what to do with old rope? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 09-26-2019

Re: what to do with old rope?

Maybe.... It also generates good will and I am sure the marina can get some boater volunteers to help. Chandleries can have a table of sale item/ loss leader to inspire boaters to purchase. The few marinas I know don't own the marine store... it's just a business who happens to serve their customers renting space on their premises. Marinas often have BBQs and so forth so a swap event is no biggie.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 09-26-2019

Most places I’ve been have a “treasures of the bilge “ on the local cruisers net. These nets seem to be fairly common in the Caribbean but to my knowledge rare in the states. These nets have been extremely helpful in many regards. Tell you about local events, security concerns and other things like who’s come in or left. Local vendors including restaurants, boat service vendors and the like say a burb at the end. Means local commercial interests are supportive. They are done on the vhf so no internet access issues. They’re very cruiser/sailor friendly and fun. Some start and end with a joke or nautical trivia.
If there were a similar local vhf net daily at a fixed time in the major sailing centers in the US the issue of what to do with things like that extra pump or alternator or rope could be easily incorporated.
Just saying........

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #33 of 35 Old 09-26-2019

Our YC is a smaller (150 boat) 'DIY" place where members do all of the maintenance.
Every year I ask for donations of used lines that the club then uses for tying, securing, and towing. Usually I get an interesting pile of old halyards and worn anchor lines. It saves all of us members some money, and our two work boats are well supplied, and so is our dredge.
I would guess that most corporate marinas could designate a day, couple of times a year, for tenants to put out their old line. As others point out, there are always uses for it.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

post #34 of 35 Old 09-26-2019

Many campers like to support large tarps over their tents to keep the area clean and dry. These tarps are usually held up by long lines tied to various trees. Perhaps you could advertise them cheap or free. Even worn lines are suitable for this.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #35 of 35 Old 09-27-2019

We rescued a six month old kitten from the SPCA. I wrapped a table leg with manila for a scratching post which worked great. The next project was to wrap the mast support in the cabin from bottom to top which is now a very popular climbing post.

I don’t know how to attach iPad photos or I would.
Minnesail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in