PS34 with Lofrans Tigres - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 10-10-2019 Thread Starter
Voyager In Training

Re: PS34 with Lofrans Tigres

Hi Charlie,

I've yet to install and use my new Tigres, but I did find the owner's manual on the imtra website (imtra.com) to be more useful than the manual from the Lofrans website. Also, Lofrans makes a "maintenance kit" specifically for the Tigres that has replacements for those parts most prone to wear and corrosion. It may be money well spent if your Tigres hasn't seen much TLC over a period of years and/or have on hand if you're cruising.

Best prices for Lofrans stuff I've found is Jimmy Green Marine. Very helpful sales/customer support and fast shipping as well.

Fair winds!
Paul

Paul
S/V Seeking Sanity
Pacific Seacraft 34
The Following User Says Thank You to Seeking Sanity For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (10-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 10-10-2019
Master Mariner

The three 'horns' on the gypsy cone are to put the windlass handle over (one at a time) and use it as a brake when freefalling the windlass. That way you can lower the anchor as fast or as slow as you want. We only use the electric down when the anchor is already set and we need to release the snub and let out more scope. It's way too slow to get the anchor to the bottom where we wish it, if there is any wind blowing.
There is a lock mechanism on the gypsy to secure it and allow you to use the drum independently, when you release the brake cone. You should not try to use both at the same time. The holes in the drum side are to put the handle in and use the windlass as a manual windlass, should the power fail, so don't let anyone tell you a powered windlass is a bad idea. That's just ignorance talking.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
post #13 of 15 Old 10-10-2019
deisher6

Hey Paul and Capta:
The IMTRA site does provide better information than the Lofrans site.

Messing about with the windlass yesterday I loosened the gypsy. The chain spindle did not loosen up or free wheel. I gathered that was how it was supposed to work from the sketchy manual. Thanks for the confirmation.

It is a good deal that so far I have not anchored in deep water.

So, I just ordered the spares kit. Checking quickly with Defender the Jimmy Green Marine price was around $30 less expensive.

When I receive the parts kit I will catch up with long overdue maintenance.

Thank you both for the scoop / advice.

regards charlie

post #14 of 15 Old 10-10-2019
Master Mariner

We do our windlass about 4 times a year. First remove the stripper, then turn the horned cone all the way off. Remove any other parts from the spindle and remove old grease and re-grease all well except the cone and the surface it bears on. Reassemble. Do the drum side at least twice a year or it will seize up and be most difficult to remove. That side will let you know in no uncertain terms when it needs maintenance as the ratchet will begin to clang loudly as the windlass turns.
Remember, these windlass use stainless and alloy together and need disassembly occasionally. Isolation compounds won't work as they need grease to lubricate them.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
post #15 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago

GREETINGS EATHLINGS I have mounted mine on a piece of I beam, because it gives a better grip on the chain and a better lead for the chain drop and acts as a mount for the baby stay on the deck . normally cover it up with a OLD 5 gall drum but before I put up on deck I painted it black then painted it again White as it blends into the colour seam the I beam has two holes drilled in to the upright for shackles and fixtures nice bit of kit (sorry I do not know how to upload pics ) AS ALWAYS GO SAFE

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in