SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Mast Step leak PSC 34 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/329320-mast-step-leak-psc-34-a.html)

jvlassak 04-21-2019 06:33 PM

Mast Step leak PSC 34

I noticed a couple days ago that there is a leak near the mast step. When it rains, water is coming down the inside of the compression post. Does anyone have pictures of what the mast step looks like with the mast removed? I need to figure out how to fix this problem. I'm pretty sure that water is not coming down through the standpipe with the wires, I sealed that a while ago. My guess is the bolts of either the stainless plate or the mast step.

Thanks,
Joost

roverhi 04-21-2019 07:18 PM

Re: Mast Step leak PSC 34

The problem is that the core under the mast step is probably plywood. Water getting into the plywood will rot it out right quick. That is something you need to got on immediately before cost of repair escalates. Will probably require pulling the stick to get at the mast step base.

elliowb 04-21-2019 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlassak (Post 2051597408)
I noticed a couple days ago that there is a leak near the mast step. When it rains, water is coming down the inside of the compression post. Does anyone have pictures of what the mast step looks like with the mast removed? I need to figure out how to fix this problem. I'm pretty sure that water is not coming down through the standpipe with the wires, I sealed that a while ago. My guess is the bolts of either the stainless plate or the mast step.

Thanks,
Joost

I looked through several years of boat pics, but this is all I could come up with. I'm sure that others have a better photo. If nothing shows up before Wednesday, I'm going to the boat again and will shot one then.

jvlassak 04-21-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliowb (Post 2051597458)
I looked through several years of boat pics, but this is all I could come up with. I'm sure that others have a better photo. If nothing shows up before Wednesday, I'm going to the boat again and will shot one then.

Thanks, Bill, I'm trying to figure out what the possible paths of ingress are other than the standpipe for the wires. I had the mast stepped in fall to fix a bunch of stuff, it's a shame I didn't find out back then (or take a picture).

PhilCarlson 04-22-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlassak (Post 2051597468)
...it's a shame I didn't find out back then (or take a picture).

If there is one thing I've learned, it's to photograph EVERYTHING!

jvlassak 04-22-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilCarlson (Post 2051597494)
If there is one thing I've learned, it's to photograph EVERYTHING!

Live and learn...I'll be doing that going forward.

elliowb 04-22-2019 09:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlassak (Post 2051597496)
Live and learn...I'll be doing that going forward.

I ended up going to the boat today and shot a few photos for you. Hope that they help. Basically, there are two bolts that secure the casing to the cabin top. One thing you might check, if you haven't already is to be sure that the two limber holes are clear of any debris.

jvlassak 04-22-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliowb (Post 2051597618)
I ended up going to the boat today and shot a few photos for you. Hope that they help. Basically, there are two bolts that secure the casing to the cabin top. One thing you might check, if you haven't already is to be sure that the two limber holes are clear of any debris.

Thanks, Bill, this is perfect. Much appreciated. The limber holes are clear, I actually drilled a small additional limber hole to prevent water from overflowing the standpipe. I think water is getting in via one of the two bolts. I assumed the corresponding nuts were under the vinyl lining as seems to be the case for the PSC 37, but according to Thumper they are lag bolts on the PSC 34.

Joost

Interlude 04-25-2019 09:12 PM

Well know this is a thread for a 34 mast step leak but curious if anyone has thoughts about how the mast step on a 1989 vintage PSC31 is handled. It appears we also have a little leak with water coming down the compression post as well. It's been 10 years since she had her mast down and not on our watch.

fune31 04-25-2019 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of a PSC 31 mast step. It looks very similar to the PSC 34.