pressure cooker advice - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 60 Old 01-28-2017

Re: pressure cooker advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
.....My issue is my wife won't let me have one, I think she pictures some kind of dramatic explosion......
I may be wrong, but I think that's essentially a think of the past. Old cookers had a stem fitting and a weight to hold the pressure back, which could clog with food. Pretty sure modern designs have generally licked this problem. I'm not an avid pressure cooker (nor worry about this when I do), so I hope others will weigh in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 01-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
......That's why I sit on the floor in front of the cooker with a flashlight and keep up with the food and the thermometer through the glass window.
I know that routine. I have an oven thermometer sitting on the shelf. It's a bit of a PITA, but it's critical if baking. Less so if braising or roasting. If anything, I find keeping the temp low enough is the problem. Every vacation gets something baked, but it's not as common on weekends. I have a blueberry buckle recipe out of an old schooner cookbook that is a must, when in Maine. Wonder how they regulated temps in a wood burning oven.

I've never seen a propane oven on a boat that had a good thermostat. Wonder why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #33 of 60 Old 01-28-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I may be wrong, but I think that's essentially a think of the past. Old cookers had a stem fitting and a weight to hold the pressure back, which could clog with food. Pretty sure modern designs have generally licked this problem.
That is my experience. My Kuhn-Rikon has a spring-loaded pressure valve that plays the role of the old "jiggler." In addition there is a blow-out plug in the lid (like a freeze plug in an engine) and the seal is set to allow a gap between the pot and the lid if the pressure gets too high. My old Presto pressure canner on the other hand depends entirely on the jiggler and I pay special attention to keeping the stem clean.

Quote:
I've never seen a propane oven on a boat that had a good thermostat. Wonder why.
Hmm. Propane ovens ashore work pretty well. Marine ones suffer from size and poor insulation so heat distribution inside is spotty. I haven't seen a gas valve with variable gas flow - they seem to be on-off valves so you get whatever the valve turns on and off. A baking stone helps some keeping temperature even, turning the food once or twice helps, and otherwise keeping the door closed helps most.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #34 of 60 Old 01-28-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

The vintage cheapie has a jiggler, but there's also a rubber "plug" in the lid, so if the jiggler gets jammed up, the plug will shoot out before the pot can explode. The new gen-you-whine fancy brand pot has some kind of trick handle that is supposed to blow off steam if there's a problem.

So, tell your wife it is like a Stanley Steamer: Despite everything that Henry Ford said about them, there never was a boiler explosion. Steam has been safe for a long time.

Oil burns and fires from skillets, now that's a very different story.

And i'm told (haven't fact checked it) that in classic Rome, citizens took their food to a local bakery to have it cooked. Dangerous stoves and fireplaces weren't allowed for the hoi polloi.
post #35 of 60 Old 11-30-2017

Love my pressure cooker. Go for a stove top one, keeps fuel use down and keeps the heat in the galley down :-)
post #36 of 60 Old 11-30-2017
HANUMAN

I think you all are not thinking this through.

Doubles as a bucket if the head breaks

Placed over the head with a couple wraps of a long sail tie down around your the chin and it makes for a nice helmet in the event Oracle needs last minute crew.

Swung wildly from right to left at the head of a zombie may destroy the brain. I would guess it would be easier on those that have started to decompose. It might take a few swings if my girlfriend was recently bit and turned. She's hard headed.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #37 of 60 Old 11-30-2017

The single most useful tools In the galley is the pressure cooker. Unless you love going to fill propane tanks. Beans 45 minutes from dry!! Conch in butter sauce , yum. I have a 15;year old tfal and still going strong. Make sure you carry extra seals . I know itís obvious but itís also just a regular pot. So once less thing to stow. I make bolognese in it boil pasta , you name it.
Modern ones donít explode. Plus less time equals less heat in the Caribbean.
I stream is correct learning curve is there but if you undercook just leave the top off and keep boiling . If you over cook , stew it is!
I even made cake and bread in mine when my stove went out and waited 4 mo this for a part.
Good luck
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #38 of 60 Old 12-01-2017

Who's tried one of these new Instant Pots? They run on 110v AC, so they're not as cruiser friendly as a stove top pressure cooker. However, they are fast and unbelievably simple. They start and stop automatically, in the event you're distarcated or unavailable when the timer goes off. No open flame could be considered an advantage. Personally, I do not like having the galley out of eye sight if a burner is on.

These pots are temperature and time controlled pressure cookers. The will do slow cooking too, but I see no advantage to that for a cruiser. You press a button and it will heat to sautť first, if needed. Then throw all your ingredients in, slap on the top and press Stew, Soup, etc. Starts and stops automatically. Of course, manual settings are available, but unlike microwave auto buttons, the instant pots auto settings actually seem to work.

If you do the type of cruising that may run a generator for a single hour here and there to recharge batts or make hot water, it would be a free add on to plug in the pot. Most everything takes 35 mins or less.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #39 of 60 Old 12-01-2017

Quote:
Who's tried one of these new Instant Pots?
We have one. And like it. The big problem for use on a boat is the power requirement. Ours is rated at 1000 watts, so really only usable at the dock or if you have a generator.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #40 of 60 Old 12-01-2017

Depends on if you are livng at the dock or on a trawler. If your afraid to leave a stove unattended what do you do at home. Buy a couple of cheap timers ! I would be more afraid of wiring than of gas.

For me itís all about energy anything electric takes twice as much energy because you have charge the batteries then suck em dry.
1000 watts equals 83 amps. How big is your battery bank and how fast can you charge it.
Take a cooking class instead.
The idea of cruising for me anyway, is relaxing! If I take a whole day and do nothing, Iíve won.
So cooking is always fun and something to fill my days , not the rush like back on land.
Also depending where you cruise makes a difference. Iím in the water almost everyday so I eat lots of conch , lobster and whatever else I find. If someone has fresh goat or chicken then roti
Peaceful sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in