SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing, Heads, Water, Bilges etc (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/plumbing-heads-water-bilges-etc/)
-   -   Holding Tanks with Urine only (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/plumbing-heads-water-bilges-etc/331266-holding-tanks-urine-only.html)

MarkofSeaLife 09-10-2019 08:45 AM

Holding Tanks with Urine only

I'm heading into a marina for 6 months. Pump-out is extremely expensive... like US$31!

I use the 2 heads and holding tanks *only* for urine as the marina bathrooms are close and modern, including for my guests.
Toilet paper goes into a bag.

The marina is small and inside a Lock so using the Holding Tanks is important. The water in the marina is salt.

Theres many products for marine and RV tank biodegradable effluent... but I am interested in any idea/product/chemical that might mean I can flush using less water, and, reduce pipe and tank buildup.

Fresh dock water is free, so I was wondering if theres any benefit to using fresh to flush?

Mark

capta 09-10-2019 09:04 AM

Re: Holding Tanks with Urine only

Two problems come to mind.
If you hook up your heads to your fresh water system, back flow is possible, contaminating your fresh water system. Second, most salt water marine heads are not set up for pressure water rinsing, so this could damage the mechanism. I'd contact your head manufacturer and see what they have to say about it.

Don L 09-10-2019 09:18 AM

I have the cheapest jabsco head available. When I'm in a marina I always use fresh water to flush with and just keep a cup in the head get water from the sink to pour flush into the bowl. I assume You can flush some acid down the line once in a while also to remove the scale.

Minnewaska 09-10-2019 09:19 AM

It sounds like you're wondering if you can flush less clear chase water and leave urine in the waste lines and whether fresh water would be a better idea. I understand that salt water is more likely to react with urine than fresh, so perhaps fresh would reduce scale build up. Fact check that one.

Nevertheless, I don't think it's wise to do for 6 months, even with fresh. Waste left in the lines, even urine, will eventually permeate. I understand that pushing through sufficient clear chase water really fills a holding tank fast.

Here's an idea. Buy a pilot relief jug for yourself at night, or even during the day. I use one in the shoulder seasons, before marina systems are all commissioned, or I can't get to the pump out. No way I want to walk to the shore facilities at night in the cold. My wife finds it gross, but long distance pilots have been using them forever and urine really is sanitary. They have a lid. Carry it up to the shower in the morning, in whatever bag you pack your clothing and toiletries. You could also have a larger storage bottle aboard, which you transfer to and empty less frequently.

https://www.amazon.com/1st-Defense-I...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Save your holding tank space for guests.

svHyLyte 09-10-2019 09:23 AM

Mark--

I don't know where you are situated at the moment but we are in a similar marina environment and have one head that is designed for "urine only" that flows overboard rather than into a holding tank. Urine has virtually no effect on water quality as the dilution is so great. The bowl is used, the reasonably filled with fresh water from the sink tap, then pumped overboard. Once a month or so, flush a solution of a gallon of fresh water with 8 ounces of Muriatic acid through the system and you're fine.

FWIW...

Minnewaska 09-10-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2051625282)
....The marina is small and inside a Lock so using the Holding Tanks is important......

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 2051625298)
.....designed for "urine only" that flows overboard rather than into a holding tank. Urine has virtually no effect on water quality as the dilution is so great........

I knew this would come up. I'm the first to say that environmental discharge rules are not all scientifically sound. They paint a broad brush, rather than try to detail all the variables.

However, in Mark's case, it seems both inappropriate and a good way to get in conflict as a foreign transient guest.

SanderO 09-10-2019 09:45 AM

What is the impact of one person's urine pumped into the sea? Urine has a role in the earth's nitrogen cycle. In balanced ecosystems urine fertilizes the soil and thus helps plants to grow.

Minnewaska 09-10-2019 10:00 AM

I doubt there is any science that proves a small amount of urine, from a recreational live aboard does any harm. I've read perspective from many that human urine can contain chemicals, especially if one is taking meds, that are harmful to the marine environment. I suspect, in most marina, the dilution is still ample, but maybe not in all marinas.

In the end, while I'm okay with some discretion, I wouldn't want to be called out, in what Mark described as a small marina behind a lock, as a foreigner who hasn't been to the pump out in a while, without a pretty good explanation.

capta 09-10-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don0190 (Post 2051625294)
can flush some acid down the line once in a while also to remove the scale.

I've been looking for over 5 decades for "some acid" or any other product that I could simply flush down the head to clear the ceramic build-up out of the head exhaust lines, to no avail. Got anything specific in mind?
I've used white vinegar to clean head parts and it works to some degree (it takes days), but it does not work well enough to clear the lines significantly.

Minnewaska 09-10-2019 10:09 AM

Pretty sure studies have been done on all the chemical witchcraft folks pour down their heads for all sorts of reasons and none have proven to actually work. Some do more harm than good.