Head Hose Scale - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Head Hose Scale

I am replacing my basic manual head with a fancy new electric fresh waster unit. I wasn't going to replace all the hose because it wasn't too old and its the expensive hose. But cutting into it to make the connection from the 1” new hose i am using to the 1.5” that goes to the tank this is what i found. This in spite of all the acid i have flushed through that hose over the years. I'm surprised things flush through that old hose. Guess now I know why the other head that doesn't get used much use pumps so much easier even though it pumps uphill. . Hopefully now with only fresh water flush this never happens again.
Attached Thumbnails
1CB87C4A-1B2B-4CA2-B3AC-DA82E03A88EB.jpeg  

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don L; 1 Week Ago at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Head Hose Scale

Fresh water will just about solve that. If this was right at the toilet connection, then it might not extend all the way through the hose. PVC pipe also seems to solve the problem. I don't know why it should, but it doesn't seem to form scale deposits as bad as hose.

I can't tell if your sentence "This in spite of all the acid i have flushed through that hose over the tears" was an autocorrect, or exactly how you meant it...

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #3 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Yes, its really obvious thats not going to be removed with acid. Let along the vinegar brigade.

If your going to use acid it needs to be done weekly from week 1.

The cost of sanitation hose is ridiculous. utterly stupid. But changing it so often is the only way.
With the diameter reduced by half any visitor will clog it up.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Part of regular care and feeding of a salt flushed head is removal of hoses and whopping them on the edge of the dock.The floppy bits in the pump need dealing with too. the thru hull can be a problem. Fresh water flush mostly prevents it but you have to start clean.
post #5 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
removal of hoses and whopping them on the edge of the dock.

Your boat must be mch better thn mine, but removing them is an utter pain. and bloodthirsty work too on the knuckles.

I did that once and split the hose. In some dump without replacements.

Never again. Every big haulout I have someone else exchange them. Bliss

They need replacing now. Sooner than the antifoul... but I am in cold water.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
post #6 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Can occur with fresh water but takes much longer. Using only RO water does prevent it. Also don’t leave urine in it.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #7 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

For the amount of work it takes to remove and replace I would never consider taking them out and "whopping" them and putting the old ones back in.

So that took just 20 hours of time and 1 boat buck

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #8 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Watched the Harbor Patrol (county sheriff) tongue lash a dockmate for 30 minutes for using a palm sander without a dust collector on his cap rails. I can only imagine their response to someone whacking hoses on the docks.

"Just call me TB"
post #9 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Watched the Harbor Patrol (county sheriff) tongue lash a dockmate for 30 minutes for using a palm sander without a dust collector on his cap rails. I can only imagine their response to someone whacking hoses on the docks.
I’m not doing it. Once I went through the effort to get it out, I’d put new back in. That said, I’ve seen it done. It didn’t contaminate, as the end was plugged. Plugging is always a good idea, as you extract longer length of hose, in the event it contains some settled “liquid”.

I just replaced the standing length on a couple of heads last season. Just the 4 feet or so, up to the vented loop, which holds standing water and is the most likely to scale. Chucked and replaced. Disgusting mess in the head, on extraction. I hate old plumbing more than any other job.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Watched the Harbor Patrol (county sheriff) tongue lash a dockmate for 30 minutes for using a palm sander without a dust collector on his cap rails.
You're kidding!!

The world has gone crackers!

Sea Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in