stiff steering - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 09-13-2019 Thread Starter

stiff steering

Slowly over the past many seasons my PSC37 steering seems to be getting stiffer and stiffer. Now it is making almost vibrating, rubbing sounds too. Not good.

Here is my configuration: Whitlock Cobra steering pedestal with B&G auto-pilot and B&G RAM-T2-12 hydraulic drive unit.

I have attempted to lubricate the moving parts as follows: quadrant under compass, grease nipple at bottom of Cobra assembly (though I can't determine what is the right grease for this very hard to work location), ball bearing at beginning and end of manual steering rod, beginning and end of drive unit. In addition, about 2 years ago I had the B&G drive unit serviced to ensure the hydraulic fluid was in good shape. Nonetheless, I see no good place to grease the rudder rod as it enters the sleeve towards the water and no instructions from PSC to do so.

Any suggestions?? I am at a loss.

Seacurves
PSC37 #359
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-13-2019

Re: stiff steering

First, disconnect the B&G ram and see if there is any change. These particular rams are extremely stiff, and if the check valves or seals are questionable, they can even stutter. I know you had it serviced, but sometimes that just makes it worse.

If there is no, or little change with the ram disconnected, then likely the rudder bearings are suspect. I have no idea what the PS37 bearing arrangement is - bushings, bearings, or what not - but there could be play in them, or sticking that is causing issues. Can you dive on it, pull and push on the rudder and see if you have any play it the bearings? Perhaps the lower bearing in the skeg is gone and causing the shaft to not be in alignment?

Mark
capta likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 38 Old 09-14-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply Mark. Yes, removing the influence of drive unit would be a good start to problem-solve stiffness. However, does another PSC owner with the same equipment have a list of where they lubricate the steering system from wheel to rudder? Instead of diving I am hoping to find I am just missing a few spots that require grease. Also, what grease are they using in the grease nipple at the bottom of the Whitlock Cobra steering? Very hard to get at this location with anything but oil??

Seacurves
PSC37 #359

post #4 of 38 Old 09-14-2019

Be sure the various sheaves in the steering system are actually rotating. In my Edson system one of the sheaves was frozen. Had no effect on turning force at the dock but very stiff steering when sailing. The sheave was buried up under the cockpit so very difficult to check. Eventually removed the wheel and discovered the offending sheave. It wasn't corrosion that was hanging it up but some quirk in the design/machining. Freed it up and couldn't get it to hang up again. My have had something with the angle the wire entered the sheave.
post #5 of 38 Old 09-14-2019 Thread Starter

I don't think a hydraulic drive with rod has wire and sheaves. See attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7425.jpg  

Seacurves
PSC37 #359
post #6 of 38 Old 09-14-2019
al brazzi

Do you have an emergency tiller, and what gets disconnected to steer in an emergency? I would separate that way and use that as a direction to go in.

Not all Boats have Emergency steering, ask me how I know.. Your PSC surely does.
post #7 of 38 Old 09-14-2019

Is that top link clearing the bulkhead? Underway when everything is loaded up? Stiff, vibrating, rubbing noises.... hmmm.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #8 of 38 Old 09-14-2019 Thread Starter

Just connected the emergency tiller. Works as it is supposed to, minus the same rubbing / vibrating noises and stiffness. But that makes sense as nothing gets disconnected on PSC37 in order to operate the emergency tiller.

I need to get really small and attempt to disconnect the drive unit. Not sure I am small enough or strong enough...
elliowb likes this.

Seacurves
PSC37 #359
post #9 of 38 Old 09-14-2019

If the tiller drag was normal, then there is no reason to disconnect the ram, because it was there for the tiller experiment and wasn't an issue.

It also suggests that there is nothing amiss with your steering system or bearings, since the entire system was operating with the tiller normally.

That picture still bothers me. It wouldn't take much dimensional change in the system under load for that top link to start rubbing on the bulkhead above it.

Of course, the picture may make it look worse than it actually is.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #10 of 38 Old 09-14-2019

Is that top link the drag link to the pedestal? Are you sure it isn't touching the bulkhead above it under load? You might try as a test rotating the RRU to the side and connecting the drag link rose joint to the underside of the tiller arm. This probably won't change the angle significantly enough to interfere with the test, and would guarantee it isn't hitting anything under load.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Tags
steering system , stiff , whitlock

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in