remote VHF radio mic installation at helm? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 04-24-2019

Re: remote VHF radio mic installation at helm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
I have the Standard Horizon remote mic installed at the helm station with the cable pulled through one of the binnacle tubes. I did have to pull the other wires in the tube out and re-pull everything together when I did the install - maybe that would work for you, too?

There’s also a handheld at the helm station, too, for just in case. Department of Redundancy Department requirement......
Rather than try cramming wires through the binnacle tubes when I converted to Electric Propulsion. I used a PVC pipe screwed into a water fill connector mounted into the cockpit deck. This made helm wiring runs and changes very easy. https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011...s-to-helm.html

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 04-24-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 04-24-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Rather than try cramming wires through the binnacle tubes when I converted to Electric Propulsion. I used a PVC tube screwed into a fuel filler connector mounted into the cockpit deck. Made helm wiring runs and changes very easy. https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011...s-to-helm.html
Nicely done! What a great idea.....

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #13 of 19 Old 04-24-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
I just use a handheld radio at the helm. Fine for 99% of communication. Being waterproof and floating with DSC and GPS included, it's also a safety item if worn on the person. And it can be used in the dinghy.
I have a handheld at my helm too... I agree it is sufficient for the majority of the time.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-24-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Rather than try cramming wires through the binnacle tubes when I converted to Electric Propulsion. I used a PVC pipe screwed into a water fill connector mounted into the cockpit deck. This made helm wiring runs and changes very easy. https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011...s-to-helm.html
That's brilliant!
post #15 of 19 Old 04-24-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey kbbarton: I have a tiller but the PO wired the starboard stowage cubby for an ICOM Commandmike III. It is easy to access from the overhead in the pilot berth. The cubby also provides convenient stowage for the mike.

It recently stopped working, I miss the remote speaker part of the mike, not so much the ability to transmit from the cockpit.

regards charge
Wow, in the starboard cockpit cubby... that never occurred to me, but it might work nicely!
post #16 of 19 Old 04-24-2019

I finally bought a handheld that has decent battery life...after wasting bucks.
I use vhf almost never
post #17 of 19 Old 04-24-2019

I installed my RAM inside the coaming, just aft of the wheel to starboard. I previously had an old Autohelm wheelpilot control head mounted there, so I had some existing holes. This site keeps the mike out of the way. The mike clip is obvious, and the connector is to the left of the shore power fitting.

I have to deal with two drawbridges to and from my dock, so this is a very handy arrangement. Otherwise, the mother radio is down below and not usually convenient, unless we are at anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
SeaScape RAM mike locations-110327.JPG  
mbianka likes this.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-25-2019

For what it's worth I have had three Icom Command mics, none of which worked for more than a year or so. The plug is extremely delicate and it didn't help that the place in the cockpit where it connected was an area with some traffic. The problems we had were not so much related to the plug as that the mics just quit receiving or transmitting. I sent the base radio and mic in within the first year or two, then replaced the mic twice more before giving up and buying a handheld a few years ago. Going to try again with the B&G system (wireless) on the new boat.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefuller View Post
For what it's worth I have had three Icom Command mics, none of which worked for more than a year or so. The plug is extremely delicate and it didn't help that the place in the cockpit where it connected was an area with some traffic. The problems we had were not so much related to the plug as that the mics just quit receiving or transmitting. I sent the base radio and mic in within the first year or two, then replaced the mic twice more before giving up and buying a handheld a few years ago. Going to try again with the B&G system (wireless) on the new boat.
I also had a problem with an ICOM command mike a number of years ago, due to the weakness of the panel mounted connector that would get bumped periodically. It was just plain flimsy. I replaced the VHF and remote mike with a Standard Horizon version and havenít had a problem.

I have also noticed that ICOM beefed up their connector, which is similar to the SH connector, so it may no longer be a problem.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in