stiff steering - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 09-16-2019 Thread Starter

Re: stiff steering

Good suggestion on calling PSC and seeing if they have recommendations. I have called Whitlock (now Lewmar) on steering and B&G on drive unit. Some support but a lot of putting the pieces together for one's self.
wsmurdoch likes this.

Seacurves
PSC37 #359
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 09-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacurves View Post
Is this the gudgeon (red arrow pointing to it). If so, approximately where is the small hole I can add lubricant to?
The gudgeon is the heavy piece of bronze at the bottom of the skeg that supports the rudder. In the drawing, it is the small rectangle at the bottom of the rudder. It should have a zinc on it. The hole is in the bottom of the gudgeon. It may be a bit larger than a pencil, but it's pretty easy to insert a grease gun and inject grease all around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #23 of 38 Old 09-17-2019

Dear Seacurves,

I had the same stiffness problem and, after trying to grease this or that, finally dropped the rudder and discovered that the rudder shaft itself was rubbing on what I suppose must be called the rudder tube (the fiber glass tube inside which the rudder post runs and turns). Some judicious grinding by a very talented metal worker (not me!) plus lots of heavy grease and the problem was gone.

I'm not sure this is the same as the problem you face because in my case the stiffness was there 24/7, not just underway.

Good luck finding and fixing it, Jay

PSC 37 Kenlanu

post #24 of 38 Old 09-22-2019
s/v Pelagic

FYI in the interest of reducing another possible source of friction

From a previous post called “C37 Rudder Maintenance” I mentioned rudder thrust bearings. They are about 5/16” thick with an ID that fits the rudder stock and an OD about 3 1/2”.

“Don Kohlman recommended and sold me two Orcot thrust bearings to put above and below the rudder. I was able to put the lower one on the bronze gudgeon but there was not enough room for the upper one. Since PSC sold them to me I am guessing they became standard on boats after 1999.”

NB: Don Kohlman was a previous company owner in SoCal.

John
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl
post #25 of 38 Old 09-29-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
There is a small hole at the bottom of the gudgeon that you can squirt grease into with a grease gun. Initially it won't do much, but the grease will eventually work its way down the shaft lubricating it.
So this seemed like a very promising direction. However, I called PSC and chatted with Thumper and he suggested there was no hole in the bottom of the gudgeon for grease to be squirted into. He asked I take pics of the rudder when out of the water to confirm the bushings between the top and bottom of rudder were still in place. I took the pics and sent to him. Nonetheless, the bushings looked fine.

Just to be clear, the noise is when we are not moving, just turning the wheel. When we are moving too many other noises to distinguish this one. But very clear rubbing, scraping when we move the wheel at dock. And quite stiff steering.

Getting back to Thumper's recommendation thus far, the grease nipple at the bottom of the steering pedestal is a likely problem point. Very hard to get to and really just a hole not a grease nipple per se (I will try to attach a pic of it). So maybe at least part of the problem??? On the other hand the rudder pole (not sure of correct name) is a very interesting possibility.

I will try to connect with Thumper this week and get further input and post accordingly.

BTW, thank you sailnet.com buddies and PSC owners! Once our equipment is older it takes a village to figure this stuff out! No longer mechanics that are familiar or tech support lines that care, etc. Really appreciate the ideas and conversation.
Attached Thumbnails
Grease nipple.JPG  

Seacurves
PSC37 #359
post #26 of 38 Old 09-29-2019

Thanks for the update. Where was the picture of the grease nipple taken? Is that from inside the boat looking up at the pedestal? I grease the various bearings in the pedestal every year, but don't know about a grease nipple at the bottom of the pedestal. There is a small hole in the bottom of the gudgeon (at least on my boat), although squirting in grease may not have been its intended purpose originally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #27 of 38 Old 09-29-2019
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacurves View Post
So this seemed like a very promising direction. However, I called PSC and chatted with Thumper and he suggested there was no hole in the bottom of the gudgeon for grease to be squirted into. He asked I take pics of the rudder when out of the water to confirm the bushings between the top and bottom of rudder were still in place. I took the pics and sent to him. Nonetheless, the bushings looked fine.

Just to be clear, the noise is when we are not moving, just turning the wheel. When we are moving too many other noises to distinguish this one. But very clear rubbing, scraping when we move the wheel at dock. And quite stiff steering.

Getting back to Thumper's recommendation thus far, the grease nipple at the bottom of the steering pedestal is a likely problem point. Very hard to get to and really just a hole not a grease nipple per se (I will try to attach a pic of it). So maybe at least part of the problem??? On the other hand the rudder pole (not sure of correct name) is a very interesting possibility.

I will try to connect with Thumper this week and get further input and post accordingly.

BTW, thank you sailnet.com buddies and PSC owners! Once our equipment is older it takes a village to figure this stuff out! No longer mechanics that are familiar or tech support lines that care, etc. Really appreciate the ideas and conversation.
I need to look at mine again, as I said I have the same pedestal, is this a ball bearing at the base or a bronze bushing? Regardless if it's that rough grease alone might not do the job, some seizing or galling might have taken over. Please post conclusion when you find it.
post #28 of 38 Old 09-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
Thanks for the update. Where was the picture of the grease nipple taken? Is that from inside the boat looking up at the pedestal? I grease the various bearings in the pedestal every year, but don't know about a grease nipple at the bottom of the pedestal. There is a small hole in the bottom of the gudgeon (at least on my boat), although squirting in grease may not have been its intended purpose originally.
Never mind - I just noticed you have a different pedestal - no wonder i didn't recognize that part...

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #29 of 38 Old 09-29-2019

This opinion is coming from a sailor with no direct experience with wheel steering. However, from other situations involving noises and binding, I know that a stethoscope can sometimes work to narrow down the problem components. Where the part may be difficult to access, a long stick can be employed as well.
post #30 of 38 Old 09-29-2019 Thread Starter

Yes, I won't leave this stiff steering problem open-ended. I definitely appreciate when things can come to a well-founded conclusion and I can just read about it on sailnet.com versus write the blow-by-blow discovery process. I guess this time is my turn to do the discovery with you all helping!

Seacurves
PSC37 #359

Tags
steering system , stiff , whitlock

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in