post #21 of 34 Old 06-19-2015

Re: Drying Your Food

?

Last edited by Capt Len; 06-19-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 06-19-2015

Ate a lot of sauerkraut as a kid. Shredded cabbage and salt in a big stoneware container with a floating wooden lid held down with a rock. Moaned a bunch but actually quite good with a slab of venison.Never tried it myself on the boat but seems it would be easy.Not labour intensive. Kim chi is close Korean relative. Anyone had more experience?
post #23 of 34 Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I have tried this with apple slices on low power in the microwave. It does not "crispy" dry the slices but takes maybe 90% of the moisture out. They are very palatable in that state as-is with no rehydration. It works for hiking to drastically reduce the space needed to carry say a dozen apples, the mass of which would be impossible if backpacking complete gear. I just wonder if this might be a good way to remove most of the moisture before getting it down to "crispy" dryness and speed up the process. They would probably burn if left too long and the cell structure would likely not rehydrate after getting zapped.
I did a quick search and yes, in deed, there are "microwave dehydrators" out there. I had no idea . I even found a research paper on the subject. The abstract says:

"Dried apple pieces were harder and more shrunk when pre-treated with microwaves, compared to only air dehydration. Despite the shrinkage and increased firmness, the rehydration capacity of microwave “blanched” apple cubes was higher than when they were only air-dehydrated. Image analysis of the rehydrated apples showed that large voids (up to 0.5 mm in diameter) had developed, and that these increased with air temperature. Higher magnification of the images revealed cell separation and disruption of cell walls, caused by the microwave heating."

So yes, it does seem to be a way to dry food (apples, at least). The process does break down the food (cook it), which will decrease the nutritional value. But it looks darn easy. Seems worth a try.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 34 Old 06-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Ate a lot of sauerkraut as a kid. Shredded cabbage and salt in a big stoneware container with a floating wooden lid held down with a rock. Moaned a bunch but actually quite good with a slab of venison.Never tried it myself on the boat but seems it would be easy.Not labour intensive. Kim chi is close Korean relative. Anyone had more experience?
Here's one you might not have heard of: small unripe mangoes just cleaned and left whole. Cover with salt and a (cleaned) heavy stone in a large, clear glass jar. Leave in the sun for a week or so. The mangoes give up their water content and become shrivelled pickles suspended in brine. Yum!

The only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask because you thought it would make you look dumb.
post #25 of 34 Old 06-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Here's one you might not have heard of: small unripe mangoes just cleaned and left whole. Cover with salt and a (cleaned) heavy stone in a large, clear glass jar. Leave in the sun for a week or so. The mangoes give up their water content and become shrivelled pickles suspended in brine. Yum!
Interesting. I'd like to try this with paw paws, which grow on the river bottom here. There are unripe paw paws now. Their season is generally September here. I'll have to act fast though. The woodland critters always get them before they ripen.

Quick question though... why unripe fruit? Wouldn't it be sweeter and more flavorful with ripened fruit, and work the same way? Unless you need the unripe fruit because it's less sweet. Maybe the fermentation is different in sauerkraut than it would be with ripened fruit.
post #26 of 34 Old 06-22-2015

I prefer sun-dried tomatoes over fresh tomatoes. I grow a bunch of the little cherry/grape tomatoes. Cut in half and dried, good stuff.

Here's a tray about ready to dry:
MikeOReilly and mbianka like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #27 of 34 Old 06-22-2015 Thread Starter
Old soul

Nice tomatoes Minnesail. Here's some pics of my dryer in action. Here I'm drying mushrooms, ground beef and zucchini.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0286.jpg  

BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 34 Old 06-22-2015 Thread Starter
Old soul

Here's a batch of green peppers before and after:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0279 (1).jpg   IMG_0282.jpg  
Minnesail likes this.

BLOG:
post #29 of 34 Old 06-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Quick question though... why unripe fruit? Wouldn't it be sweeter and more flavorful with ripened fruit, and work the same way? Unless you need the unripe fruit because it's less sweet. Maybe the fermentation is different in sauerkraut than it would be with ripened fruit.
I suppose ripe fruit would just get soggy and squishy, and might even spoil before being preserved by the brine. Besides, ripe mangoes are very sweet, whereas unripe ones are quite tart, just right for pickling in brine.
post #30 of 34 Old 06-23-2015

Have you dried pineapple? I can never find dried pineapple that isn't covered in sugar. It would seem pineapple would be very sweet without adding sugar.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in