Brown Rice - SailNet Community
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By pdqaltair
  • 1 Post By bristol299bob
  • 1 Post By pdqaltair

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-04-2018 Thread Starter

Brown Rice

Crock pot on land is fine, but for quite a while now ive been thinking its just not worth the extra propane.
I have lots onboard...just very slow, pressure cooker or not.

Thoughts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-04-2018

Re: Brown Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Crock pot on land is fine, but for quite a while now ive been thinking its just not worth the extra propane.
I have lots onboard...just very slow, pressure cooker or not.

Thoughts....
Retained heat cooking.

Sail Delmarva: 100 Best Buys--Chapter 1

A pile of blankets, a Wonder Bag (pictured) or a Thermos Shuttle Chef. Other brands too. Google it. Heated it to a boil and then wrap it up for 35 minutes. No continuing heat required.

I use retained heat cooking for many things, both on the boat and at home. Like a power-free crockpot.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #3 of 8 Old 11-04-2018
Barquito

Retained heat cooking looks like a good idea. I would suggest not letting it sit for more that 4 hours at a temperature less than 135 F. Presumably, bacteria will be killed with the initial boil, so, shouldn't be much of a concern.

Valiant 32

post #4 of 8 Old 11-04-2018

Im a big fan of brown rice but agree that it takes a hell of a lot of fuel, even in a pressure cooker.

have you tried the pre-cooked varieties? It's what I have been doing on the boat. Not "minute rice", it's a pouch of moist, cooked rice, needs no refrigeration. It's tasty (though not as good as fresh cooked), quick and easy. more expensive, and possibly harder to find. I get a bunch at a time at trader joes.
chef2sail likes this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #5 of 8 Old 11-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Retained heat cooking looks like a good idea. I would suggest not letting it sit for more that 4 hours at a temperature less than 135 F. Presumably, bacteria will be killed with the initial boil, so, shouldn't be much of a concern.
It depends on the insulation and the food volume, but some will hold over 180F for 8 hours. Holding >140 for 4-6 hours is easy.

Another thing to consider is that the food was sterilized and then the container was not opened. Although not "canned," there is little opportunity for bacteria to start. Not that I would recommend pushing that limit, but this is different from food that has been exposed or that was not well-boiled.

My typical pattern was to start dinner in the afternoon, after anchoring, go play for a little while, and come back to a meal. But often the time was much less. Other advantages are freeing up a burner and (a big one) no heat in the galley.
Barquito likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #6 of 8 Old 11-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
Im a big fan of brown rice but agree that it takes a hell of a lot of fuel, even in a pressure cooker.

have you tried the pre-cooked varieties? It's what I have been doing on the boat. Not "minute rice", it's a pouch of moist, cooked rice, needs no refrigeration. It's tasty (though not as good as fresh cooked), quick and easy. more expensive, and possibly harder to find. I get a bunch at a time at trader joes.
Costco has large packets of brown rice bowls precooked. Very convenient around home for a quick microwave dinner addition. I am not sure how convenient or storage advantageous it would be on a sailboat.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #7 of 8 Old 11-04-2018
Barquito

I think most nutritionist consider cooked raw brown rice, and cooked instant brown rice to be equivalent. Instant brown rice may actually have a lower glycemic index. I know nothing of taste. I have been told I don't have good taste...

Valiant 32
post #8 of 8 Old 11-07-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

A wide-mouthed thermos, and a measured amount of boiling water with whatever rice or pasta in it, can let things cook with retained heat at safely high temperatures for hours.

Any decent "oriental supermarket" will have stacks of 20 or 25# bags of a dozen different rices. White, brown, red, gold, jasmine....there's one heck of a lot more than brown or white to look at. And the 20# bags are often the same price as a five pound box of Uncle Ben's in the supermarket.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in