chainplate followup - Page 5 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 44 Old 02-07-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Re: chainplate followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewcomer View Post
I did investigate having custom, button-head, socket cap screws made but the cost was prohibitive.
One of my favorite merchants is McMaster Carr. Long ago their yellow and green catalogue sat on every maintenance foreman's desk. If you think it should exist, they have it... now on the internet.
McMaster-Carr

Grainger also has them in 18-8.
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
bird song (02-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 Old 02-14-2016
s/v Pelagic

I also use McMaster for many things. However all the bolts in the appropriate length are threaded all the way up to the head. I wanted a smooth 1/2 inch OD on the bolt to go into a smooth 1/2 inch ID on the chainplate. Since I was trying to avoid the point loading of the square carriage bolts I also didn't want the whole load bearing on just two or three threads.

Regards,
John
post #43 of 44 Old 02-14-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Yes you are right, both the photograph and the drawing in the link show a 2" bolt with 1-1/2" threading, but the notes to the drawing say the thread length could be 1-1/2" to full. If the bolts are like the photo and drawing, there would be a half inch unthreaded. If the actual threading were full as the notes allow, threads would bear on the chainplate.

post #44 of 44 Old 02-14-2016

chainplate followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewcomer View Post
I also use McMaster for many things. However all the bolts in the appropriate length are threaded all the way up to the head. I wanted a smooth 1/2 inch OD on the bolt to go into a smooth 1/2 inch ID on the chainplate. Since I was trying to avoid the point loading of the square carriage bolts I also didn't want the whole load bearing on just two or three threads.

Regards,

John

In any chain plate installation the bolt should never carry any shearing load. The bolt is used to force the plate against the knee. The pressure creates so much friction that the plate does not move and puts no shear force on the bolt. If the chain plate is allowed to move then only one bolt will be carrying the entire shear load. That's bad for then one bolt will likely shear. Then another and another until they all fail.

Carriage bolts are often used because it's hard to put a wrench on both sides in some situations. The square shoulder is held from turning by the chain plate itself. They should not create point loading.

Transmitterdan
1995 Valiant 42

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in