Cooking with Seawater - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-08-2017 Thread Starter

Cooking with Seawater

What are you experiences?

Never would..never have..only some foods..only when moon is full..goes well with rum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-08-2017

Re: Cooking with Seawater

Plenty of times, usually to cook freshly collected seafood. Some fresh water usually mixed in with the salt. Where I spent the summers everybody had big fire blackened pots. Summer bonfire lobster and crab cookouts, clams, mussels....Good memories. Used to snorkel and grab the crabs off the bottom, dig clams at low tide. Buy lobster fresh off the boat or later when they move in close to shore you could sometimes grab them in fairly shallow water at low tide.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #3 of 11 Old 12-08-2017
Master Mariner

First crossing from Frisco to Hawaii on my own boat, we tried to make spaghetti with sea water. Every other crossing, be it on a 600 foot ship or a 65 foot ketch, the only thing I'd had to do with food was as a consumer, so I knew nothing about preparation at sea.
Not a long (about 35 minutes actually), but a really frustrating story later, especially when the crew is letting you know they are a tad hungry, the pasta was completely inedible. A few weeks of trying to get the ratio of sweet water to sea water correct was just as frustrating and I have never attempted to use sea water for cooking, ever again. It probably wouldn't have saved a cup per gallon of fresh water, anyway. Boiling crab and lobster yes, but actually cooking, not so much.
We were taught a Fijian recipe for Moray eel that requires cooking the eel in sea water five separate times, to wash out the toxins, before one can begin to cook in earnest, but that's probably not what you are looking for.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 11 Old 12-09-2017

Only thing to boil lobster in.
That's the only thing I have tried cooking in sea water.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-09-2017

Interesting experience by Capta. We use straight sea water to boil pasta, as a rule. No fresh added at all. Pasta is so bland, I'm surprised it could become too salty, unless what it was added to was salty.

Seawater salinity does vary by locale. On average, I think a gallon of seawater has about 6tbs of salt in it. Certainly more than one would add to fresh water to boil pasta. Still I'm surprised by the uptake.

Mid-post, I thought to see what the chefs say. I read that salted boiling pasta water will uptake 3% of the salt to the pasta. That would mean, in a gallon of seawater, you would adding a little less than a half a teaspoon of salt to a pound of pasta. It does sound like too much, but depending on what is added, it could be easily balanced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2017
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I use 1 part seawater to 2 parts fresh.

I have tried the all seawater with pasta route but it is too salty for me.
sailforlife likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2017
Learning the HARD way...

With pasta, I use half sea and half fresh water. I once tried straight sea water, and the admiral complained. I don't boil any other foods on board.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2017
HANUMAN

Sort of... I throw my corn (with husk) in a mesh dive bag and hang it overboard for a few hours. Then I throw it right onto the grill. When it's ready we shuck it and then roll it in a mixture of olive oil, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.

Good stuff.
oysterman23 likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #9 of 11 Old 12-09-2017

Dock

Back in the days before a low carb diet we tried seawater for pasta. Half seawater half fresh water. Tasted horrible.

What else do you book on a boat... excepting crustaceans as mentioned by some?

So sea water is great to have plumbed into the sink for dishwashing but useless for cooking.
sailforlife likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #10 of 11 Old 12-09-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Wait.
So, you guys don't bring along a gallon of thoroughly used pasta water, just topping it up for each new batch of pasta? You just throw it all out and make up a fresh batch every time?
Huh. The things I never realized.

No, I don't salt the pasta water, or the corn water. Not at all. Incredible how little salt you need once you've gotten used to not using it, and you taste the FOOD instead of the salt.
Capt Len likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in