Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
....1000 watts.....
CrockPot on meth....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 Old 12-01-2017

Re: pressure cooker advice

Talking about electric pressure cookers not crock pots! Look it up the medium one is 1000 Watts large one is 1200.
But always nice to see another smartass like myself here
post #43 of 60 Old 12-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnbh View Post
Depends on if you are livng at the dock or on a trawler.
That's pretty limited thinking. We run our 8kw generator at least once per day to make ice and hot water for showers. Knocking out a 30 min pressure cooker meal would essential cost nothing.

Quote:
If your afraid to leave a stove unattended what do you do at home. Buy a couple of cheap timers ! I would be more afraid of wiring than of gas.
It's the open flame that is my concern, which I do not have at home. If I did have a gas cooktop at home, I would never leave that on, when I went outside either. Granted, wiring is the number one cause of boat fires, but an open flame is a danger aboard, no matter how you look at it.

Quote:
For me itís all about energy anything electric takes twice as much energy because you have charge the batteries then suck em dry.
1000 watts equals 83 amps. How big is your battery bank and how fast can you charge it.
As I pointed out, this would not require any battery power aboard, if you have and already use a generator.

Quote:
Take a cooking class instead.
Ok, newbie/self-proclaimed smartass. I will give you one pass and hope you have more constructive contributions, as you settle in. I'm a pretty damn good cook. Not a relevant point to whether this device is effective.

Quote:
The idea of cruising for me anyway, is relaxing! If I take a whole day and do nothing, Iíve won.
So cooking is always fun and something to fill my days , not the rush like back on land.
I enjoy cooking as well, but a 3 hour braising is not cooking, it's watching. Knocking that out in 30 mins is great. We're going to give short ribs, then baby backed ribs a shot next.

Quote:
Also depending where you cruise makes a difference. Iím in the water almost everyday so I eat lots of conch , lobster and whatever else I find. If someone has fresh goat or chicken then roti
Peaceful sailing
I would not use this for seafood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #44 of 60 Old 12-01-2017

8k genset. I get it now. Iím also just a newbie here because of Irma and Maria Iím on land in the states. Never had internet on board. My cooking class comment was meant to be constructive not mean.
I try to not go to the dock. So genset equals fuel no matter what. You must be on a large boat or power boat. My 44 held 90 gals of fuel still had solar panels. I could also see my galley from the cockpit.
While I wouldnít go to shore , I would certainly lay in the cockpit and read a book while cooking.
Iíve lived on board for 40 years so just trying to pass on some info.
Everyone has their style Iíve just never liked the dock scene. But I donít really like the land or the U.S. thing either. Once they find all the parts of all the boats and clean up the islands I can go home to the West Indies. Iím just to old to do clean it again. Hugo and marylin were enough
Hard to interpret peopleís feelings on this interweb thing.
Burn that fossil fuel and drill baby drill! ( that was me being a smartass).
Have you ever read the van sant book? Itís got some good ideas.
Iím sure your a great cook and a fine person. Hope you have great days on the water.
post #45 of 60 Old 12-01-2017

Cheers capnbh, we’ll get along just fine. Sounds like you’ll have a lot to contribute. Welcome. Our boat is listed in my signature line, a Jeanneau 54DS.

We don’t think of ourselves as live aboards, but we do live aboard 4 days per week from Apr thru Oct, plus a few cruises of a week to three weeks in length. We have a permanent slip, however, we are at anchor nearly every week. We very rarely utilize a transient slip, when away from our own. We carry 110 gallons of fuel and have plans to add more capacity, for offshore passages. We have not yet added solar, but plan to. For now, we run the generator daily to recharge, therefore, electric appliances are not inconvenient.

Sorry to hear about your boat loss. Hope you recover soon.

See you around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #46 of 60 Old 12-01-2017

thanks all is well the old toilet needs a flush down there now and again. Luckily with age some wisdom I had insurance.
Peace
post #47 of 60 Old 12-02-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

out here cruising in mexico just fine with my antique 15 year old presto aluminum pressure cooker.
used to have a really pricey stainless steel one but they each last same length of time, so when that beauty was stolen i went to cheapo presto, as i grew up with those. surprisingly durable presto. donot underrate them. momma even used hers for canning.
why pay more .

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #48 of 60 Old 12-03-2017

I enjoy cooking as well, but a 3 hour braising is not cooking, it's watching. Knocking that out in 30 mins is great. We're going to give short ribs, then baby backed ribs a shot next.

Yes on that! Perfecting my pulled pork in the pressure cooker, just about got it right. Bringing back some seccret herbs and spices to give it a go for a New Years party in the tropics.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #49 of 60 Old 06-18-2018

We have one aboard and use it a lot.
post #50 of 60 Old 06-19-2018

Update on the Instant Pot.........

For the most part, I still like it. However, it really depends on what's inside. If you don't have sufficient liquid to make steam, the pressure valve never closes. Learned that the hard way with some tomato sauce. Burned too.

The second revelation......... for small batches, the pot heated to temperature in a few minutes, so total run time was not significantly longer. When I made a full pot of stew, it took at least 20 mins just to come to temp, then cook for 35-40 more. Not as quick as originally experienced. I suppose that was a few meals at once, so perhaps efficient if you look at it that way, but that requires at least an hour of generator time. Not the end of the world, since it typically runs that long anyway, but not as great.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in