what to do with old rope? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 Old 09-23-2019 Thread Starter

Re: what to do with old rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
Great suggestions.

I have bits of old line that I keep to practice knots. I work from home now but when I work in an office I keep some there as well. Great for taking breaks away from staring at the monitor, meetings I don't have to be fully engaged in, baseball games that are dragging, etc.

I've also experienced being at a dock (not our own) when a boat came in without lines. I have no idea what they were thinking when they left their own slip but it was an opportunity to offload some old line.
I have a small length of 3/8" line I keep in my backpack to practice knots as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 09-23-2019 Thread Starter

All good ideas, thanks! Now that I think about it, I can think of one marina around here that has a free-cycle bin (or at least they did several years ago...).
post #23 of 35 Old 09-24-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Old sheets and halyards become new fender whips or dock lines for the dinghy. Old fender whips and dinghy dock lines go into the dumpster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 35 Old 09-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I think there should be an annual day for all sailors to swap, trade, sell or give away their old gear. Someone will be able to use it. Each participants pays a small fee to participate and part?? of money earned should go to charities or environmental clean up projects.

Why not start a used marine stuff website? searchable by item and location....
Yes, This.
I know I could fill a webpage page or two and empty section
of my basement (pleasing the Mrs. much)
Would start with A ...my collection of retired anchors,
post #25 of 35 Old 09-25-2019

How about we start a thread and members list marine stuff they want to get rid of??? terms can be negotiated in background...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #26 of 35 Old 09-25-2019

Quote:
How about we start a thread and members list marine stuff they want to get rid of??? terms can be negotiated in background...
Itís a neat idea. Shipping is always a pita, especially if something is damaged in transit or not what the buyer expected. eBay sort of has a jump on us.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 35 Old 09-25-2019

local swap fairs could deal with ALL the junk we collect!

post #28 of 35 Old 09-26-2019

Quote:
local swap fairs could deal with ALL the junk we collect!
Every marina should do this. I'm on the mailing list of a marina I visited as a transient, who does this annually. Ours does not.

We also have a reasonably local marine consignment store. I have to admit, it's a bit of a pita for small items, but I have sold old fenders and other items that were still useful to someone. Their business has to be an inventory nightmare.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #29 of 35 Old 09-26-2019

If this idea became a national event like a holiday participation would make it worthwhile. Does take much... a few card tables and dock carts to move the stuff.... and a corner of the parking lot perhaps.

post #30 of 35 Old 09-26-2019

Quote:
If this idea became a national event like a holiday participation would make it worthwhile. Does take much... a few card tables and dock carts to move the stuff.... and a corner of the parking lot perhaps.
Good idea, I would love to see it happen. I'm sure many marinas believe their payroll will get involved somehow, either in set up, clean up or dispute resolution. If the marina has a chandlery, they are probably even less likely to want to underwrite some re-use competition.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in