SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   problem with fuel fill (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/332140-problem-fuel-fill.html)

kbbarton 12-14-2019 09:04 PM

problem with fuel fill

I had something strange happen while I was attempting to fill my diesel tank... no matter how slow I filled it, it kept overflowing like the tank was full, but it was only 50% full. Is there a valve in the fuel fill line somewhere?? The other thing I thought of was that maybe the fuel tank vent was blocked somehow. Has this happened to anyone?

RegisteredUser 12-14-2019 09:42 PM

Re: problem with fuel fill

Your vent is blocked
Maybe baubers
This is common
Use something like weed eater line and work/twist it free from the vent side

Put a bend at the end of the line and snake it in..twist and push
Key is getting it into the vent line.
Try to..feel it, work it

Capt Len 12-14-2019 11:58 PM

Inspect the vent line. Maybe collapsed or crushed. Maybe pull at the tank and blow thru it?

MarkofSeaLife 12-15-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbbarton (Post 2051641348)
I had something strange happen while I was attempting to fill my diesel tank... no matter how slow I filled it, it kept overflowing like the tank was full, but it was only 50% full.

Was it the normal fuel pump you use? Or did you put in the high pressure pump? Or did the dock guy switch from low to high pressure?

High pressure pumps the fuel can hit the side walls of your hosepipe and create bubbles.

If not that, I'd go with the vents.

Minnewaska 12-15-2019 08:51 AM

Agree it's most likely the vents.

Sometimes you are simply displacing air faster than it can vent. If using a high speed diesel pump, designed for big ship, even going slow can be pretty fast.

wsmurdoch 12-15-2019 09:53 AM

When the same thing happened to us the vent line was plugged. Working bits of wire into the vent hole in the cockpit did nothing. I removed the vent hose from the fuel tank (careful, there will be fuel standing in the low spot in the vent line), duct taped the dinghy foot pump hose to the vent line, and jumped on the foot pump. Mud, broken pine needles, and insect parts all soaked with fuel shot out the vent. I flushed the vent line with water, blew it out with the dinghy pump, and put it all back together after threading the hose through a length of PVC pipe to remove the low spot in the hose.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

kbbarton 12-15-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsmurdoch (Post 2051641446)
When the same thing happened to us the vent line was plugged. Working bits of wire into the vent hole in the cockpit did nothing. I removed the vent hose from the fuel tank (careful, there will be fuel standing in the low spot in the vent line), duct taped the dinghy foot pump hose to the vent line, and jumped on the foot pump. Mud, broken pine needles, and insect parts all soaked with fuel shot out the vent. I flushed the vent line with water, blew it out with the dinghy pump, and put it all back together after threading the hose through a length of PVC pipe to remove the low spot in the hose.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

How in the world did *pine needles* get in there?

kbbarton 12-15-2019 09:32 PM

Blocked fuel tank vent... that would certainly do it. Thanks all!

wsmurdoch 12-15-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbbarton (Post 2051641572)
How in the world did *pine needles* get in there?

I don't know but assume that whatever insect built its mud nest in the vent line used them in the construction of its nest. They were not whole just short pieces.

ottos 12-19-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsmurdoch (Post 2051641578)
I don't know but assume that whatever insect built its mud nest in the vent line used them in the construction of its nest. They were not whole just short pieces.

Most vents come with a screen, don't they? Can they be replaced? I have a blocked vent from my holding tank that I need to get to in the spring...