Motoring RPM - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 07-25-2019 Thread Starter

Motoring RPM

1988 PSC 34 Yanmar 3hm35F 2 blade prop 17X10 RH
I understand that this engine is designed to run at a peak continuous rpm of 3200. My throttle pegs at 2400. It seems I am leaving a lot of power unused and therefore losing potential speed motoring. Is the solution a throttle adjustment? What role does the propeller play in this? I have sailed the boat since I purchased it 4 years ago typically motoring at 2000-2200 rpm because this seemed appropriate given that flat out is 2400.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-25-2019

Re: Motoring RPM

Does the boat reach hull speed? If it does, then it won't go any faster, regardless of increasing engine RPM. Most likely explanation is that you are "over-propped" (either the pitch or diameter of the prop is too great), so the engine is unable to get up to full RPMs. If it is over-propped, you should consider an appropriately-sized prop because you are increasing the wear on the engine and transmission. Another simple explanation may be your fuel filters. Have you changed them? How does the engine run at idle? Does it run rough or seem like it is being starved of fuel?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-25-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I will need to do some test runs with the throttle maxed out at 2400 to see if I reach the rate hull speed of 6.9 kts. At 2200 I am certainly not getting anywhere near that speed - typically +/- 5.5 kts

The engine seems to run great with no apparent issues. Frequent fuel filter changes and new fuel pumps (both lift pump and primary fuel pump) in the last 2 years.

post #4 of 23 Old 07-25-2019

Dock

If you google 3hm35F RPM there is quite a lot of discussion out there:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacif...35f-psc34.html
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...-3hm30f.19055/

The Max RPM rating on that engine is 3400 for 1 hour or 3200 continious. Cruising speed should be around 70-80% of the continious rating. Have you verified your tac reading?

Does the engine top out at 2400 when it's not in gear? If so you're probably looking at a throttle adjustment. I don't know if this engine is governed.

Does it feel boggy or blow black smoke at the top end? Both would suggest resistance in the system which could point to over-prop if in gear, or restricted exhaust if not in gear. There are other possible culprits.

Last edited by PhilCarlson; 07-25-2019 at 11:42 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-25-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Two questions: When you say "cruising speed" is the assumption that you are motoring at or near full hull speed (flat water no head winds etc)? Second, if an engine is rated for 3200 rpm continuous is this intended to be the rpm under running load? It would seem odd to me to rate an engine for 3200 rpm but have typical max rpm under running conditions much lower at 2400.

I will definitely test the man rpm in neutral next time I am on the boat to see if I can reach the 3200 or even the 3400 amp limit. I understand that many owners are using different props from mine. I am curious if anyone else has the same 2 blade set up that I do. Does anyone know if there was a "stock" propeller set up?
post #6 of 23 Old 07-25-2019

Dock

The engine RPM ratings are based on what the manufacturere says the the engine can do without damaging itself, and yes that is loaded. 'Cruising RPM' has more to do with optimal fuel consumption. You'll need to find the sweet spot between RPM, acceptable cruising speed, and fuel consumption.

You can use this calculator to get a theoretical best prop size for your boat/driveline: https://www.vicprop.com/displacement_size.php It's not gospel, but it is useful.

You would want to make hull speed, or very close to it, at your cruising RPM in calm conditions. In this context, all boat speed measurements are through the water, not speed over ground.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-25-2019
Senior Moment Member

Yanmar says a 17 X 11 two blade is correct so over propping would not seem to be the issue.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-25-2019 Thread Starter

I ran that prop size calculation on the link you sent using 3200 for the max rpm (max continuous rating) and for a 2 blade prop the recommended size came out 16.8 dia. 9.4 pitch. Pretty spot on for my existing prop. Given the info compiled here it seems I should feel comfortable running with my throttle maxed out at 2400 rather than 80% of that or 2000.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-25-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah71 View Post
Given the info compiled here it seems I should feel comfortable running with my throttle maxed out at 2400 rather than 80% of that or 2000.
Yes, the engine can handle it. 2400 right in the middle of 70-80% of max rated RPM. Are you sure your tachometer is giving you a true reading?
post #10 of 23 Old 07-25-2019

Question Re: Motoring RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah71 View Post
1988 PSC 34 Yanmar 3hm35F 2 blade prop 17X10 RH
I understand that this engine is designed to run at a peak continuous rpm of 3200. My throttle pegs at 2400. It seems I am leaving a lot of power unused and therefore losing potential speed motoring. Is the solution a throttle adjustment? What role does the propeller play in this? I have sailed the boat since I purchased it 4 years ago typically motoring at 2000-2200 rpm because this seemed appropriate given that flat out is 2400.

Thoughts?
What is your motoring speed at 2400 rpm? I would imagine that your boat would motor at at least 6.5 kts.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in