Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 08-04-2019

Re: Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Spam is truly an example of American ingenuity. High sodium....high fat.
Surely you could find better carbs than instant mashed potatoes with out straining you culinary expertise
Spam is a local product here; Hormel is based in Austin, Minnesota. I've been to their annual street festival, the Spam Jam.

I eat it once a year at the state fair. So in about three weeks I'll have a paper cup filled with deep-fried Spam cubes. Then no more of that garbage for another year!
chef2sail likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 08-04-2019

Re: Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats

Most popular in hawaii and the philipines
post #33 of 41 Old 08-04-2019 Thread Starter

The generator question is an interesting one. We looked at a used one a couple of yesrs ago and surely would have bought it if the seller had been able to get it running. It wasn't a Honda though. Can't remember the brand. About 1200 watts.

I don't think we would go that way now though, because most quality camp grounds in Canada, and many anchorages have banned them out right.

I saw why this week end. We trailered our boat up for a little bit of exploring in a place called the Madawaska River and Lake Calabogie. We ended up in a privately owned RV and Camping Facility with a small marina. We had pre booked 3 nights with day excursions to different areas. We were assigned a tent spot.

The RV beside us ran a 3kw Champion Generator 24/7 to run a) his air conditioning during the day b) his heat at night and tv most of the time. It was like having a school bus running beside our tent both in terms of noise and exhaust.

Its a shame because lots of folks run their generators responsibly, but enough don't that its a problem.

Btw, we brought fresh meat, cheese and veggies because we knew we were only doing 3 nights and our experience has told us our soft side coleman cooler could manage that.

A couple of our day excursions (by Van) was to watch a Ducatti club (70 bikes) that had rented a backwoods race track for 3 days of motorcycle club racing. Trailer sailing at its best.

Last edited by Arcb; 08-04-2019 at 06:04 PM.

post #34 of 41 Old 08-04-2019
Old soul

Fun thread. I can't contribute from a cruising perspective -- my boat doesn't qualify. But I spent many decades canoe and then kayak tripping. My first sail boats were canoes rigged with sails.

Dried food was the way we went. Dried veg, meat, fruit. Water was always easy to find.

To keep things dry I used to use multiple layers of trash bags, but graduated to fancy dry bags once I got rich(er).

The generator thing is interesting. It had been many years since I'd been in a car camp. They didn't exist back when I was last in one while family car camping. I was shocked to pitch our tent and be surrounded by these obnoxious beasties. But it does now seem to the norm in many places front country camp grounds. Much like it's become more common in anchorages.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 41 Old 08-04-2019

Living is so easy now outdoors...
Always new things to supply the users.
Fact is that those looking for piece and quiet....cant go where the rvers go.
Look else where...rather than being stressed.
Progress...
post #36 of 41 Old 08-04-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Understand it was not about you....or maybe I should say isnít about you. I donít really care what you put in yourself. Thatís your personal choice.

My purpose was to give alternatives to eating prepacked foods which tasted good and had better taste profiles.
This is a fun thread and lots have posted SERIOUS alternatives in the canned meat category, dried meats,

Let me add to the list some good alternatives ..

.dried fruit. Many are great as snacks but many if you reconstitute with water, wine or brandy take on a greater taste. Some dried cranberries with a little brandy, water soak on top of you spam or canned meat will make it a great meal.

Nuts- can be finely ground between a rock and bowl or finely minced with a knife added to veggies or even canned meat take it to a great level.

Instant sauces, spices add water and create better profiles. Cumin, Chinese 5 spice, curries . Inexpensive ways and alternatives. Donít settle for bland instant mashed potatoes which even kids in elementary school cafeterias turn their noses up to
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #37 of 41 Old 08-05-2019

Dock

No personal attacks on what you think another person's diet should be.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #38 of 41 Old 08-05-2019

Most people have a sweet tooth, I have a salt tooth. I love fried Spam.

I have also found that my 8 inch cast iron skillet works fantastic in my Trangia cookset. Using that setup I made tortilla wraps for the family on the river bank today. Ground beef, Yukon gold potatoes, sweet peppers, shallot, garlic, butter, DIY seasoned salt, cheese. Easy, one-skillet meal and the only things that would need to be kept cool are the meat and cheese.
post #39 of 41 Old 08-05-2019

Generator etiquette is important. If there are others around, one should confine their usage to daytime and preferably when others are occupied or away. That said, the best campsites didnít have anyone else around.

At the fly-ins we bought ours for, there is so much airplane noise, itís truly irrelevant (except at night).
Arcb likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #40 of 41 Old 08-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
How do you deal with challenges such as;

Nutrition?
Spoilage?
Stowage Space?
Hydration?
Treats?
Weight?
Preperation?
Nutrition: Butter/margarine, cheese, eggs, dried nuts, dark pumpernickel bread, and canned fish are compact, healthy, tasty, and stay edible after a few days without refrigeration. For vegetables, bring root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Other vegetables that keep for 1-2 days without refrigeration: broccoli, mushrooms, cabbage, onion, garlic. Bring fruit with resilient peels like apples, bananas, citrus, pineapple. Dried grains are compact and a good base for meals but need extra water for cooking.

Spoilage: a quality cooler with ice blocks and ice packs. For trips more than 3 days, use a 50:50 ratio for ice:food.

Stowage Space: wherever it fits.

Hydration: 2 litres/half-gallon water/person/day. Stored in reused 4 litre/1 gallon plastic water bottles.

Treats: Chocolate, whiskey, pistachios, good conversation at sunset

Weight: I typically lose a pound or two after a week of sailing.

Preparation: Freeze half-full bottles of water for cooling food and eventual drinking. Wash, peel, and pre-cut vegetables and fruit when it make sense and you have room in the cooler. For example, do prepare root vegetables, don't prepare bananas. Put prepared stuff in the cooler, in freezer bags with a bit of salted water.
Arcb and Scandium like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in