PSC34: Rebedding deck hardware and awlgrip deck - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

PSC34: Rebedding deck hardware and awlgrip deck

We're going to rebed all of the hardware on deck... discovering pesky leaks on offshore sails and we want to make sure that everything is watertight for our trip across the Atlantic.

While we're at it we thought it made sense to repaint the deck. Have any of you done this? What did you do about the non-skid? It seems pretty beefy so we're wondering if you just painted over it, or sanded it down and replaced it.

Thanks!

Bob

Bob Dugan
1988 PSC34 Emerald
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA // Bustins Island, ME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: PSC34: Rebedding deck hardware and awlgrip deck

Paint isn't as durable as gel coat. It scratches way easier and chalks over time. Stay with gel coat as long as you can. Painted my deck because of a ton of holes from old equipment and major changes to the ports. Pulled all the hardware off the deck which took a long time to remove and more time to reinstall. Keep all the fasteners, machine screws, washers, and nuts with the fittings or you'll go crazy trying to pair them up later. Used Kiwi grip and just painted over the non skid. It was thick and filled in the divots in the non skid. Sanded the non skid off on another boat but it took forever and created an unholy mess with fiberglass dust everywhere.
bobdugan likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
bobdugan (1 Week Ago)
post #3 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Do you have a Crealock? The non-skid is raised on deck and pretty substantial. I think it would be a very onerous task to remove all of the non-skid on the boat and add new non-skid. I'm wondering what other folks have done in this situation... if like you they've just painted over the non-skid with other non-skid.

Bob

Bob Dugan
1988 PSC34 Emerald

post #4 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Whether it makes sense to paint the deck entirely depends on the condition of the deck. If the gelcoat is in good condition, or could be restored to good condition with the usual process (light sand, gel coat compound, polish, wax) I would say it's not a good idea to paint.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkSF For This Useful Post:
bobdugan (1 Week Ago)
post #5 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

This makes more sense.

I figured that if I was going to remove all the deck hardware and rebed everything I might as well paint the deck.

But removing that non-skid on a PSC34 is really a big project.

So maybe compound and buff is the way to go.

Bob

Bob Dugan
1988 PSC34 Emerald
post #6 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Never paint a deck, unless you have literally no other choice. It's definitely not the way to spruce up.

Then, if you do, I'd use Alexseal, not Awlgrip. Same hardness, but Alexseal is repairable, Awlgrip is not. Either way, you'll scratch your paint and it will look poor. Once painted, always painted. Over and over. I love the look of a painted mast, but same rule applies. Not unless absolutely necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

OK , now I think I have it . Your non skid was bonded on ? A friend of mine had a Fisher Pilot House with bonded on non skid , after a long time it started coming off . He had it replaced , as like you say that's a big job , but it turned out nice and I'm sure it's still holding up for the new owner .
Another friend of mine painted his non skid with Interlux Interdeck , his molded in non skid is shallow . After he got done it looked really good and the grit is not real ruff but has good grip .https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Interde...53.m1438.l2649

Over the years I have used Boat Life for bedding with mixed results . My last bedding project I used 3M 4200 , the leak is still there . No fault of the 4200 I'm sure , gotta try it one more time . My latest leak is in my main sheet traveler where it screws down , so I have to be able to shoot the compound down the hole and then screw in the screw .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #8 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
OK , now I think I have it . Your non skid was bonded on ? A friend of mine had a Fisher Pilot House with bonded on non skid , after a long time it started coming off . He had it replaced , as like you say that's a big job , but it turned out nice and I'm sure it's still holding up for the new owner .
Another friend of mine painted his non skid with Interlux Interdeck , his molded in non skid is shallow . After he got done it looked really good and the grit is not real ruff but has good grip .https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Interde...53.m1438.l2649

Over the years I have used Boat Life for bedding with mixed results . My last bedding project I used 3M 4200 , the leak is still there . No fault of the 4200 I'm sure , gotta try it one more time . My latest leak is in my main sheet traveler where it screws down , so I have to be able to shoot the compound down the hole and then screw in the screw .
Mark, the non-skid on a PSC34 is in the mold.

Bob, I would not remove the original non-skid unless it is crazed or severely damaged. And I would doubt that it is crazed, not on a PSC34. If you have some really dull cloudy gelcoat, you can use some of the super fine Mirlon sanding pads (I know that you can get them at Woodcraft). They come in 1500 and 2500 grit. Then go to rubbing compound and work your way up to finer and finer compound (see https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...olish-wax.html).

-- Bill

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #9 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdugan View Post
While we're at it we thought it made sense to repaint the deck.
Is your deck already painted?

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
bobdugan (1 Week Ago)
post #10 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Is your deck already painted?

Bill
Bill,

No the deck is not painted.

My original thought that since I was taking off all the hardware it made sense to paint the deck.

Now though based on everyone's advice I think I should not paint the deck... that sanding and buffing is a better way to go.

Glad I have this place as a resource!

Bob

Bob Dugan
1988 PSC34 Emerald

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in