PS34 with Lofrans Tigres - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-06-2019 Thread Starter
Voyager In Training

PS34 with Lofrans Tigres

Hi all,

I'm gathering information about installing a Lofrans Tigres on my PS34. For those of you that have a PS 34 with a Tigres, I would greatly appreciate any comments you have about how the Tigres is working out for you. Again, specifically PS34's.

I'll be replacing the original Muir Hercules and I'm hoping to have the chain drop further aft as my current setup consistently jams due to the chain "castling" up. It also looks as though I'll need to raise the Tigress up around 2.5", putting the cleat about 14" high. I'm also considering cutting out the center divider in the chain locker to allow the chain to spread out more to help with potential jamming issues.

Anyway, tips, tricks, do's and dont's etc are all welcome.

Thanks!

Paul
S/V Seeking Sanity
Pacific Seacraft 34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-08-2019
deisher6

Re: PS34 with Lofrans Tigres

Hey Paul: We have a Lofrans Tigres on our PS43. It was installed by a PO. I have not paid any particular attention to it and it has not been a problem except jamming when the chain piles up in the locker. This was due to worn corroded chain and 100 feet of rope attached to the 120 feet of chain. I shortened the rope to about 10 feet and reversed the chain.

I would be glad to provide any pictures and dimensions that you would ask for.

regards charlie
PS 34 Windrunner
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_1637.jpg  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-08-2019 Thread Starter
Voyager In Training

Hi, Charlie

Thanks for the response and offer. Glad to hear the Tigres itself hasn't been a problem. I hope to mitigate the jamming issue by installing the windlass as far aft and to the port as possible while remaining within the dimensions of the original pad. Since I'm looking at 300' of chain, it's clear to me now that I'll need to remove the chain locker partition so that it can spread out.

I'd be interested in the height of your teak pad and knowing if it is sloped at all. Ideally, also photos from each side and from the top down if you have 'em. It would be much appreciated.

I'm researching material for use as a pad. Lot's of options, so we'll so how that goes.

Thanks!

Paul
S/V Seeking Sanity
Pacific Seacraft 34

post #4 of 15 Old 08-08-2019
Master Mariner

Our Tigress was probably over 35 years old when the attachment legs finally failed. It still ran like a top, though.
I'd advise regular disassembly, cleaning and greasing of the drum and gypsy, and once in a while pull off the motor cover to check (and clean) the connections. Definitely, use the freefall feature to get your anchor to the bottom swiftly.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 15 Old 08-08-2019
deisher6

Hey Paul: Good as any excuse to go to the boat. The teak windless pad is 2 inches thick fore and aft. I hope that the flicks help.
regards charlie
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_2295.jpg   SAM_2294.jpg   SAM_2293.jpg   SAM_2289.jpg  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-08-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey Paul: We have a Lofrans Tigres on our PS43. It was installed by a PO. I have not paid any particular attention to it and it has not been a problem except jamming when the chain piles up in the locker. This was due to worn corroded chain and 100 feet of rope attached to the 120 feet of chain. I shortened the rope to about 10 feet and reversed the chain.

I would be glad to provide any pictures and dimensions that you would ask for.

regards charlie
PS 34 Windrunner
So you only have 130 ft to anchor with?
20 ft of water plus 5 ft freeboard is 25 ....that means you can’t anchor greater than 5x1 scope ratio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 15 Old 08-08-2019

Change the rope to 8 plait and it will lay down.

Last edited by RegisteredUser; 08-08-2019 at 08:09 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-08-2019 Thread Starter
Voyager In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey Paul: Good as any excuse to go to the boat. The teak windless pad is 2 inches thick fore and aft. I hope that the flicks help.
regards charlie
Big thanks to you Charlie. The pictures put things in proper perspective.

Paul
S/V Seeking Sanity
Pacific Seacraft 34
post #9 of 15 Old 08-09-2019
deisher6

Hey chef2sail:
Thanks for your concern.

You are a little long on the freeboard it is closer to 3 feet.

I usually anchor in around 10 feet of water here on the Pamlico Sound and rivers. Just in case though I have two other rodes aboard with a total of 250 feet of rope and chain in the forward port locker and in stern locker.

regards charlie
post #10 of 15 Old 10-10-2019
deisher6

I would like to learn more about our Lofrans Tigres windlass. Particularly: how to 'free wheel' when lowering the anchor, how to weigh anchor manually, and how to perform preventative maintenance. A parts illustration would help.

I replaced the Imtra foot switch (down) yesterday. It was not a problem lowering the anchor by hand, but I would like to know how to disengage the drum. I suspect that the brake is frozen.

I would add that I would recommend replacing a faulty foot switch. I dissembled the old one. It was simple, robust in construction and easy to clean. The old one now functions and will serve as a spare.

I have a multi language, multi windlass, Lofrans Information and Users Manual (PDF) obtained from Lofrans that does not help much.

Thank you for your assistance with any more information.

regards charlie

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in