Canning Your Food - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 90 Old 06-22-2015
Quirky

Re: Canning Your Food

With canning, botulism is the potential problem. The actual bacteria doesn't bother those of us with normal systems. It's the toxins. For an extra safeguard, boil the food for 10 minutes prior to eating and you'll have neutralized the toxins.

Home canning, when done properly, very rarely leads to botulism poisoning or any other food poisoning. Home canning doesn't require excessive brain power. There are a lot of books out there with tried and true recipes.

And TB requires more time exposed than someone coughing in your face once.

This post is made from recycled electrons

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 90 Old 06-22-2015
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
I'll not say what I really think of this comment so as to not start an argument on someone else's thread, but your definitions need some tuning, and your attitude could stand to change a bit. You're not helping anyone. At all.

Mike, thanks for starting the other thread. I'll check it out now. Right now I'm having my coffee and canning some crushed blueberries and black raspberries, freshly picked. I decided I didn't really want jelly, just crushed berries. They're barely thick enough to spread for pb&j's (might need to drain a little), great for pancakes, waffles, or ice cream, and I imagine I could toss a dallop of them in baked goods, as well as yogurt. I haven't added any sugar to the blueberries and don't think I will. The black raspberries have less than half the sugar that my Presto booklet calls for, and I wish I had used less, or none. I've never been a fan of super sweet foods and processed sugar. They're sweet enough for me, and the blueberries still retain some of the tartness.
Thin juicy berries are the reason they make pectin to add a lil thickness without reduction which can damage the flavor some.
Also remember the booklet you have is likely written within the last twenty years and people seem to want more sugar than they did back in the day when my canning book was written in the early 1930's

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 90 Old 06-22-2015

Greeen apples have a lot of pectin A bit of sauce in the berries firms things up.If it's going into a pie I sometimes use a bit of cornstarch (cheating??)

post #84 of 90 Old 06-22-2015

For those of you that enjoy the taste of roasted garlic, here's something that you can make at home and store for extended periods, unrefrigerated, on the boat until opened. I make a couple batches of this every year, and everyone loves it.

ROASTED GARLIC & ONION MARMALADE

2 Tblsp. Beef broth
12 cups thinly sliced red and yellow onions
1/4-cup roasted garlic
1/4-cup balsamic vinegar
3 cups cane sugar
1-1/2 cups water
1 pkg. Sure-Gel or Fruit Pectin
2 Tblsp. Orange Juice
1 Tsp. Black pepper

In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm broth, add onions and garlic, cover and cook until translucent and very soft (about 45 minutes). Add sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Uncover, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring periodically. Add vinegar and cook until the onion is caramelized, about 45 minutes longer. Add pepper, water and orange juice, bring to a strong boil, then stir in Sure-Gel and cook about one additional minute at high boil. Remove from heat, place in sterilized jars and seal while hot to prevent spoilage. NOTE: This recipe is adapted from an onion marmalade recipe and should be adjusted to suit your taste. You may wish to add more sugar, garlic or vinegar. Serve over cream cheese with crackers or use as a glaze for any type of roast. Enjoy!

Gary
Minnewaska likes this.
post #85 of 90 Old 06-22-2015

Gary, that sound pretty darn good. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #86 of 90 Old 06-22-2015

That does sound very good. Gary, when you make it, is it about as sweet as any other jam or marmalade? Sounds great, I do love snacking on cheese and crackers.

Also, I know this topic was a while ago, but for those who said to never put garlic in olive oil... I had mentioned I have been doing that and never had issues, but I forgot to mention that I keep it refridgerated. It keeps a while. Just putting that out there.
post #87 of 90 Old 06-22-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Tbone, even Napolean said he would rather have a lucky general than a brilliant one.

You've been LUCKY, VERY LUCKY, with the garlic in olive oil. Leave it in the fridge a while longer and you should also see the pretty pastel botulism blooms. Botulism is not in all soils, but it is so widespread that it is in most of them. Maybe not in the ones you've had YET, but plain garlic in olive oil...

You know the line from Inspector Closeau, "Does your dog bite?" "No" "
OUCH! But you said your dog doesn't bite!" "That's not my dog."

One day, it will not be the same garlic, and you'll be bit. Easier to put in a little citric acid or salt or whatever you choose, and make sure you don't get terribly ill. Or dead.

Folks forget, that's the kind of stuff that was terribly commonplace and one big reason that home canning went out of favor.
post #88 of 90 Old 06-22-2015

It is quite sweet, however, it has a distinct and very unique flavor that is downright addictive. In fact, I had some for desert this evening - OH YEAH!

Gary
post #89 of 90 Old 06-25-2015

Here I thought home canning went out of favor because it involved actual work. It is amazing that humanity was able to survive long enough on home food preservation to learn that it is hazardous to your health.......... But, I learn something new everyday.
post #90 of 90 Old 07-24-2015

Since I tended to ignore my garden amid this incredibly hot summer, many of my radishes bolted away into seed pods. Mentioned how good they were as snacks to one of my tenants ,a south American spice affectionado,. He pick a passel and pickled them. Unbelievable!! I used to put them in caper juice but it's apparent there's more to this gathering and gleaning stuff than I knew.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in