Cast Iron Cookware - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 Old 04-01-2018

Dock
Re: Cast Iron Cookware

If he had so many TV shows nowadays he'd be a multi-multi millionaire

He was the first to try and make science accessable.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 Old 04-01-2018

I have a cast iron dutch oven that I really wanted to like for sailing, but it actually kind of worries me. It is so much dense weight I am afraid it will get loose and punch a whole through the hull in rough weather.

However, I do bring it with me for canal cruising where I know I wont run into any dirty weather, which I do a fair amount of.

It really is the best pot I have used for cooking over an open fire on the beach. The heat is really even and easy to control for cooking on an open fire. I don't cook with it on board, I use a stainless pot for that.
MarkofSeaLife and wymbly1971 like this.
post #53 of 56 Old 04-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If he had so many TV shows nowadays he'd be a multi-multi millionaire

He was the first to try and make science accessable.
I believe he succeeded!

Loved it when he had a guest on to demonstrate a principle such as how science, physics and math are important in more than an engineering or physicists occupation. One that enthralled my daughters was when he had a chef from a nearby Chinese Restaurant on to demonstrate how he used the 12th power when cooking and proceeded to take a 5 or 10 pound ball of dough and whip it around by hand without any machinery to make Dragons Beard Noodles and tell everyone exactly how many noodles were in the Dragons Beard (4,096).

The Chef visiting Dr Sumner Miller did similar to this without all the explanation and did it a bit faster. I believe the Dragons Beard Demonstration and the profound respect the Dr showed to the Chef is what hooked my kids on math. You can fast forward almost 4 minutes to get to where he starts the count of the 12th power:

And many don't believe this can be done without some kind of pasta machine. In less time than it takes to drive to the grocery he had enough fresh noodles to feed a large crowd and cooking them takes only a moment or so in boiling water.

And many today believe it was Bill Nye who made science accessible.
T37Chef and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 04-01-2018 at 10:12 PM.

post #54 of 56 Old 04-03-2018
S/V Calypso

I'm really not sure where anyone gets the idea that you can't keep cast iron on a boat. This particular pan lives on our boat and is used frequently. After use, just heat it back up and wipe it down with whatever oil you use to cook with, in our case frequently that would be olive oil.
Attached Thumbnails
0330182149.jpg  

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate. Bern Williams
post #55 of 56 Old 04-07-2018

Just recalled another reason I don't like aluminum as it can melt on some stoves.

I was in the workshop yesterday prepairing the foot of a mast for brazing preheating it on a camp stove and got distracted for a moment. The aluminum bar stock that I was also getting warmed up sagged as it approached the molten state so I had far surpassed the 720 degrees I was aiming for. I have seen this happen to aluminum pans and even stainless with carbon steel encapsulated in an aluminum wafer on the bottom of the pan.

I rescued one teenage girl who could not understand why I grabbed her from behind when I caught sight of the aluminum disk shifting as she started lifting a pan she had boiled dry to quench it in her wash tub. I told her the bottom of the pan had melted and hot liquid metal was about to pour all over her so hold still and let me take the pan. I set it on the concrete and let it cool. When she saw the bottom of the pan shifting about as I tried to somewhat center it she stopped yelling at me, turned a whiter shade of pale and broke down into tears realizing what it would have done to her if the aluminum wafer had slid off and hit any part of her. That would have been a horribly painful and disfiguring burn. The pan rocked a bit afterwards and was still serviceable plus reminds her of the need for caution lifting a pan that you have boiled dry and has any aluminum parts on it.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 04-07-2018 at 10:41 PM.
post #56 of 56 Old 04-07-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip68 View Post
I'm really not sure where anyone gets the idea that you can't keep cast iron on a boat.

Did someone say "can't"?

I think some said they don't or wouldn't.... Not can't.

However, if untended and not oiled it will rust far quicker than anything else... But that's not a 'can't" that's neglect.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in