Pearson 28-2 chain plate and cabin ceiling crack - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter

Pearson 28-2 chain plate and cabin ceiling crack

I have a really nice condition 28-2 that I purchased in May, sailed from the Chesapeake (Irvington) down to the Neuse River where it now resides, and found little wrong with it aside from some minor cosmetic age. It is admittedly a very clean and pretty dry boat. It does have its share of light stress lines and cracks here and there in the places you’d expect, but nothing that would imply abuse. When I bought it I did not the particular interior cracks around the chain plate. What has me posting is I noted the other week a small drop of water on one of the interior bolts. Ok, chain plates are a usual suspect for leaks. I then noticed the offending bolt was slightly loose. It took a buddy on deck with a screw driver to hold the bolt as I tightened the bolt from the cabin. I then tightened all of them on both chain plates given they all needed to be snugged up. In doing so I noted the interior fractures in the ceiling around the chain plate got a bit more pronounced. Before, they were just evident lines in the gel coat. Now I have induced a slight ridge along some the the cracks.

My questions...

If I were to want to rebed the plates at the deck, I’d need to find some alternative mast support since to do so would require my removing both stays. While this design seems to be intended to minimize water dripping down the stays and through the deck, it comes at the cost of having to completely release the stays to inspect the through-deck of the chain plate. This all seems quite evident just looking at it, but am I missing anything?

Are these 4 bolts merely retaining the interior plate, and the chain plate it otherwise cast into the piece above deck that the stays attach to? I’d like to think this is the case and that those 4 bolts are not the only things connecting the above and below deck portions of the chain plate.

As far as the interior fractures, while unsightly, is this cause for alarm? I wonder if some water intrusion caused the core to degrade and has allowed the fiberglass to now compress when I tightened the bolts.

Also, right on fractures, it feels tacky. You can see some appearance of a darker color at the cracks, and I wonder if what I’m feeling is from precious resealing with something that remains slightly tacky that has migrated out.

Anyway, any info on this style of chain plate and thoughts on the fractures is appreciated.

Regards

Ben
Attached Thumbnails
F2EA4EF5-7805-4ED9-9F77-4AD7B2F788DC_1535071513745.jpeg   EB783952-E126-430B-A35B-5DD7D65C3AB1_1535071530338.jpeg   F7E4E564-DBA0-419F-8E85-B602D4425654_1535071549327.jpeg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-23-2018

Re: Pearson 28-2 chain plate and cabin ceiling crack

I am pretty sure those four bolts do indeed connect the top and bottom plates and carry the load of the stays down into the lower hull structure. And I also suspect that overtighening them has allowed water intrusion and rotting of the core in that location. If its just a localized issue, it will not be a big deal to fix. And you are lucky as this design is not relying on the deck to carry the stay loads.
theluckyone17 likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 11 Old 08-28-2018 Thread Starter

I took her out this past weekend after tightening the shrouds a tad, and while no winds greater than 7 or 8 knots, I noted no further ill effects. So appears to just be something to keep an eye on and add it to the list of off-season projects...

post #4 of 11 Old 08-28-2018

Did you have a survey done? If so, did the surveyor report any moist/wet/saturated decks? If you didn't get a surveyor may I suggest that you purchase a $40 dollar moisture meter (Ryobi #E49MM01 ) and use it on your decks everywhere the gel coat has been penetrated, (chain plates, hand hold rail, cleats, ect). You might be surprised, in a bad way.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

Last edited by Skipper Jer; 08-28-2018 at 02:55 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-28-2018

I'm pretty sure you can wait for a bit before tackling this. But I wouldn't put it off too long. You can use a halyard to temporarily support the mast while you remove the stays and check the chainplates and deck core.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 11 Old 08-28-2018 Thread Starter

Sound advice, thanks all. I actually just went out to the boat at lunch to look at what I’ll need to do using the halyard method.

Regards

Ben
post #7 of 11 Old 04-17-2019

Bird Dog .. I have the same issue on my Pearson 28-2 (1986). Did you re-bed the chainplates and if so how did you approach it? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 Old 04-17-2019

If the deck is cored in the area of the chain plates. One of two things are probably happening. You've tightened the bolts too much a crushed the core and.or there has been leakage around the chainplates and the core has rotted out. Not a life or death situation but at your convenience, pull the chainplates, route out the core, if any's left, with a Dremel 199 bit, fill the holes with straight epoxy, suck it out add structural thickener to the epoxy, refill the holes, redrill the holes and light countersink on the deckside. The thickened epoxy will seal the deck around the holes, end any possibility of compressing the core, and the countsink will create a thickened ring of sealant to seal the fasteners. If using a rubber mallet shows extensive core rot in the chain plate area, might want to think of recoring the deck. That's a major undertaking and you may just get buy filling the chainplate fastener holes. Use halyards to support the mast. The lower shrouds should support the mast so the halyards are just insurance.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-18-2019

Roverhi ... Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, on this boat both upper and lower shrouds attach to the same chainplate. I'm thinking I may have to live with it for now and have the mast pulled in the fall.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 04-19-2019

Have rigged 3 boats with mast in place using halyards to stabilize the mast while replacing the wire. Use the halyards to replace missing wire and fix the problem with the chain plate if there is one.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in