problem with fuel fill - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 12-19-2019

Re: problem with fuel fill

Some holding tank vents include an activated charcoal odour remover in the line. If this gets a blurp of tank contents ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 12-19-2019
Seņor Member

Nothing so fancy on my boat. The yard owner speculated that the screens sometimes get plugged with wax from overenthusiastic Karate Kids...
post #13 of 18 Old 01-11-2020 Thread Starter

I checked the cockpit end of the vent, it's clear. I decided to follow Bill M's example and disconnect the vent hose at the fuel tank end and use the dinghy foot pump to blow it out. Not surprisingly, it was a lot easier to say it than to do it. I backed both clamps off but I cannot get the vent hose off of the hose barb. Any recommendations for how I could loosen up the end of the hose so I can pull it off? Heat gun or hair dryer maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
fuel tank vent hose.jpg  

post #14 of 18 Old 01-11-2020

Small pick
Work it around to break seal
Maybe you can then twist/pull off

You prob need to root the hose out
post #15 of 18 Old 01-11-2020

Heat is always my first thought for stuck hoses, but I’m not so sure around fuel. Diesel will auto ignite around 400 degrees F and a heat gun must get at least that hot. I think I’d avoid.

There is a tool for removing hoses. Looks like a square angled hook. They work great to remove. They often damage the hose.

Here’s a random example.

Drake Off Road 4521 Hose Removal Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SFZBG..._BxJgEbRCWBW48

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (01-11-2020)
post #16 of 18 Old 01-11-2020

KB,

How much slack is there in that hose? Seems to me there was plenty. So, if you can't easily get the sucker off, you can just cut the hose off square, then cut the detritus off the inlet fitting, then just slide the fresh end on after you've tested. It's what I did when I replaced our tank.

If you don't have enough slack to cut it off, you can take a large pair of vice-grips and grip the hose at the tank and try to rotate it to break the seal (maybe somebody used a sealant). Don't tighten the vice-grips so much that you might damage the fitting, but just enough to get the teeth of the vice-grip into the rubber. If you damage the rubber, you will only need to cut off as much as the width of the vice-grip jaws. This method has also worked for me in the past. It gives you a lot more leverage than with just your hands.

Dave

Last edited by DaveMancini; 01-11-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: add
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMancini For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (01-11-2020)
post #17 of 18 Old 01-11-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMancini View Post
KB,

How much slack is there in that hose? Seems to me there was plenty. So, if you can't easily get the sucker off, you can just cut the hose off square, then cut the detritus off the inlet fitting, then just slide the fresh end on after you've tested. It's what I did when I replaced our tank.

If you don't have enough slack to cut it off, you can take a large pair of vice-grips and grip the hose at the tank and try to rotate it to break the seal (maybe somebody used a sealant). Don't tighten the vice-grips so much that you might damage the fitting, but just enough to get the teeth of the vice-grip into the rubber. If you damage the rubber, you will only need to cut off as much as the width of the vice-grip jaws. This method has also worked for me in the past. It gives you a lot more leverage than with just your hands.

Dave
There's not much slack but is probably zip-tied to other stuff so if I can cut it loose maybe that would help. I'll give the vice-grips method a try, thanks!
post #18 of 18 Old 01-12-2020

Mud daubers are bad for making nests in vent and discharge lines. They nearly sank a power boat I was on, blocking the bilge discharge. Found the plug just in time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in