SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

remote VHF radio mic installation at helm?

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  fallard 
#1 ·
I'd like to install a remote mic (e.g. ICOM CommandMic) at my helm and I'm looking for recommendations how where to pull the wire - the binnacle tubes are already crowded with cables as is, so I think I'm going to have to find an alternate path. If anyone has done this, I'd really like to hear how it was done!

#2 ·
I had plenty of room in mine, but I also upgraded to a NMEA 2000 system, which allows one to daisy chain the instruments in the pod. So if you still have a NMEA 0183 system, maybe this is the excuse to upgrade? :grin :grin Then you only need one cable to feed the instruments.

On the other hand, they have wireless remote mics, maybe that would be an alternative?

Attachments

#3 ·
The only time I am driving from the helm is in close quarters with other boats... or motoring down a fairway/channel to a fuel dock. In these cases I use a handheld VHF Horizon HX870. It has AIS, GPS etc.

The vast majority of the time underway the boat is steered by AP.

The fixed mount VHF Horizon GX2200 is at my nav desk where I have a plotter which shows AIS targets. I use this location to make longer range calls.

For my style of sailing I don't need a fixed mount unit at the helm or even a remote... though this could replace the hand held. However the hand held is portable and I can use it in the dink if I want. The hand held is providing flexibility and some redundancy.

#4 ·
Hey kbbarton: I have a tiller but the PO wired the starboard stowage cubby for an ICOM Commandmike III. It is easy to access from the overhead in the pilot berth. The cubby also provides convenient stowage for the mike.

It recently stopped working, I miss the remote speaker part of the mike, not so much the ability to transmit from the cockpit.

regards charge

#5 ·
Ours is just inside the companionway, on the side of the bulkhead-mounted cabinet. This location makes it easily accessible from the cockpit, while keeping it protected from the weather. Our boat has a tiller, so it is a little easier for the person on the helm to reach in and grab the mic than it would be if we had a wheel.

#9 ·
I'm in the process of installing a remote helm mic and installing the base station in the forward cabin. I've spent my winter visits to try and find what the path where the windlass wires were installed. I was hoping the remote Mic and power to the radio could follow the same path. So far it's a mystery.

#10 ·
I have the Standard Horizon remote mic installed at the helm station with the cable pulled through one of the binnacle tubes. I did have to pull the other wires in the tube out and re-pull everything together when I did the install - maybe that would work for you, too?

There’s also a handheld at the helm station, too, for just in case. Department of Redundancy Department requirement......

Reactions: kbbarton
#11 · (Edited)
I have the Standard Horizon remote mic installed at the helm station with the cable pulled through one of the binnacle tubes. I did have to pull the other wires in the tube out and re-pull everything together when I did the install - maybe that would work for you, too?

There's also a handheld at the helm station, too, for just in case. Department of Redundancy Department requirement......
Rather than try cramming wires through the binnacle tubes when I converted to Electric Propulsion. I used a PVC pipe screwed into a water fill connector mounted into the cockpit deck. This made helm wiring runs and changes very easy. https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011/03/running-wires-to-helm.html

#17 ·
I installed my RAM inside the coaming, just aft of the wheel to starboard. I previously had an old Autohelm wheelpilot control head mounted there, so I had some existing holes. This site keeps the mike out of the way. The mike clip is obvious, and the connector is to the left of the shore power fitting.

I have to deal with two drawbridges to and from my dock, so this is a very handy arrangement. Otherwise, the mother radio is down below and not usually convenient, unless we are at anchor.

Attachments

#18 ·
For what it's worth I have had three Icom Command mics, none of which worked for more than a year or so. The plug is extremely delicate and it didn't help that the place in the cockpit where it connected was an area with some traffic. The problems we had were not so much related to the plug as that the mics just quit receiving or transmitting. I sent the base radio and mic in within the first year or two, then replaced the mic twice more before giving up and buying a handheld a few years ago. Going to try again with the B&G system (wireless) on the new boat.

#19 ·
I also had a problem with an ICOM command mike a number of years ago, due to the weakness of the panel mounted connector that would get bumped periodically. It was just plain flimsy. I replaced the VHF and remote mike with a Standard Horizon version and haven't had a problem.

I have also noticed that ICOM beefed up their connector, which is similar to the SH connector, so it may no longer be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.