SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Brown Rice

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
Crock pot on land is fine, but for quite a while now ive been thinking its just not worth the extra propane.
I have lots onboard...just very slow, pressure cooker or not.

Thoughts....

#2 ·
Retained heat cooking.

Sail Delmarva: 100 Best Buys--Chapter 1

A pile of blankets, a Wonder Bag (pictured) or a Thermos Shuttle Chef. Other brands too. Google it. Heated it to a boil and then wrap it up for 35 minutes. No continuing heat required.

I use retained heat cooking for many things, both on the boat and at home. Like a power-free crockpot.

#5 ·
It depends on the insulation and the food volume, but some will hold over 180F for 8 hours. Holding >140 for 4-6 hours is easy.

Another thing to consider is that the food was sterilized and then the container was not opened. Although not "canned," there is little opportunity for bacteria to start. Not that I would recommend pushing that limit, but this is different from food that has been exposed or that was not well-boiled.

My typical pattern was to start dinner in the afternoon, after anchoring, go play for a little while, and come back to a meal. But often the time was much less. Other advantages are freeing up a burner and (a big one) no heat in the galley.

#4 ·
Im a big fan of brown rice but agree that it takes a hell of a lot of fuel, even in a pressure cooker.

have you tried the pre-cooked varieties? It's what I have been doing on the boat. Not "minute rice", it's a pouch of moist, cooked rice, needs no refrigeration. It's tasty (though not as good as fresh cooked), quick and easy. more expensive, and possibly harder to find. I get a bunch at a time at trader joes.

#6 ·
Im a big fan of brown rice but agree that it takes a hell of a lot of fuel, even in a pressure cooker.

have you tried the pre-cooked varieties? It's what I have been doing on the boat. Not "minute rice", it's a pouch of moist, cooked rice, needs no refrigeration. It's tasty (though not as good as fresh cooked), quick and easy. more expensive, and possibly harder to find. I get a bunch at a time at trader joes.
Costco has large packets of brown rice bowls precooked. Very convenient around home for a quick microwave dinner addition. I am not sure how convenient or storage advantageous it would be on a sailboat.

#8 ·
A wide-mouthed thermos, and a measured amount of boiling water with whatever rice or pasta in it, can let things cook with retained heat at safely high temperatures for hours.

Any decent "oriental supermarket" will have stacks of 20 or 25# bags of a dozen different rices. White, brown, red, gold, jasmine....there's one heck of a lot more than brown or white to look at. And the 20# bags are often the same price as a five pound box of Uncle Ben's in the supermarket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.