Removing Starter - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By BirdBrain333
  • 1 Post By paulinnanaimo
  • 1 Post By wsmurdoch

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Removing Starter

I have a Universal M50B on my PSC 37, Kenlanu. I need to remove the starter and with more than the usual contortions, finally got the two bolts off (actually one bolt and one nut on a stud). BUT the starter now won't budge due, I suspect to extensive corrosion. Anybody have any tips or techniques for getting it off without breaking the bell housing of the motor?

Unfortunately there is no way to get any heat onto the joint between the starter casing and the motor. I've sprayed the 60% that I can get to with PB Blaster. Any ideas?

Many thanks, Jay

PSC 37, Kenlanu
On the hard in Camden Maine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago
al brazzi

Re: Removing Starter

Blaster will work its way around, when I need to break something loose I will put the bolts/nuts back on and leave loose a couple of turns so it doesn't drop when free. Cushion with a block of wood and hit it with a good sized hammer. Stay to the end away from the bell housing for leverage and away from the middle of the body where its weakest. Sand down and a little never seize going back together will prevent it next time.
post #3 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks! All sounds like good advice which I will follow.

Thanks again, Jay

post #4 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dear Folks,

Success! As I mentioned, I had sprayed what I could see or feel of the joint between the starter and the bell housing with lots of PB Blaster. I then let that sit overnight and in the AM took a 2' long piece of hardwood and a dead blow hammer and tried to drive the starter off by "tapping" from above. I *thought* I felt it give a bit but was not certain. I then took a 2' long pry bar and a bunch of blocks taped together and pried up from the bottom. Then I could clearly see it move. Another round of tapping from above and prying from below and off it came.

Getting the starter out was more like midwifery than mechanics but, with an eight of an inch to spare it came out. It is now off to the great folks at Bonded Auto for repair.

Phewwwww is all I can say.

Thanks for the help of this wonderful resource.

Jay
SV Kenlanu
Belfast, Maine
capta and PhilCarlson like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

BirdBrain333

Your midwifery comparison is one of the best metaphors that I've heard. Congratulation on your success with the starter.
capta likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

We have a PSC 34 with a Yanmar 3HM35F. Your description of removing a failing or failed starter matches mine. I had the old Hitachi rebuilt and reinstalled it. Not long after I came across and bought a spare starter. Beneath the starboard saloon seat it has done its duty well... I have in 13 years never needed it.
capta likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago
al brazzi

That's exactly how I would have done it, good work.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in