Easter Morning sail.... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-13-2009 Thread Starter

Easter Morning sail....

Man, I had a wonderful sail on Pamlico River yesterday morning. Please forgive me for my indulgence, but I'm still on cloud nine. Only PSC owners can appreciate this.

I sailed solo on my brand new 37 footer (Kon Jeni-AL ) out of Washington, NC around 8:30 on a broad reach down to a point near Bath, NC. That broad reach only took me a couple of hours as it was blowing around 15, gusting to 18. The distance is around 12 NM. After I turned back I ended up beating upwind for the next several hours until I got closer to home. I've sailed a few boats singlehandedly, and by no means an expert, but all I can say is the boat sails itself. With no auto pilot or wind driven helmsman, it was enough to point the boat in a direction, slightly tighten down the wheel, then go down below momentarily, or check on something up on the deck. So easy. I think it was easier than my old Laser. Incredibly balanced and stable.

After I sail solo a few more times, I'll get the fiance out on it. I just want to make sure I have all the personal jitters worked out, not to mention any possible boat problems. :-)

What a great Easter morning!

Thanks for the indulgence, and I hope to have some pics up soon.

Alan
Kon Jeni-AL,
Washington, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-13-2009
MC1

Congrats on your new baby and a great Easter sail. Your 37 is an absolutely beautiful boat. I'm looking forward to checking out the pics.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-14-2009 Thread Starter

some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Congrats on your new baby and a great Easter sail. Your 37 is an absolutely beautiful boat. I'm looking forward to checking out the pics.
Thanks!

This wasn't Easter morning, but two day prior on her maiden run with David Norwood, owner and broker of Carolina Winds, Washington, NC.

I know, the main needs a little more tug on the downhaul....

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
boat1.jpg   boat2.jpg   boat3.jpg  

post #4 of 8 Old 04-14-2009

Dear Alan, Congratulations on the new boat. Thank you for the description of that fabulous first solo sail. Imi and I are waiting anxiously for just that moment on our "new to us" 37 sometime in late May. Till then your description will keep us going...

Jay, PS 37, # 171
post #5 of 8 Old 04-14-2009 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBrain333 View Post
Dear Alan, Congratulations on the new boat. Thank you for the description of that fabulous first solo sail. Imi and I are waiting anxiously for just that moment on our "new to us" 37 sometime in late May. Till then your description will keep us going...

Jay, PS 37, # 171
I'm excited for you! Before mine was ready I kept repeating to myself that adage about the two happiest days in a boater's life. Well, I'd say mine are just starting. Certainly, it has turned out even better than I expected. I really thought I'd be stuck with a boat that I couldn't sail unless I had a crew. Please let me, or us, hear your version of your first sail on it. Is yours a standard keel? Kon Jeni-Al is, and we did run her aground once on the first day. The depth guage hadn't been calibrated. No big deal though since the wind was blowing. We just sheeted in the 130 and she kedged right off.

Back at the dock:
Attached Thumbnails
boat5.jpg  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-15-2009

Congrats! The first sail is always a great experience but you really will have much better sails as you find out what she can do and what you can do. My best sail may have been the broad reach from Charleston, Sc to Beaufort, NC in 25-35 knots of true wind. Hull speed the whole way and on autopilot most of it. They are great boats.
Larry
post #7 of 8 Old 04-15-2009

Great looking boat, and congradulations on your sweet sail. All the time you was smiling I was grimacing scrubbing about 1000sq.ft. of deck space. Some people get all the breaks in life.... .....i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2009

Beautiful boat! Congrats! I'm glad to see some pictures, but it sure doesn't make me want to go north, to work, instead of south, to the bay today........

Ellen
Crealock 37 #7

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in