Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 07-30-2019 Thread Starter

Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats

Thought I would try and start a thread on provisioning for gunkholing and voyaging on small light displacement sailboats. I am mostly thinking of boats under 3000 pounds or so light displacement, with no refrigeration going on voyages longer than an ice block will last in a cooler. So maybe 3 days or more.

What are your tricks and tips?

How do you deal with challenges such as;

Nutrition?
Spoilage?
Stowage Space?
Hydration?
Treats?
Weight?
Preperation?

I do a bit of off grid gunkholing with my wife and 2 kids on a 900 pound boat. Trips of 2-3 weeks are the norm.

Below I offer a strategy I use in each above category;

Nutrition: Lentils! Oats and Barley. Of course, traveling with kids, treats are a must, so we like dual purpose treats that provide some sugar and a bit of nutrition, such as raisins.

Spoilage; dry goods, stored in ziplocs in dry bags. Small boats are wet environments.

Stowage space; dehydrated meals, just add water. I figure roughly 1.5 liters of food per person per day. So 4 people for 2 weeks is roughly 84 liters of stowage space or 3 cubic feet of food. I usually carry about double that though, since my boat has about 7 cubic feet of food storage. I also get rid of excess packaging. Boxes are ridiculous.

Hydration. I sail mostly fresh water and filter my water with a Katadyn. However, I have found even gunkholing in Saltwater, shore sources are often easy to find for filtering. Obviously more reserve is required in salt water.

Treats: Popping corn (not the microwave stuff). Raisins. Tang. Cliffs Bars. Granola Bars. Various dry spices.

Weight. Dehydrated food. Minimal canned goods. Excess weight on my boat makes it sail terribly. I figure food for 4 for 2 weeks should be under 200 pounds. Obviously the weight gets less and the boat sails better as time passes.

Preperation. I am personally a fan of foods that just require adding hot water. My fuel of choice is non pressurised Alcohol. I have both an Origo and a Trangia. Trangia for solo trips, Origo for family trips. I know cannister type stoves are popular with open boat/dinghy sailors as well. I do most cooking in the cockpit or ashore when possible.

Last edited by Arcb; 07-30-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-30-2019

Re: Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats

Neat idea for a thread. I have to run to an appointment, so I canít build out a full reply. Essentially, the answer is the same as focusing on a long backpacking trip, with less concern for weight. Done all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 41 Old 07-30-2019

Re: Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats

Its canoe tripping...but bigger vessel
MikeOReilly and Arcb like this.

post #4 of 41 Old 07-31-2019

Dock

Brinkman Farms https://brinkmanfarms.com/

Have excellent cans of meat... without fillers. Plain meat.

It appears expensive beef $8.05 and chicken $5.75 but they are huge cans and when you balance the price against no soy/TVP etc its a bargain.

I have them in my emergency ration supply and they are great eating.

Or use the kids as bait and fish up a whopper
PhilCarlson and Arcb like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 41 Old 07-31-2019 Thread Starter

We use canned meat too. Some of it is pretty good.

Our favoutites are Hereford Corned Beef which is a product of Brazil and Swift Canned Ham which is a product of Canada.

Haven't tried Brinkman Farms. We are going out for a week or so next week and I haven't shopped yet. Will see if I can find some and give it a try.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #6 of 41 Old 07-31-2019
Master Mariner

One trick I learned when sailing w/o refrigeration was that I could keep a fresh fish several days by wrapping it in a towel, in the sun and keeping it wet. The evaporation would keep the fish cooler than the ambient temperature.
wymbly1971 and Arcb like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 07-31-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #7 of 41 Old 07-31-2019

I guess it depends how worried you are about weight.

Iíve had more experience with backpacking provisioning than canoe / small boat, but thereís a lot of overlap.

When weight is your enemy you donít want to carry water. Dehydrated everything.

The problem with a lot of dehydrated foods is that they have low to no fat, and not only does fat taste good, but considering weight it gives you the most calories per pound.

So Iíll dehydrate lean ground beef and drain off any excess fat. When reconstituting it (for chili or stew) add olive oil. The olive oil gives you the flavor back and will store at room temp for a long time.

Salted butter will also stay good at room temp for a couple weeks.

Well cooked bacon is shelf stable for a week or so.
wymbly1971 and Arcb like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #8 of 41 Old 07-31-2019
Sailor

I have doubled the insulation in my ice box and can go five days without needing ice. We also keep canned chunky soups,potatoes, and veggies. I sometimes get luck and catch a fish or 2. We are on the Chesapeake so there are several places to restock and get ice. I always have to be back at work before the ice is gone. Most of the top of the line coolers are good for 5 days
MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.
post #9 of 41 Old 07-31-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
I have doubled the insulation in my ice box and can go five days without needing ice. We also keep canned chunky soups,potatoes, and veggies. I sometimes get luck and catch a fish or 2. We are on the Chesapeake so there are several places to restock and get ice. I always have to be back at work before the ice is gone. Most of the top of the line coolers are good for 5 days
5 days is fantastic.

We thought about getting one of those 12 volt coolers a couple years back. Can't remember why we decided against it.
post #10 of 41 Old 08-01-2019

In the past, I think youíve mentioned you often camp ashore on your travels. If I didnít have to carry the tent on my back, Iíd get a bloody standup palace and a real household air mattress. Iíd also bring folding lounge chairs. A comfortable chair is the first thing everyone misses, when backpacking. Often the same on smaller boats too. Iíve always liked the Kelly sunshaders too. If you camp where there is little shade, these are awesome. Being in a tent or down below can be brutal.
Arcb likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in