintenance 7 07-29-2007 12:57 AM
Mast Step Leak Uncle General Discussion (sailing related) 8 02-28-2007 10:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome