Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 Old 08-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
5 days is fantastic.

We thought about getting one of those 12 volt coolers a couple years back. Can't remember why we decided against it.
Thermoelectric coolers, or Peltier coolers, are extremely inefficient. Most of them tell you to pre-cool anything you want to put in them and then will only keep stuff 35-40°f cooler than ambient. I looked in to them for car-camping with the family and ended up going with an old Norcold ac/dc refrigerator.

When motorcycle camping I've forgone everyrhing that needs to be cold. Water sources are never an issue in the Cascades so I took a Sawyer Squeeze filter. A lot of Mountain House and Packit Gourmet dehydrated meals. My favorite quick, high calorie meal is Idohoan instant mashed potatoes with Spam cut in to chunks and fried in butter.

I use a Trangia 27 series alcohol cooker. It has a kettle, 2 bowls, and a frying pan.
RegisteredUser and Arcb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 08-01-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
My favorite quick, high calorie meal is Idohoan instant mashed potatoes with Spam cut in to chunks and fried in butter.
Gee, have you had your arteries checked lately? My doctor would go nuts if I told him I ate that! lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 41 Old 08-01-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
In the past, I think you’ve mentioned you often camp ashore on your travels. If I didn’t have to carry the tent on my back, I’d get a bloody standup palace and a real household air mattress. I’d also bring folding lounge chairs. A comfortable chair is the first thing everyone misses, when backpacking. Often the same on smaller boats too. I’ve always liked the Kelly sunshaders too.
All good tips. When we have the sailboat, its like camping with a pick up truck you can pack in so much gear.

We do use a stand up palace. Its a 12x12 gazebo with rain roof, bug netting and wind/sun shades on two sides. Very comfortable and goes up in about 20 minutes. Plus each of us has our own folding chair. We even have a folding high chair for the baby. Camping is no excuse to be uncomfortable we have had situations where we have been weather bound for days on an island. I am pretty cautious about weather when the kids are with me.

For mattresses, we actially use the mattresses off the boat. We just carry them up to our tent. (Marmot Halo 4P).

When I am on my sailing kayak or beach cat, things are a bit more spartan. Hammock strung between two trees with a tarp over it.
Minnewaska likes this.

post #14 of 41 Old 08-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Thermoelectric coolers, or Peltier coolers, are extremely inefficient. Most of them tell you to pre-cool anything you want to put in them and then will only keep stuff 35-40°f cooler than ambient. I looked in to them for car-camping with the family and ended up going with an old Norcold ac/dc refrigerator.
I think that was the reason. No way to power it. Our outboard doesn't charge. Only 20 watts of solar.
post #15 of 41 Old 08-02-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Mosquito or bug netting so you can sleep without being chewed up
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #16 of 41 Old 08-02-2019

A 1kw Honda is an amazing luxury, when camping. Much lighter, smaller and even quieter than the more common 2kw.

My son and I brought one, when we used to camp at fly-ins. It would power a purcolator, a couple of small fans, charge phones and other devices. If you still put ice into an electric travel fridge/cooler, you wouldn't have to run it all day, just enough to avoid heat loss, during sunlight. At these fly-ins, you camp next to the runway and there are no shade trees. I'll have to think about that for next time.

Even in a good cooler, ice does not always keep everything inside quite at the right temp for long term storage. Ice melts, open and closing introduces warm air. Any temp is fine (or safe) for beer. Milk or burger can get finicky. Every year, we would try to see how long we could get burger to last. Buy last minute. Don't open, but make patties at the camp. Our last best method was to buy irradiated burger meat, make the patties at home, par-freeze, then vacuum pack the patties and finish freezing solid and put in the ice in the cooler. 5 days.
Arcb and Scandium like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 41 Old 08-02-2019

One thing I am still experimenting with is using dry ice. Place a slab at the bottom of the cooler, frozen sundries, another slab, refrigerated goods on the top.

I'm just extremely hesitant to put it on a boat unkess there was some form of active ventilation to keep the bilge from filling with carbon dioxide.
post #18 of 41 Old 08-02-2019

Quote:
One thing I am still experimenting with is using dry ice. Place a slab at the bottom of the cooler, frozen sundries, another slab, refrigerated goods on the top.

I'm just extremely hesitant to put it on a boat unkess there was some form of active ventilation to keep the bilge from filling with carbon dioxide.
I’ve used dry ice on charters. In normal use the amount of CO2 given off by dry ice is less than what is given off by the crew breathing, so unless you’re in a hermetically sealed chamber I can’t see how it could be a problem.

There was a thread about this on CF a little while ago. Some people were too nervous to use it, but those who have used dry ice had no problems.

BONUS: Dry ice is really fun to play with.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #19 of 41 Old 08-02-2019

This is the first time i've had someone with firsthand knowledge chime in. Thanks!
post #20 of 41 Old 08-02-2019
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

I have used dry ice in my cooler on the boat many times on long trips.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in