SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Adjusting Lifelines

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  mstern 
#1 ·
I have some sad, loose, vinyl covered lifelines. I'm trying to avoid the expense of new lines, so I'm experimenting with removing the vinyl covering, removing whatever rust stains there are, and tightening up the lines.

This question relates to adjusting the lines. I took one of the shorter lines home to work on over the winter. I figured out a good way to remove the vinyl, but the adjusting nut is frozen. I've applied PB Blaster, but the big question is: which way do I turn the nut to "loosen" it? So far, it won't budge in either direction, but I haven't let the oil work for long. I'm just frustrated that my efforts in one direction may be totally counterproductive. I guess the question really is: is there a consistent way these things are built so that one knows which way to turn the nuts?

thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you take a very close look at the threads on the male portion, it should become obvious which direction to turn to loosen the fitting.
Can't tell from your photo, but they are often a left hand thread. I take my life lines off every fall and store for the winter. I also removed the vinyl. I found it was easier to do it on the boat with a knife. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Easy? I guess that's subjective. Using a heat gun, I soften the vinyl, about a foot or two at a time, then I score it using a utility blade. Reapplying the heat gun, I use a pair of pliers to pull the vinyl off. Once I got the hang of it, I could get the vinyl to pull off on the scored sections, often a couple of feet at a time. I suppose I could try and soften/score the entire length of the lifeline, then go back, reheat and try and pull it off all at once. Hmmmm. Gonna try that.

#11 ·
I wonder if a drawknife would be helpful in removing the vinyl.

I replaced my 10 year old lifelines a couple of years back. Went with bare wire.

If the wire and swages are not showing any corrosion, I see no reason to replace. However, it sounds like the OPs are. I certainly understand the practical limitations right now.

#14 ·
I removed the vinyl from my two "test" lines in my workshop over the winter. I can't do much with the others right now because of the shrink wrap. But if I can free up the turnbuckles while the lines are on the boat so I can adjust them, I do intend to try and remove the vinyl while the lines are in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.