Anchor chain for Muir Hercules windlass - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Anchor chain for Muir Hercules windlass

Hi all - does anyone know what type of anchor chain I need for the Muir Hercules windlass that originally came with the Pacific Seacraft 34 (1995)? We lost our ground tackle in the recent storm that hit the Boston area and we're actually very lucky that our boat survived at all. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Anchor chain for Muir Hercules windlass

If the windlass came with the boat originally, Thumper, at Pacific Seacraft should have a record of its details. They keep a very detailed file on every boat. If it didn't come with the boat, the gypsy should (but not always) have the chain size and type cast into/onto it.

If a part number is stamped on the gypsy instead of a size, this chart should reveal the chain size [if not, call Imtra/Muir at (508) 995-7000]: https://www.imtra.com/COLLATERAL/DOC...HEEL_CHART.PDF

I'm so glad your boat survived all that mess. Good luck going forward.

Dave

Last edited by DaveMancini; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:48 PM. Reason: add
post #3 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks, Dave. I do believe it is the original windlass and I have a request with Thumper outstanding. I'll check to see if there is a number stamped on the gypsy.

We were really fortunate the boat survived the storm. We had 80 mph winds in the harbor and she broke three pendants, one of which was a 1 inch storm line. As she was drifting, the harbor master anchored her in the middle of the mooring field. There is some damage, but it is mostly superficial damage to the cap rails and gel coat, both of which can be repaired as good as new. Quite a few boats ran ashore that night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

post #4 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Wow! Thanks to the brave harbor master!
post #5 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMancini View Post
Wow! Thanks to the brave harbor master!
Yes, I'm thinking of getting a very nice bottle of Scotch for him and his officers...they were out all night trying to save boats.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #6 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Great idea! I like the way you think.
post #7 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

If you can't find the information stamped on the gypsy or from Thumper, you might be able to get some samples of chain from your local chandlery to test on your gypsy. They often have short pieces available. You'll need pieces that are at least 1 foot long. Online chain wholesalers will also sell 1-foot samples, but then you will have to pay for shipping, too.

Do you know approximately where your ground tackle was lost? If so, it might be worth grappling for it or hiring a diver. Could save you a large chunk of money.
post #8 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gannon View Post
If you can't find the information stamped on the gypsy or from Thumper, you might be able to get some samples of chain from your local chandlery to test on your gypsy. They often have short pieces available. You'll need pieces that are at least 1 foot long. Online chain wholesalers will also sell 1-foot samples, but then you will have to pay for shipping, too.

Do you know approximately where your ground tackle was lost? If so, it might be worth grappling for it or hiring a diver. Could save you a large chunk of money.
We attached a fender before we had to let go of the tackle. Spent a couple of hours looking for it a day later, but couldn't find it unfortunately. Good idea about the samples. I'll check the gypsy first. If that doesn't work, I'll try to get some samples.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in