pressure cooker advice - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 Old 01-25-2017

Re: pressure cooker advice

The only thing I ever used a pressure cooker for was sour beef and pot roast, though I guess you could use it for certain stews and chili. Chicken and fish go to the gas grill mounted on the rail, though I have pan sauteed salmon and cobia fillets at times. IMO, a pressure cooker is absolutely useless for fish and chicken.

Good luck,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 Old 01-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
.... IMO, a pressure cooker is absolutely useless for fish and chicken.
What happens to the fish and chicken when pressure cooked?
I plan to get a p-cooker.
post #23 of 60 Old 01-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
... IMO, a pressure cooker is absolutely useless for fish and chicken...
No Gary, it ain't!!!

1) Layer potatoes, onions, green peppers, cilantro, etc with small fish such as sardines or any fish steaks or thick fillets, irrigate with olive oil and add your salt, garlic, etc.
Bring to pressure and shut it off, let the pressure subside.
Wow, I'm drooling.

2) Chicken cacciatore. Many recipes, here is one:
Pressure Cooker Simple Chicken Cacciatore | Pressure Cooking Today

troy2000 likes this.

post #24 of 60 Old 01-25-2017

Most of the fish I caught and cooked in the pressure cooker came out to mushfish. They were all a lot better tasting when done on the gas grill.

Chicken cacciatore, is not one that I tried, but did do some others, and YECH! I guess I'm getting old.

All the best,

Gary
post #25 of 60 Old 01-26-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Stick a chicken and a can of milk (remove the can) in a pressure cooker. Come back an hour later for cream of chicken soup. Or turn dried beans into chili.

Other than that...I've screwed around with them often enough. I don't do "cooking by rote" I prefer to be able to lift the lid and see how things are doing from time to time. Which means shut the cooker, cool down the cooker, open the cooker, reheat and repressurize the cooker...

Nope. Only good for "recipe cooks" who really always "cook by the numbers". And sometimes do a damned fine job at that. I'm not that structured in the galley or kitchen, I'm more the type who gets asked "How'd you come up with this stuff? There was nothing in the fridge!"
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #26 of 60 Old 01-27-2017

Pressure cookers are the best boat cooking tool, because they are designed to reduce time in the galley and time to cook, which saves fuel. They will physically cook anything, but I've yet to see a fine restaurant theme based upon a kitchen that exclusively used pressure cookers.

Great for stew and casseroles and I'm a big fan of those. Anything that can be eaten in one bowl, is great at sea. But they have their limits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 60 Old 01-27-2017
Sailor

This thread is making me hungry
fryewe likes this.
post #28 of 60 Old 01-27-2017
Mermaid Hunter

The appeal to me of a pressure cooker is speed and fuel savings. Generally I use them for rice and beans as part of something more complex. I have a couple of recipes that are all pressure cooker including pot roast and brisket and a derivation of a family meat and noodle dish.

The pressure cooker also is latched closed which has some appeal when the cooker hits the gimbal stops.

All that said, while I understand the desire to see the progress of a dish, in the world of poorly insulated ovens with low thermal inertia opening the door all the time to look is even worse than ashore. That's why I sit on the floor in front of the cooker with a flashlight and keep up with the food and the thermometer through the glass window.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #29 of 60 Old 01-27-2017

Pressure cookers are cool. They are all about conservation, not necessarily environmentalist type conservation, but practical conservation by people with limited access to high quality cooking fuel. I've observed them in heavy use in the deserts in western India and the highlands in northern Nepal a lot.

As you get further from affluent town centres in these regions, you quickly start to recognise their importance. If you've ever tried making rice or tea or pretty well anything over a yack dung fire at high altitude in cool temperatures you know what I mean. There just isn't enough heat from a dung fire to properly cook rice and beans without a pressure cooker. This is an inconvenience for the mountaineering tourist, but can have health impacts on the locals if they are constantly eating partially cooked food, especially for the young and old.

I think for the most part cruising boats have gotten so big, with such big fuel capacities with so many replenishment options, fuel conservation is not as big of a priority as it once was. But if you do want/need to conserve fuel I think a pressure cooker could make a big difference.

My issue is my wife won't let me have one, I think she pictures some kind of dramatic explosion tearing the side of the boat out, I've been trying to convince her we should get one for years now.
post #30 of 60 Old 01-27-2017

A pressure cooker is a useful tool for all the reasons stated, but there is a learning curve for more delicate foods like fish and non-fibrous vegetables. One mistake people make is to buy a cooker that's too large, which increases the heat-up and cool-down time. Buy one that's the right size, use it regularly at home for a year to get up the curve, and you'll love it on the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in