Natures Head Composting Head.... - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 130 Old 07-31-2019

Re: Natures Head Composting Head....

Good point about the moisture content.I just bought a boat that has this head. It has a solar powered fan, so, it runs when I'm not there. I've noticed that this dries it out a bit and I add a small amount of water when I think that it needs it. I determine that by the ease/difficulty of turning the Agitator.
I have been using the boat, on the Chesapeake, with 2-3 people since June 1st of this year. I would estimate that we have been out for 20 days...+/-. To be blunt...I would say that it has been defecated in about 15 times. There are those that will scoff, but I am amazed...there is absolutely NO "head" smell at this point. I'll be going out for a 12 day sail in August..after which I will change the media, no matter what.
The real thing that I noticed is how fast the urine decanter fills up. I have a new amazement, and respect, for how much liquid the body discharges...and needs replenishing...every day.
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 130 Old 08-01-2019
Old soul

Routing the vent, and getting the right moisture balance, are two of the biggest challenges in moving to one of these desiccator heads. After a while you get a sense of what the right moisture levels are. I use the standard micro-fan attached to my Natureís Head. I considered installing a solar vent, but I wanted to use the existing deck fitting (the old holding tank pump out fitting).

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 130 Old 08-01-2019

I too have a composting head question. Has anyone had small children use them? Are there extra challenges?

Our boat has abysmal raw water tankage, and no way to add more. We are strongly considering switching one of our two heads to a composting system before we move aboard full time for a year.

Our two boys will be 5 and 3 when we move aboard next spring.

Thx,

post #124 of 130 Old 08-01-2019

Maybe its black water tankage?
So many boat are geared for day or wwekend use
post #125 of 130 Old 08-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Maybe its black water tankage?
So many boat are geared for day or wwekend use
Ah yes, I think you're right. Black water tankage. Either way, we have two holding tanks at 6 gallons each. Most of our usage is in the forward head, and it can hardly last a weekend. Also no indicator on tank level, which led to more than one nasty surprise and a lot of bilge scrubbing and bleach.

It sounds like composting is the way to go to avoid these horrible events, given the space limitations we have. Assuming of course they work with small kids.

Not to ask a potentially dumb question, but how much attention must be paid to aiming to ensure that liquids go where they're supposed to? Our boys are rather easily distracted at their current age...
post #126 of 130 Old 08-02-2019
Old soul

I have zero experience with small children, so can't tell you if there is any anatomical challenges here. But men do have to direct the stream. For men it's pretty natural; things just fall the right way. Not sure about small boys though. And of course everyone must sit to pee.

BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #127 of 130 Old 08-02-2019
Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I have zero experience with small children, so can't tell you if there is any anatomical challenges here. But men do have to direct the stream. For men it's pretty natural; things just fall the right way. Not sure about small boys though. And of course everyone must sit to pee.
Check out the C-Head as that has a system where you can insert a transmission funnel into the hole for the pee so men can stand up and pee into the funnel. Works quite well, surprisingly enough. Their diversion system seems better at keeping the wet stuff apart from the Dry stuff.

Tod

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #128 of 130 Old 08-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeaston View Post
Ah yes, I think you're right. Black water tankage. Either way, we have two holding tanks at 6 gallons each.........
That's a good reason to be thinking of something else. The primary reason that holding tank systems stink, is that people do not flush enough clear raw water behind their waste to fully clear out the waste lines. Then the hoses permeate from the waste stink and you're done. Every single bareboat I've ever chartered has the beginning of that odor. 90 percent of these systems stink, because 90 of boaters use them incorrectly. With only 6 gallons, you don't have enough room to clear the lines much. Of course, if properly designed and used, no holding tank system ever has to stink.

Kids have to be taught how to use the toilet at home, I'm sure they can be taught how to use a different system. They won't be perfect, but you'll deal with it like anything else with kids that age.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #129 of 130 Old 08-03-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
Check out the C-Head as that has a system where you can insert a transmission funnel into the hole for the pee so men can stand up and pee into the funnel. Works quite well, surprisingly enough. Their diversion system seems better at keeping the wet stuff apart from the Dry stuff.
Yes, so Iíve heard. It is a PITA to have to sit to pee (sorry gals), but on the flip side, itís far better to do so when the boat is underway.

C-Head seems to offer a wider variety of options and footprints. I love their use of non-proprietary containers. The main reason I didnít get one is b/c of the smaller tank capacities. Basically, youíre dumping twice as often with C-heads vs Natureís or Air. If I wasnít a full-timer though, this wouldnít really matter.

BLOG:
post #130 of 130 Old 08-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeaston View Post
I too have a composting head question. Has anyone had small children use them? Are there extra challenges?

Our boat has abysmal raw water tankage, and no way to add more. We are strongly considering switching one of our two heads to a composting system before we move aboard full time for a year.

Our two boys will be 5 and 3 when we move aboard next spring.

Thx,
What are they moving from? NH are far easier to use than a manual marine head (but not as easy as a single button electric head)

They may need a step.

Use: sit on it, if you are planning a #2 you open the trap door, you do what you need to, you close the trap door. No worries if #1 *and* #2, it directs everything like magic. When they ask about the crank, introduce it.

The challenge to their acceptance will be on your end, not the childrens' end. They are at the age where they absorb information like little sponges. As Captain Jack Sparrow said, "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem." If they hear you talking, "I hope the little one can learn how" ...If you stress the kids about a new toilet that they "will have to learn" they will be in the wrong frame of mind when lesson time comes. They will fear the device before they see it.

Don't talk about it, don't worry about it. When you install it, if they ask why, tell them it makes it easier to be away from the pump out. They will probably think that is a good idea.Then, "Oh, here's how you use it. Better than all that pumping with the old toilet, right? Mommy and I will be happy to help you. OK, give me a hug and go play."
The Following User Says Thank You to DeepDish For This Useful Post:
bletso (08-04-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in