Holding Tanks with Urine only - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 Old 09-23-2019 Thread Starter

Dock
Re: Holding Tanks with Urine only

@chef2sail and @SchockT

Please attend to the subject matter not attack each other.... Or I will just remove your whole posts.

Remember if you have said a definitive statement you do not have to reiterate it post after post after post.

Get it?

Thanks guys

Mark
chef2sail and Oaksail like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 Old 09-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Then why not stand on the bow and do it openly.

Because itís against the law thatís why. And also you donít want others to see you doing it.

Not meant to be self richeous.just stating the fact. It has nothing to do with whether I break the law. You are doing it

I donít think that encouraging others to do this works.

If itís ok for you and all others to do this why isnít it ok for cruise ships to dump urine? Itís harmless as you said.

I usually agree with your posts. I may even agree with your arguments on this in a limited way. Just not your solution.
If I am out sailing, and I need to pee, I WILL just pee over the side if nobody is nearby, but if there are other boats nearby I will go down below and use the head. This is not because I am afraid to get caught, it is simple decency. (I thought we established that it was NOT against the law to urinate over the side of the boat?) I am not concerned about getting caught discharging my holding tank within 3nm of shore either, because there is no enforcement of such things. There are no seals required on our discharge valves, nor am I in any danger of being boarded by the authorities to verify compliance. Recreational boaters are left to do as they see fit. I believe most boaters exercise good judgement about when and where they discharge.

Obviously a cruise ship with 4000 people on board emptying their holding tanks within 3 miles of shore is much different than a sailboat with 2 people on board doing so.

I am not encouraging anyone to do it, I am simply stating that I personally do not think dumping urine overboard is a big deal, nor does it cause any harm to the environment. Of course there are probably some areas where the water is shallow and stagnant, and perhaps there is a very large concentration of boats. Maybe in that case urinating in the water could make a difference?

I just don't think peeing in the ocean is something worth so much hand wringing.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #53 of 58 Old 09-24-2019
Cruiser

Mark,

One of our heads has a composter e.g., no flushwater for the urine. To prevent precipitates from forming [and odors] in the liquids jug [2.2 gallon; emptying every 5-10 days or so since part time use...] we add a ~1/2 teaspoon [after trial and error...] of Oxyclean laundry powder to the jug after emptying. [We use the 'free and clear'- non-perfumed version...]

Oxyclean works like a charm; No odors, scum, precipitates, or build-up. [These all absolutely do happen otherwise...]

I plan to plumb the composter to the unused holding tank for that head, and will continue this approach.

Our other head is a water flush, and can use fresh or raw water. As you mention, switch to fresh flush to eleminate more build-up in the plumbing. And [if urine only...] treat the tank with a bit of oxyclean to keep precipitates and odors at bay between pumpouts.

In case this is of interest.

Cheers! Bill
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #54 of 58 Old 10-03-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
One on the main reasons I chose my current marina is that it has pump out at every slip. Yes it still is a little bit of hassle to have to walk to end on the dock to turn the pump on, wheel down the pump cart with hose, hook it up and pump, wheel the cart back to the storage shed (on the way to turning off the pump), and turning off the pump.
Hey they fixed the "remote" on the cart. don't have to walk to end of dock anymore and can turn on the pump from the cart.

Some places try to make so the boats will acturally pump out.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #55 of 58 Old 10-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If countries were serious about it all marinas would have it... And for free.

The US$31 per pump out makes it almost mandatory to try to sneak around.

Mark
In the Chesapeake, for $5 they come to your boat, and many marinas are free. Maryland has made it easy.

Not sayin' I'm a hard liner, just giving a local number.
MarkofSeaLife and oysterman23 like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 10-03-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #56 of 58 Old 10-03-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Thatís only in marinas with state subsided pump out units. They cap the charge at $5. If itís not state subsided in MD and many are not , they can charge what they want.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #57 of 58 Old 10-03-2019

City marinas in Michigan are the same, $5.00. Problem is the at city marina I'm in, the pump has been broken for about 10 years and they won't fix it. Next closest place is two miles away and charges $20.
post #58 of 58 Old 10-04-2019

Ahh, I know this is shocking but I think the thread has drifted a bit...

In a small marina where there's not a lot of water flow this will be a sensitive issue and someone may notice if Mark never pumps out. You could just say that you use the shoreside facilities but why have the hassle?

We lived aboard weekends from April till November on Barnegat Bay. Pumpouts were free (you tipped the boat captain $5), and I pumped out about every third week or so. Like Mark we used shoreside for solids and the head for liquids, and flushed the line with water from the sink/shower attachment (no salt water to reduce odors). In the spring/fall before/after the pump out boat was running we'd use shoreside for everything except at night because then we had to motor to a pump out dock.

Mark here's my question. Our Catalina 30 (a coastal boat) had a 17 gallon holding tank (60 something liters). Wouldn't your 40 footer have something close to double that capacity?

If yes, how often would you have to pump out if you used shoreside for everything but nighttime visits? Will you be staying there long enough to make it worth worrying about?

For sanitary line cleaners, check out the RV store. You'll find a better selection than you'll find at the marine store at a third the price. RV heads are made by the same people that make marine heads.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 10-04-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in