SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Provioning off the local economy

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 · (Edited)
One way I've cut food costs is to provision off the local economy, for locally grown or produced goods.

Stopping at a small fishing village on the coast of Mexico, the major product was wee tiny squid. Having never prepared such tiny creatures, I asked a lady who was looking them over "how do you clean" these things. She gave me a detailed description, and I bought 2 kilos, for about $2.00 US.

The squid served for 3 meals and as appetizers on a beach pot-luck get together. If you've never cleaned little squid, here's the process:

PS, as an edit, I prepared these by soaking them in a beaten egg, then throwing them into a plastic bag with flour, salt, different spices to taste, then deep frying. For the pot-luck, in a batter like fish and chips. Some use milk to wet them before flouring, but I like egg.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool...Now when did you say we should we arrive for dinner?

#3 ·
That's a great photo essay on cleaning squid Ian - thanks. I've passed squid (much larger than that) many times while scuba diving, and marveled over their luminescence and grace at swimming - backwards. Never occurred to me to scoop them up for dinner.

Now I know what to do.

Question though - are you the cleaner or the photographer . . . or both? If the latter, what's the trick?

#6 ·
You should taste the squid my wife cooks....AMAZING

Squid is part of the Portuguese diet and tradition....as many may know...we are crazy for squid...

Leadhead's wife also makes one delicious tasty Octopussy...ask Tommyt and Val if I am not right....

Made me hungry Ian...

#10 ·
A dozen or so, sliced and sauteed in olive oil, garlic and diced chilies, for a few minutes - add a splash of white wine, then baby spinach 'till wilted and plate up with lemon wedges. Season with black pepper.

So much better than breaded and fried calamari.

#12 ·
Just remember, some of the squid and octopi family members are very, very, poisonous...so don't just harvest them without knowing what you're doing. Eating some of the cuttlefish will kill you stone cold dead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.