Removing fuel tank - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2008 Thread Starter

Removing fuel tank

I have a small leak in my fuel tank in my '89 PSC 34 and need to pull it out for repair or replacement. I'd like to know if anyone has pulled their tank on the 34 and have any advice. I'm especially concern if it will fit through the hatch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-11-2008
Coastal Carolinas

We have a 1990 34 and while I haven't had to replace the tank just yet, I've done some researched on the prospect of doing so in the future. It appears that it will fit through the main companionway hatch with no problem. PSC can provide a replacement in fiberglas if you need to go that route. Where did you develop a leak? Was in near the bottom due to salt water corrosion or did it rub on the hull inside the bilge?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2008
MC1

Removing fuel tank

Yes, your tank will fit through the companionway, I've had mine replaced. I'd recommend you call Pacific Seacraft to discuss a fiberglass replacement for yours while you're going to the trouble. When seawater is in the bilge, corrision can setup between the keel bolts and the aluminum tank resulting in the leaks you're experiencing. I think staying with aluminum is not worth the risk and future hassle. You may want to have your boatyard evaluate the health of the keel bolts as well since these can also be affected by the same corrosion process, and I'd at least clean the bolts/nuts up good and reseal them before installing another tank. Be sure to thoroughly clean the bilge compartment with a degreasing cleaner if any diesel has been sitting in the bilge, else you'll be smelling diesel for quite a while. I'd also replace all the related hoses while you're at it since the old ones may be saturated and also contributing to any diesel smell below decks. Finally, its also a good time to put in a new engine fuel filter since you'll have to bleed the fuel lines anyway. Quite a few PSC owners have had to deal with this, so I imagine you'll get a few other helpful responses.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-12-2008 Thread Starter

Removing fuel tank

Thanks for the feed back. I'll give the company a call about the fiberglass tank. I don't know exactly the nature of the leak yet as I haven't pulled the tank and assume it's from the bottom or lower seam. I cleaned my bilge dry and after 3-4 days there is a small puddle of diesel fuel. The tank appears not to be touching on any of the sides as far as I can tell. There are also some 2-2.5" round "spacers" at the top aft end of the tank that look fixed in place, that I'm assuming must be "knocked" out. They seem to be in very tight. I just topped off the fuel for winter storage and now must pump it out. I guess I can run a long hose down the fill hose or pull off the inspection plate.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-13-2008

cvsheppard,

You can replace the fuel tank without having to bleed the system. Just close the inlet valve at the tank and unthread the connection at the tank. The hose is long enough to easily absorb the four or five turns it will take to remove it. When you replace it, wind the hose up the same number of turns in the opposite direction and thread in the connection. Piece of cake.

The tank easily fits through the companionway.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 305 "Swan"
post #6 of 7 Old 11-20-2008

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

There are several threads on the old (now archived) board about replacing a Crealock 34 fuel tank. I do not have enough posts to post a link but try sailnet dot com/list_server/current_forum.php/?list=pacificseacraft

Then search among the thread titles for Fuel Tank.

Bill Murdoch
post #7 of 7 Old 11-21-2008
AEOLUS II

I've heard of some people having a bladder installed in the existing tank cavity. Seems like a cost effective alternative.

Me??

I just lift my 6gal tank out of the fuel lazerette and put it in my car!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in