SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Cast Iron Cookware (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/47818-cast-iron-cookware.html)

AjariBonten 10-09-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc1111 (Post 382011)
For those that still believe that cast iron spreads heat better than aluminium, try the following:

Cut a sheet of parchment to fit the pan bottom. Place it in the pan with appropriate weights - say some dry beans. Put it over a gas burner until the parchment chars. Look at the char pattern.

Do this on both pans.

Well, yes, aluminum transfers heat more quickly than cast iron. The advantage of cast iron is not in how quickly it transfers heat; but in how slowly it transfers heat. The extra mass maintains it;s heat longer, so it will be more stable edge to edge, giving the appearance of being more even.

Adding cold food to cook cools the cast iron pan less than an aluminum one, making the food cook more evenly. This nis particularly important in quickly sauteing foods, esp. searing meat; as it browns it rather than steaming it in it's own juices.

sanjuan2R 10-09-2008 04:08 PM

Merc2:

Keep the wife seasoned; then you can cook more often with the cast iron pans.

C&C 27
S/V Doodles

erps 10-09-2008 04:19 PM

TC37,

If I wanted to use cast iron on my boat, what should I do to prep it and maintain it?

Boasun 10-09-2008 04:23 PM

Having cast iron skillet and pots on board depends on the usage. If you are going to use them daily, then have them on board. Because they will always be seasoned by the foods you are cooking in them.
But if you only use them once a month or a quarter then leave them ashore.
This would be the common sense view of the discussion.

OBXMariner 11-07-2008 10:59 PM

Cast Iron Cookware?Cast Iron Cookware?

Cast Iron Cookware-"Don't leave home without it.":laugher

Bene505 11-07-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryrezz (Post 381741)
(BTW,,,IMHO anything with teflon on it is a MAJOR no-no .... anywhere!)

Harry, what's the problem with Teflon?

erps 11-08-2008 11:34 AM

Bene,

My youngest kid is a bit of a tree-hugger. He quit using teflon cookware. Something about a molecular change when it gets real hot and how much of it ends up in our body. I don't really remember as it was one of our environmental crisis of the week conversations and it just kind of runs together in my head...blah, blah, blah. I haven't looked into it myself.

SVlagniappe 11-08-2008 01:17 PM

We've found a replacement for both cast iron and teflon. My daughter lives in the UK and bought us a titanium SSK skillet after they fell in love with them. Browns as well as cast iron, but is non-stick, and doesn't require plastic utensils . They are pricey, and aren't available in the US as far as I can find, but worth getting if you can get hold of them. The handles are removable too, so they can be used in an oven. We store an 8 and a 12 nested in the oven with the handles removed.

Here's a link for reference. They seem available online a number of places. Both of mine were gifts, so no experience with any online vendor...

SKK Cookware - Compare prices

skipmac 11-19-2008 09:05 PM

Loved cast iron on my boat and had no problem with rust (see previous post on care), but found one serious down side. Had a skillet fall off a counter when an unexpected wave hit and land on my foot. Made me wish for lighter SS cookware.

miatapaul 11-24-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bene505 (Post 398396)
Harry, what's the problem with Teflon?

The problem with teflon and other non sticks are that they release poisonus gas at around 500 degrees. This temp is very easy to reach. This is one of the first things you learn when you get a bird. No non stick as it can kill them. Now add a small cabin, very unhealthy. personally i like all clad LTD or cast iron.