Canning Your Food - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 90 Old 06-15-2015

Re: Canning Your Food

Wide mouth Mason jars are more general purpose. They can can most anything but really shine when packed with salmon.My 20 liter pressure cooker sits idle in the basement and needs a new ower. Canning oysters is a waste of time but clams and crab/prawns #1. Look in the supermarket for the foam mesh covers on papayas.perfect for protecting your precious in the bilge. (when I was a kid, heard about an Aborigine from Aus, He'd built a boat on the beach in Gibson's BC. Filled it with really big glass jars of lemon juice and salmon fillets. In Mexico replaced the fish with abalone steaks for the return to salmon land. Just to show it's all been done before and we're not off the chart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 90 Old 06-15-2015
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
We canned butter, too. Need to do a view about that. The butter came out really good, and should last for months to years. Great way to store things. The bacon came out crumbly, but tasted like bacon. Will probably use it in salads and mixing with eggs.

We've done beans, chili, carrots, tomatoes, chicken, pea soup, and probably some other things I've forgotten.
The trick to the bacon is paper on both sides to keep it from sticking to its self and thick sliced to prevent crumbling

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 90 Old 06-15-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I admire and respect the folks who really know what they are doing with canning but mainly have avoided it myself. Our US FDA has done a lot of lab work with actually testing canning and doing bacteriological, etc. testing on the results, because folks also routinely used to kill themselves--and others--with home canning.

Problem #1, the bacon is not immersed in fluid, it is being "dry" canned in the jars. So there's some question of how much heat is getting how far into the jar, and how uniformly. The FDA also warns against using 1/2 gallon jars almost completely, because in that case even with sauces, they've found the contents do not heat evenly, leaving the center of the jar to grow toxins. So, who confirms those pint or quart jars need or get how much heat? All the way through them?

Despite Blue Bell Ice Cream and some other national lapses and recalls...at least here in the US, pre-cooked bacon in shelf-stable plastic packs is readily available. It is pretty much the same product, bacon that has been interleaved with wax paper, then placed in a sterile poly bag and heated with some precision until almost completely cooked and very carefully and certainly sterilized. Perhaps that is only available in the US market...but no jars, no canners, no...was that really a one-burner "Korean bbq" butane stove? Just asking, I know they don't really blow up boats all the time.

Seeing bacon aging for up to three years hanging in a charcuterie, I just have to wonder about all the canning fuss for it. I'm still reluctant to be part of a canning experiment, especially after I've seen the pretty colors of botulism blooms in garlic that I'd put up in olive oil. Who knew, you need more stuff to prevent that.

post #14 of 90 Old 06-15-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

I've been canning garden veggies for years. Having a garden almost makes it mandatory because for a few weeks in our VERY short summers there is way more than one can possibly eat or give away. That's a problem with gardens. Right now if anyone wants a salad, I have LOTS of free lettuce! :-) Most of my friends have veggies to give away at the same time. I have never canned meat (requires a pressure canner which I don't have) but would like to do that for boat stores. A buddy up the road from me does a lot of dried and smoked food. Those methods look great as well for boat use.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #15 of 90 Old 06-15-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Isn't free lettuce the way you start to make lots of canned hasenpfeffer? (G)
post #16 of 90 Old 06-15-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Really? I'll check it out. I didn't think lettuce was good for much other than salads and on sandwiches.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #17 of 90 Old 06-15-2015
Old soul

Quote:
But where do you get the wabbit?

https://youtu.be/5bGvv2VUP_8

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 90 Old 06-15-2015

Quote:
I admire and respect the folks who really know what they are doing with canning but mainly have avoided it myself. Our US FDA has done a lot of lab work with actually testing canning and doing bacteriological, etc. testing on the results, because folks also routinely used to kill themselves--and others--with home canning.

Problem #1, the bacon is not immersed in fluid, it is being "dry" canned in the jars. So there's some question of how much heat is getting how far into the jar, and how uniformly. The FDA also warns against using 1/2 gallon jars almost completely, because in that case even with sauces, they've found the contents do not heat evenly, leaving the center of the jar to grow toxins. So, who confirms those pint or quart jars need or get how much heat? All the way through them?

