Rudder-post bushing? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Davil

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Rudder-post bushing?

I have dropped the rudder on my 1986 PSC 37 and need help figuring out what is going on. The top of the rudder-post fits inside of a glass tube that comes up to the bottom of the cockpit seat. The top of the tube is accessed from the round bronze plate. Is there some sort of bushing that fits in there or does the ss rudder-post just rotate inside of the glass tube? There is only about .1" difference in the outer diameter of the ss rudder-post and the inside diameter of the glass tube. There was a very worn thin metallic sheet of some sort that fell out of the mix when I pulled the rudder but I am not sure what it is, where it came from, or what it is made from. Anyone else with a similar vintage boat been through this?

Thanks

Grant

s/v Vinandante
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0384.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Rudder-post bushing?

Did you contact PSC? I don't own a PSC but I have dealt with them and they are great, super helpful, super knowledgeable.

Pacific Seacraft
Post Office Box 189
Washington North Carolina 27889

252 948-1421

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #3 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Hi
I do not have a specific answer just a comment;
On my return leg Halifax to Cape Cod, I experienced rough weather and when the winds picked up and extreme heeling started to fill my bilge with seawater.
The cause?
a leaking stuffing box at the top of the rudder post!!!! that on extreme heeling was under the waterline.
News to me having a stuffing box on a very hard place to check and service.
I believe this was the most neglected maintenance item on my Cape Dory 30 MK II.
Now I learned.
My old Tartan 34 believe had your setup with only a bushing on the top but the end of the glassed tube was very high on the cockpit and did not have a gland.
cheers
wsmurdoch likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ; You may want to use a nylon bushing if you do make sure it is made out of CAST Nylon not spun as the water proof properties are better with the cast AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
post #5 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago
dadio917

On our 97 valiant, there are 3 "bearings". The top and bottom (gudgeon) are both a metal, bronze I believe, and take the majority of the load. In the middle of the shaft as it comes in the hull there is a glass housing that contains a third bearing and a packing gland on the top of the glass. From what Valiant tells me this center bearing is synthetic "soft" material that is not intended to be replaced. If it should fail, which they've never heard of happening, the glass would have to be cut out and completely rebuilt. They also said there is a synthetic washer between the rudder and that center bearing housing. This might be similar to what you had fall out.

Valiant still has the blue prints for all vessels they built. Since PSC is such a reputable company I suspect they would as well. So I second a call to them. Hope that helps.

Dadio917
Valiant 39

Last edited by dadio917; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:52 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

My Pacific Seacraft 34 is tiller steered. My rudder post (rudder shaft) is a metal tube and turns inside a fiber glass tube. In my case there is nothing there but the tube. I have a grease nipple under the seat that lets me shoot grease into the annulus. The boats with wheels have a seal on the shaft that my boat does not need. I too have removed the rudder, but I never saw anything in the annulus but grease. There are a number of threads in this forum about the rudder that can be found with the search function.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
post #7 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

We just dropped the rudder in preparation for replacing the propeller shaft and cutless bearing in an effort to stop a serious vibration and whine issue. On our tiller steered boat the shaft is 38 inches long measured from the top of the fiberglass rudder blade to the top of the shaft, so that is the distance that the rudder must drop to come out. There is nothing inside the tube in which the shaft turns except grease.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0826.JPG  
post #8 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
deisher6

Windrunner was upgraded from wheel to tiller by Pacific Seacraft. There is a stuffing box between the stern tube and an keyed "quadrant". The quadrant is more just of a lever arm to attach the auto helm. The rudder post then terminates above the stern seat in a bronze, hard rubber, and starboard like material fitting that is bolted onto the seat with four bolts. The rudder post is then capped off with the tiller. The bronze fitting acts as a bearing.

Your boat is obviously set up a little differently with a stock rudder system.

I think that PSC is currently replacing a pedestal with a tiller, Thumper may have additional information.

I hope that this information helps in some way.

regards charlie
Windrunner PSC-34
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_1840.jpeg   SAM_1705.jpeg  
post #9 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

I pulled my rudder for repair and to change out the prop shaft, cutless bearing, etc. winter before last. I don't recall finding any thing like what you show in your photo. Just a tight fit at the top of the rudder post. It looked to be a bronze sleeve of some sort (if memory serves).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5710.jpg   IMG_5600.jpg  

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in