Sea Cocks

Anyone seen one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
20191110_135226_1573412751517.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Sea Cocks

If you are sailing a Bristol, most of the OEM seacocks were manufactured by Spartan Marine in Georgetown Maine.

If you want to replace the broken handle, you may find what you need here:

https://www.spartanmarine.com/all-pr...adapters-parts
post #3 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The logo on the handle is Wilcox-Crittenden's.

Mark
ottos and capta like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

post #4 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Trying to track down why they might be frozen/stuck and if there is hope for getting them moving again. In water versus/hauled etc. Now I have a plaxe to start researching!
post #5 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Can't see the valve itself well in the picture, but it is likely a tapered plug valve. If so, these often get sticky or stuck, but they are usually easy to remedy. You will need to free it and remove it, then use some lapping compound like that for valves, and work it back and forth to smooth things out. After that, a bit of grease and it will work easy again. After that, every so often when it is on the hard, regrease. Some people have put zerk fittings in them to grease while in the water.

Mark
tempest likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #6 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

One strategy that has worked for me when they are really stuck is inserting a tapered plug outside the hull, removing the hose and then filling the seacock with a penetrating oil like Marvel Mystery Oil and letting it soak for as long as necessary. Be careful not to pound on these too hard as you can crack the casting. The barrels are usually matched to the valves, so you can't just replace the barrel, you have to replace the entire through hull if that happens. The trick to keeping them from sticking is to lubricate them regularly. A good coat of seacock grease can also seal them up if they are weeping a bit.
post #7 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Seņor Member

I went through the same thing last spring on my 29.9. Take that handle off (the thumb screws are certainly not original, and probably corroded) and get as long a wrench as you can fit on there. If it valve is really stuck, you'll just break the handle off anyway.

Gentle heat from a torch can help... (As can penetrating oil, as previously mentioned)

Have you loosened the jam nut and the flange nut on the other side of the valve from the handle?

Study MaineSail's article : https://marinehowto.com/servicing-ta...cone-seacocks/

In the end, I had a really big guy from the yard on a really big wrench break it loose...and smash his elbow when it gave way.

Incidentally they get stuck from lack of exercise and lack of service.

I was happy to be doing that while hauled. It can certainly fail under the strain...
post #8 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips. Something to work on next spring..(boat hauled). Going to try disassembly, oil, the works...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in