Despite Blue Bell Ice Cream and some other national lapses and recalls...at least here in the US, pre-cooked bacon in shelf-stable plastic packs is readily available. It is pretty much the same product, bacon that has been interleaved with wax paper, then placed in a sterile poly bag and heated with some precision until almost completely cooked and very carefully and certainly sterilized. Perhaps that is only available in the US market...but no jars, no canners, no...was that really a one-burner "Korean bbq" butane stove? Just asking, I know they don't really blow up boats all the time.

Seeing bacon aging for up to three years hanging in a charcuterie, I just have to wonder about all the canning fuss for it. I'm still reluctant to be part of a canning experiment, especially after I've seen the pretty colors of botulism blooms in garlic that I'd put up in olive oil. Who knew, you need more stuff to prevent that.
The FDA wouldn't approve of most things virtually everyone does in kitchens at home. When you grow up in a sterile environment and everything has to be wiped down with lysol and bleach and you have to wash your hands before and after doing anything at all, your immune system becomes so weak that you have to live that way for the rest of your life, and you become deathly afraid to eat things that the rest of the world wouldn't think twice about. I was once told that every child ought to eat a pound of dirt by the time they're 8. Kids should grow up playing outside, putting bugs and dirt and rocks in their mouths, and learning about the world around them. And I argue that anyone that didn't grow up that way missed out on a great childhood. I'm not a slob by any means, but I don't wash my hands ten times a day, I don't wipe my counters down with bleach or lysol after cooking, I cook dinner in the same cast iron pan I made eggs in that morning without washing, eat veggies that fell on the floor, etc. And I don't get sick. I don't get head colds, I don't get the flu, under cooked meat doesn't bother me nearly as much as most other people... it's great. Let your body do it's job. Nature designed your immune system to keep you safe from foreign bacteria, and most people are so afraid of bacteria from watching the news and hearing about some dude that did so and so that everything must be sterilized and you weaken your immune system every time you don't exercise it. Liken it to a person's legs that has been in a wheel chair for years. It couldn't support anything if it really had to. Any part of our bodies need exercise and use to be as strong as they can be, whether its muscle, tissue, liver, kidney, immune system, etc.

I'm not condoning unsafe practices or eating raw chicken and the sort, but let your body do its job once in a while. I've never heard of people dying from eating their homemade canned food, and I grew up around canning and around other families that did the same. Being afraid of canning your own food is so ridiculous. It's all natural, has no hormones and preservatives and all the other crap that's added to food these days. Replacing your immune system with cleanser in a bottle and eating all the genetically modified "food" from farms half way across the country or world will make our bodies more fragile and create more problems that it intends to stop. Getting an upset stomach once in a while (I'm not talking about wildly vomiting or sitting on the toilet for three days... that's what happens when you have no immune system though) is a drop in the bucket compared to all the lengths people go these days to live sterile. Then having a sick child sneeze in your face accidentally keeps you out of work for a week, when your body would have not had a problem with it at all had it not been for your overly cautious sterile practices.

Again, let your immune system do what it is intended to do. Don't dismiss a practice that has been in place far before the FDA even existed. People lived healthier lives 100 years ago than we do now, and our diets and daily habits are the reason so many people get sick and fat so easily these days.

*end rant* Sorry for so many words.

Last edited by Tbone; 06-15-2015 at 04:13 PM.
post #19 of 90 Old 06-15-2015

Family was self sufficient off the land and sea since '49. Spent 10 years coasting on Thane ,canning everything edible, from abalone /deer to veggies and fruit. If I couldn't find it wild ,traded at the farmers market for canned pinks. Plant stuff is 60 minutes at pressure ,fish,90 min. Never had a bad jar of anything. but always check the concavity of the lid. Got a big garden and a freezer in the basement now,so easy.
post #20 of 90 Old 06-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Family was self sufficient off the land and sea since '49. Spent 10 years coasting on Thane ,canning everything edible, from abalone /deer to veggies and fruit. If I couldn't find it wild ,traded at the farmers market for canned pinks. Plant stuff is 60 minutes at pressure ,fish,90 min. Never had a bad jar of anything. but always check the concavity of the lid. Got a big garden and a freezer in the basement now,so easy.
Yup, it just needs to be properly cooked, and the jars have to seal well. If they don't seal, just toss it in the fridge and use it first. The seal is the most important thing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in