Upgrade Autopilot on a PSC34 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Re: Upgrade Autopilot on a PSC34

Quote:
Originally Posted by granche1 View Post
I replaced my decrepit st4000 wheel pilot with a CPT wheel pilot on my 37 recently. This is a very simple but seemingly robust system. So far I have only used it for a few thousand miles crossing from the marshals to the Philippines but I found it to work well and did not use my windvane for any of the trip. The CPT is easy to install.

Grant

s/v Vinadante
Thanks for your suggestion Grant. I really like the simplicity and power of the CPT, but at the same time it's also so crude and rudimentary (not always a bad thing). I'd also like to be able to set in a particular wind angle and let the autopilot sail on a particular point of sail. I don't think that the CPT connects to NMEA 2K, so that isn't possible. What's your experience with regard to keeping a particular wind angle?

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by granche1 View Post
I replaced my decrepit st4000 wheel pilot with a CPT wheel pilot on my 37 recently. This is a very simple but seemingly robust system. So far I have only used it for a few thousand miles crossing from the marshals to the Philippines but I found it to work well and did not use my windvane for any of the trip.

And why not just use the windvane?

Tom

PS31#111 Cielo Azul
post #13 of 26 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thread Replies 11 and 12 bring up a different viewpoint, and one, IMHO, worth some thought. The CPT represents what mariner-engineers might call "mature technology" and that can be a lot more valuable than more-fragile schemes with additional failure points to try to address on the open sea.

My friends that have done Pacific crossings have all (!) used wind vanes. Their electric AP's are secondary.
I have only one blue water passage (crewing) and it involved a gale lasting 36 hours and no-way-no-how would we have wanted anything at the helm other than a servo pendulum vane.

I have done quite a few overnight passages off the coast and appreciate the wheel pilot, a lot. IMHO, it is best kept independent of the rest of our charting and instrument systems. The "interface" is human, i.e. us.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

post #14 of 26 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
And why not just use the windvane?

Tom
I definitely plan to have a windvane before doing any crossings. However, for the next 5 years I'm on the Great Lakes and won't need a wind vane. Because of the rivers and variable wind conditions, I find that I do a significant amount of motoring too, and for that the old ST4000 wheel pilot has been fine. I'm progressively upgrading the boat, and I'm putting off things like a dedicated MFD and windvane until toward the end of the process. I'll still do it at least a year before any offshore excursions so that I can do some testing and practice.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #15 of 26 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
Thread Replies 11 and 12 bring up a different viewpoint, and one, IMHO, worth some thought. The CPT represents what mariner-engineers might call "mature technology" and that can be a lot more valuable than more-fragile schemes with additional failure points to try to address on the open sea.
I agree with you. What I'm trying to figure out is whether there is a marginal increase in reliability with the CPT (over the EV-100), and if so, whether that more than offsets the lack of ability to interconnect with other instruments (e.g. my B&G anemometer and speedometer).

Quote:
My friends that have done Pacific crossings have all (!) used wind vanes. Their electric AP's are secondary.
I have only one blue water passage (crewing) and it involved a gale lasting 36 hours and no-way-no-how would we have wanted anything at the helm other than a servo pendulum vane.
I will definitely have a windvane before I even consider an offshore crossing.

Quote:
I have done quite a few overnight passages off the coast and appreciate the wheel pilot, a lot. IMHO, it is best kept independent of the rest of our charting and instrument systems. The "interface" is human, i.e. us.
Is that a CPT that you use? I've also had very good performance with the old ST4000, which, in my case, is also stand alone. I think what I'm thinking is if I don't give up too much, I'd like to have the option of integration.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #16 of 26 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Do any of you have a Raymarine auto pilot (preferably the EV-100) connected to a NMEA 2000 network, where your other instruments are from another manufacturer? Does your auto-pilot read data from the anemometer and speedometer?

I spoke to Raymarine Tech Support today and they said that they 'thought' the EV-100 would be able to read sentences from B&G instruments, but they wouldn't guarantee it. I thought the point of NMEA 2000 was that it was manufacture independent, and you could mix-and-match brands. Maybe that isn't true.

If I want a wheel pilot that connects to NMEA2000, Raymarine is my only choice. However, I already have B&G instruments (Triton), and will likely get a B&G MFD in a few years.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #17 of 26 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hello,

As described above, I have the EV-100 wheel pilot, B&G Vulcan 7, Ray wind, speed, depth, and Simrad AIS/VHF, all connected on a NMEA 2000 network. The Wind/Speed/Depth are older ST50 units and I use the Raymarine Seatalk to SeatalkNG to get that data on the network.

