I set up a website for Pacific Seacraft Owners & Enthusiasts - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-17-2010 Thread Starter

I set up a website for Pacific Seacraft Owners & Enthusiasts

Hi Folks,

My name is Bob Dugan. My wife and I recently sold our Cape Dory 25D (which we were sad about selling) and purchased a Pacific Seacraft 34 (1988) (which we were happy about buying).

I've enjoyed being part of the Cape Dory community both online and offline for 10 years. I helped run the community's website and online board. I'm hoping that I can help foster a similar community of Pacific Seacraft enthusiasts both online and offline.

I also set up an electronic board... one for regular postings related to PSCs and another for buying/selling PSC boats and gear. I'm not sure if the board is going to be redundant... because the sailnet board seems to have some activity. I'm not really sure what to do about the board.

Can you all give me your opinions as to how to proceed. I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks!

Bob
Maine Sail likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-17-2010

yea, its unfortunate, because this forum seems to me by far most popular on the sailnet, where cruisersforum.com doesn't have any boat builders forum except 1, but its other forums are far more active than sailnet's.

But as a repository for files (many have been posted here), links, and a FAQ (maybe in wiki format?), I think that would be great. Moderator probably can post a link to your site as a sticky append to keep it first in list.

Another thing that would be cool is to tie into google maps and have everybody post the location of their PSC, and create a map all PSCs and where they are located.

Tom

PS31#111 Cielo Azul
post #3 of 22 Old 12-17-2010 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
yea, its unfortunate, because this forum seems to me by far most popular on the sailnet, where cruisersforum.com doesn't have any boat builders forum except 1, but its other forums are far more active than sailnet's.

But as a repository for files (many have been posted here), links, and a FAQ (maybe in wiki format?), I think that would be great. Moderator probably can post a link to your site as a sticky append to keep it first in list.

Another thing that would be cool is to tie into google maps and have everybody post the location of their PSC, and create a map all PSCs and where they are located.

Tom
Thanks for the response Tom.

The google maps idea seams like a natural feature of a PSC registry... with owner names, locations, possibly websites as well.

I'd be happy to set part of the website up as a repository of information... I'm not sure what's out there.

I like the FAQ idea too...

Anybody else out there have any ideas?

post #4 of 22 Old 12-17-2010

new site

Bob,

I look at Sailnet, nearly every day. I will sign onto your site nearly every day as well. I understand your concern about being redundant but there are several other builder's sites that attract folks to both that site and this one.

Focus on the stuff you are interested in that get less attention here.

I am always looking for helpful PSC info.

John
PSC 31 #28
post #5 of 22 Old 12-17-2010

Bob,
Great idea! I too come to this thread often to see what's new and I'm always on the lookout for info and ideas.

Were you thinking along the lines of an owners association? Given the active participation here and how long PSCs have been around, I'm surprised we don't have one already.

Brian & Marya
S/V Indigo
Pacific Seacraft 34
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdugan View Post
Hi Folks,

My name is Bob Dugan. My wife and I recently sold our Cape Dory 25D (which we were sad about selling) and purchased a Pacific Seacraft 34 (1988) (which we were happy about buying).

I've enjoyed being part of the Cape Dory community both online and offline for 10 years. I helped run the community's website and online board. I'm hoping that I can help foster a similar community of Pacific Seacraft enthusiasts both online and offline.

I also set up an electronic board... one for regular postings related to PSCs and another for buying/selling PSC boats and gear. I'm not sure if the board is going to be redundant... because the sailnet board seems to have some activity. I'm not really sure what to do about the board.

Can you all give me your opinions as to how to proceed. I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks!

Bob
Bob:
Congratulations on your new boat and welcome to sailnet.
Why don't you post your URL? Folks will give you feedback I'm sure.

Regards,
Ted
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
post #7 of 22 Old 12-18-2010

As a previous Cape Dory owner (31) we are also the happy owners of a PSC 37 I think you idea is terrific, as I go between this site & CDOSA site the info and helpful hints is very useful.

Regards
George & Judy
S/V SACHEM
post #8 of 22 Old 12-18-2010 Thread Starter

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Here's the website main url:

The Website

Here's the board url:

The Board

I would definitely be interested in helping to create a Pacific Seacraft Owners Association along the lines of the Cape Dory Owners Association.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-18-2010
DMD

Hi Bob,
Welcome to the Pacific Seacraft fraternity. As a former Cape Dory owner (CD 30K) I have enjoyed the Cape Dory Owners website, and wished there was something similar for Pacific Seacraft owners. One idea might be a photo album where owners could post pictures of the boats and boat projects (something like the Pacific Seacraft Orion Yahoo Group has). I for one really like to see what other owners have done to improve their boats. Sorry I can't offer any help though, my "website skills" are max'd-out just posting this reply.

Dave
Crealock 37 #151
"Eowyn"
post #10 of 22 Old 12-18-2010 Thread Starter

Added a blogging feature to the site

OK... if anyone sends me a private message with:
- a userid to use for blogging
- the name of the blog (a string with no spaces)

I'll send back a private message with userid and a password so you can start blogging on the site.

Here's the default blog page: Blog Home for Pacific Seacraft Owners

Here's the start of a blog page for Emerald, our PS34: Log of PS34 Emerald

Keep those ideas coming!

Bob

Last edited by bobdugan; 12-18-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in