Cast Iron Cookware - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 Old 11-24-2008
Telstar 28

There are a few non-stick coatings that don't exhibit this behavior IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
The problem with teflon and other non sticks are that they release poisonus gas at around 500 degrees. This temp is very easy to reach. This is one of the first things you learn when you get a bird. No non stick as it can kill them. Now add a small cabin, very unhealthy. personally i like all clad LTD or cast iron.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 11-24-2008

For those who think Cast Iron rusts away to quickly to be of use as cookware on a vessel, consider the Florida Keys light houses built in the 1800's of "Cast Iron" which are still standing tall and strong after 150 years of service. Unlike all the steel bridges.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
post #33 of 56 Old 11-27-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Dutch Oven

I'm getting a cast iron Dutch Oven and as the directions Bubb suggests, I'm seasoning the inside and the outside... But I do like the idea of leaving the cast iron off the boat while its moored and just bringing it along for 'trips' where fresh bread will taste sooo good. Great Post!

My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.
Cary Grant

post #34 of 56 Old 11-27-2008

I love my SS nesting cookware, but I also have a Swiss Diamond breakfast pan that is great for cooking omlets, warming flatbreads, cooking flour tortillas and the like. The Swiss Diamond was a gift, they are pricey but the non stick is very durable. It is small and heavy enough that I have also used it to hold my charts down in a brisk breeze!

Swiss Diamond
post #35 of 56 Old 12-04-2008

My saucepans are stainless, as is my pressure cooker, but the skillet that is used every day is a cast iron Lodge 9" that I inherited with the boat.

This winter it went unused for a couple of months and I found fuzzy green mold growing in it ! I wiped out the mold, heated it up, wiped it down with olive oil: good as new.

My approach is that seldom-used items need to be the most corrosion-resistant. My daily skillet (and daily knife) are cast iron and carbon steel, but my through-hulls and stock pot are bronze and stainless.
post #36 of 56 Old 12-04-2008
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

K-
FWIW I was taught that after every use of cast iron, you wipe it down with fresh oil and reheat it (to build the coating) AND lat of all you SALT THE PAN all over. Salt prevents things from growing in that oil glazing.

Some folks wahs cast iron pans after use, some never let water touch them. That's a whole other choice. I'd rather wash, even if that means the glazing wears down more.
post #37 of 56 Old 12-17-2008

Nothing makes corn bread like a #5 cast iron skillet! If seasoned properly it is covered with a black carbon coating that is nonstick and will take heat better than most others.
I have lots of SS pans, but they have to be scrubbed after use, the cast iron pans only have to be wiped and properly dried over heat. I have not problems with rust on properly cured pots and pans, but you have to dry them properly over a hot fire and then oil them lightly before storing. Cast iron is just like steel knives, they sharpen easy but you have to care for them or they rust.

Drop a cast iron, SS, or Alum on your foot and it will hurt!

Cy
S/V Music
MASON 44

post #38 of 56 Old 03-28-2018

Thumbs up Re: Cast Iron Cookware

If you seasoned and took care of your cast iron it should be fine out in the sea... Although I am extra cautious, so what I do is that I store my pan where no moisture can get in.
post #39 of 56 Old 03-28-2018
Dirt Free

Re: Cast Iron Cookware

Our cast iron pans have been on the boat since 1993, no rust at all. All surfaces were properly seasoned once and once only. We have teflon sleeves for the handles that work very well. Next to the pizza stone on our bbq these are our favourite cooking gear.
Attached Thumbnails
3 (2).JPG   8.JPG   017.JPG   IMG_2977.JPG  
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #40 of 56 Old 03-28-2018

Re: Cast Iron Cookware

Cast iron also imparts a flavor on food that cannot be replicated by any seasoning..... Fried potatoes and onions prepared in a cast iron skillet are my idea of gourmet food.
oysterman23 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in