The EV100 can steer to a waypoint (provided by the Vulcan7), a compass heading (using the internal compass), or a wind angle (provided by the ST50 wind). The AP control head can display SOG (from the ST50 speed) STW (from the Vulcan 7), Depth (from either the ST50 depth or the Vulcan7), Distance to Waypoint, Time to Waypoint, VMG, etc.

All of the devices can share data. Well the ST50 speed / depth can't receive data from anything else but the rest of the devices all share data.

From my experience with NMEA2000 it really is plug and play. There is some configuration and device discovery that must be done initially but then it just works.

You do need to note that if you don't have a raymarine plotter you won't be able to upgrade the firmware in the EV100. I have installed a few FW upgrades into my Vulcan7. Not sure they did much but it was easy to do. The EV100 works fine but maybe there are upgrades that I can't take advantage of.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
Do any of you have a Raymarine auto pilot (preferably the EV-100) connected to a NMEA 2000 network, where your other instruments are from another manufacturer? Does your auto-pilot read data from the anemometer and speedometer?

I spoke to Raymarine Tech Support today and they said that they 'thought' the EV-100 would be able to read sentences from B&G instruments, but they wouldn't guarantee it. I thought the point of NMEA 2000 was that it was manufacture independent, and you could mix-and-match brands. Maybe that isn't true.

If I want a wheel pilot that connects to NMEA2000, Raymarine is my only choice. However, I already have B&G instruments (Triton), and will likely get a B&G MFD in a few years.
elliowb likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 26 Old 3 Weeks Ago

To add detail, we do have the Raymarine wheel pilot, the model prior to the EV-100. This replaced a reliable Autohelm A4000, that was proactively replaced due to age.

I have not felt a need to try to interface it with anything. We also have a late model Lowrance hi-def radar and 9" plotter at the helm. Wonderful stuff, especially the radar with its ability to resolve small targets.
Our older Raymarine ST-60 instrument cluster is on its own separate network.

It would be fun to tie this stuff together someday with a 'black box' interface, but there's just no need to do so.
elliowb likes this.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #19 of 26 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello,

As described above, I have the EV-100 wheel pilot, B&G Vulcan 7, Ray wind, speed, depth, and Simrad AIS/VHF, all connected on a NMEA 2000 network. The Wind/Speed/Depth are older ST50 units and I use the Raymarine Seatalk to SeatalkNG to get that data on the network.

The EV100 can steer to a waypoint (provided by the Vulcan7), a compass heading (using the internal compass), or a wind angle (provided by the ST50 wind). The AP control head can display SOG (from the ST50 speed) STW (from the Vulcan 7), Depth (from either the ST50 depth or the Vulcan7), Distance to Waypoint, Time to Waypoint, VMG, etc.
Thank you Barry. That's good to know, especially the fact that the EV-100 will take a waypoint from the Vulcan. One would expect that's the case, but Raymarine just seems to be odd about continuing to tout SeatalkNG rather than stick with NMEA2000 phrasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
You do need to note that if you don't have a raymarine plotter you won't be able to upgrade the firmware in the EV100. I have installed a few FW upgrades into my Vulcan7. Not sure they did much but it was easy to do. The EV100 works fine but maybe there are upgrades that I can't take advantage of.
I suspect that shouldn't be a big problem. Unless they come out with some big new functionality, and even then, I've heard that one can send in the unit to Raymarine for an upgrade (and who knows, maybe you could do it from a fellow boaters RM MFD?).

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34
post #20 of 26 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
To add detail, we do have the Raymarine wheel pilot, the model prior to the EV-100. This replaced a reliable Autohelm A4000, that was proactively replaced due to age.

I have not felt a need to try to interface it with anything. We also have a late model Lowrance hi-def radar and 9" plotter at the helm. Wonderful stuff, especially the radar with its ability to resolve small targets.
Our older Raymarine ST-60 instrument cluster is on its own separate network.

It would be fun to tie this stuff together someday with a 'black box' interface, but there's just no need to do so.
I probably wouldn't have made any changes either, except that when I first got my boat, the MHU was damaged (probably by the transport company or marina that derigged the mast, but I can't prove it), and then my transducer gave out,..... Once I discovered that the price to replace both was a significant percentage of just doing the entire upgrade, I couldn't justify throwing good money on 25 year old technology.

So I took the plunge.

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in