PSC 34 Saloon Table - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

PSC 34 Saloon Table

In August I spent 15 days on Belle Voile, sailing up to the North Channel (didn't quite make it, but that's a different story, fresh water pump failure). It was my first time spending that much time on the boat and it was a great trip.

I discovered that the current wall mounted saloon table is very unsatisfactory, at least for my tastes. The PO had removed the original deck mounted table (traded another PSC owner) and replaced it with a PS built bulkhead mounted table. Does anyone have a deck mounted table that would like to trade?

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 2 Weeks Ago
deisher6

Re: PSC 34 Saloon Table

Hey elllowb: Interesting post. Unfortunately I do not have a deck mounted table to trade.

I thought that all PSC 34's had bulkhead mounted tables until I was recently aboard Irish Eyes. I think that I prefer the bulkhead mounted table. However, I have removed the folding leaf which has made it more useful and convenient.

Good luck with your search.

Smooth Sailin'
regards charlie
post #3 of 5 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Before we bought Irish Eyes, we looked at several other PSC34s and talked with a dealer about having a new one made. We saw boats with the bulkhead mounted fold down dinette table and boats with the fixed table in the the saloon. The fold down table in its up position gives a open saloon with better access to the fuel tank and with room for a dance party. But, it is also more fragile and a bit complicated. The fixed table adds two additional hand holds at each end of the table and cuts in half the distance that one falls when thrown from one side of the saloon to the other. But, it clutters the saloon, makes access to the fuel tank difficult, and with the starboard leaf up makes it difficult to visit the head during a party. For a new boat in 2004 my price list shows the two options to have the same cost.

"Bulkhead mounted dinette table (option Ilos).........................n/c____ "

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

post #4 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey elllowb: Interesting post. Unfortunately I do not have a deck mounted table to trade.

I thought that all PSC 34's had bulkhead mounted tables until I was recently aboard Irish Eyes. I think that I prefer the bulkhead mounted table. However, I have removed the folding leaf which has made it more useful and convenient.

Good luck with your search.

Smooth Sailin'
regards charlie
That's a good idea Charlie. I may try removing the folding leaf. That's one of the problems that I found is that there is no mechanism keep the hinge from folding when the table is open. Coupled with the fact that the legs on my table only have pins that hold them into the bottom of the table. It's very easy for them to fall out and possibly have a collapse. I could figure out a way to make the system more stable, but my preference would be to go back to the deck mounted system.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #5 of 5 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Before we bought Irish Eyes, we looked at several other PSC34s and talked with a dealer about having a new one made. We saw boats with the bulkhead mounted fold down dinette table and boats with the fixed table in the the saloon. The fold down table in its up position gives a open saloon with better access to the fuel tank and with room for a dance party. But, it is also more fragile and a bit complicated. The fixed table adds two additional hand holds at each end of the table and cuts in half the distance that one falls when thrown from one side of the saloon to the other. But, it clutters the saloon, makes access to the fuel tank difficult, and with the starboard leaf up makes it difficult to visit the head during a party. For a new boat in 2004 my price list shows the two options to have the same cost.

"Bulkhead mounted dinette table (option Ilos).........................n/c____ "

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
LOL, that's exactly what I say about the bulkhead mounted table, "it's great if you wanted to hold a dance in the main saloon, but I don't want to have a dance party there."

Your points about the trade-offs are on the money.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in