SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing, Heads, Water, Bilges etc (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/plumbing-heads-water-bilges-etc/)
-   -   Head Hose Scale (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/plumbing-heads-water-bilges-etc/332352-head-hose-scale.html)

Don L 01-09-2020 11:42 AM

Head Hose Scale

1 Attachment(s)
I am replacing my basic manual head with a fancy new electric fresh waster unit. I wasn't going to replace all the hose because it wasn't too old and its the expensive hose. But cutting into it to make the connection from the 1” new hose i am using to the 1.5” that goes to the tank this is what i found. This in spite of all the acid i have flushed through that hose over the years. I'm surprised things flush through that old hose. Guess now I know why the other head that doesn't get used much use pumps so much easier even though it pumps uphill. . Hopefully now with only fresh water flush this never happens again.

colemj 01-09-2020 11:52 AM

Re: Head Hose Scale

Fresh water will just about solve that. If this was right at the toilet connection, then it might not extend all the way through the hose. PVC pipe also seems to solve the problem. I don't know why it should, but it doesn't seem to form scale deposits as bad as hose.

I can't tell if your sentence "This in spite of all the acid i have flushed through that hose over the tears" was an autocorrect, or exactly how you meant it...

Mark

MarkofSeaLife 01-09-2020 12:52 PM

Yes, its really obvious thats not going to be removed with acid. Let along the vinegar brigade.

If your going to use acid it needs to be done weekly from week 1.

The cost of sanitation hose is ridiculous. utterly stupid. But changing it so often is the only way.
With the diameter reduced by half any visitor will clog it up.

Capt Len 01-09-2020 03:16 PM

Part of regular care and feeding of a salt flushed head is removal of hoses and whopping them on the edge of the dock.The floppy bits in the pump need dealing with too. the thru hull can be a problem. Fresh water flush mostly prevents it but you have to start clean.

MarkofSeaLife 01-09-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Len (Post 2051646230)
removal of hoses and whopping them on the edge of the dock.

Your boat must be mch better thn mine, but removing them is an utter pain. and bloodthirsty work too on the knuckles.

I did that once and split the hose. In some dump without replacements.

Never again. Every big haulout I have someone else exchange them. Bliss

They need replacing now. Sooner than the antifoul... but I am in cold water.

outbound 01-09-2020 04:54 PM

Can occur with fresh water but takes much longer. Using only RO water does prevent it. Also don’t leave urine in it.

Don L 01-09-2020 06:18 PM

For the amount of work it takes to remove and replace I would never consider taking them out and "whopping" them and putting the old ones back in.

So that took just 20 hours of time and 1 boat buck

capttb 01-10-2020 11:04 AM

Watched the Harbor Patrol (county sheriff) tongue lash a dockmate for 30 minutes for using a palm sander without a dust collector on his cap rails. I can only imagine their response to someone whacking hoses on the docks.

Minnewaska 01-10-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capttb (Post 2051646474)
Watched the Harbor Patrol (county sheriff) tongue lash a dockmate for 30 minutes for using a palm sander without a dust collector on his cap rails. I can only imagine their response to someone whacking hoses on the docks.

I’m not doing it. Once I went through the effort to get it out, I’d put new back in. That said, I’ve seen it done. It didn’t contaminate, as the end was plugged. Plugging is always a good idea, as you extract longer length of hose, in the event it contains some settled “liquid”.

I just replaced the standing length on a couple of heads last season. Just the 4 feet or so, up to the vented loop, which holds standing water and is the most likely to scale. Chucked and replaced. Disgusting mess in the head, on extraction. I hate old plumbing more than any other job.

MarkofSeaLife 01-10-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capttb (Post 2051646474)
Watched the Harbor Patrol (county sheriff) tongue lash a dockmate for 30 minutes for using a palm sander without a dust collector on his cap rails.

You're kidding!!

The world has gone crackers!

:|

capttb 01-10-2020 11:02 PM

Surely the most excessive "Barney Fife" approach to a little sawdust, nearby signs do say something like "illegal to allow any foreign objects in water" or some such nonsense. I believe that deputy was reassigned to a less desirable duty station after generating a few negative comments to the newly promoted female lieutenant in charge.

Minnewaska 01-11-2020 07:02 AM

Sounds like a Barney Fife, but for what it's worth, you must use a dust collector at our marina here too. On land or at the slip. I think it's both environmental and to keep anyone from dusting up their neighbors.

wsmurdoch 01-11-2020 08:41 AM

See the "Wastewater Treatment" part of the Wikipedia article "Struvite". The RV guys complain about it in their holding tanks. Google "struvite removal from holding tanks".

boatpoker 01-11-2020 06:55 PM

I've had ABS pipe (same as most homes) with cleanout ports for 30yrs. Only have 6" of hose at tank and at toilet. Cheaper than sanitation hose much easier to work with for tight turns and easy to get a straight fall to the tank. Run into a problem, open the port, roto it out, all fine again.