SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Cast Iron Cookware (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/47818-cast-iron-cookware.html)

turfguy 10-07-2008 09:55 PM

Cast Iron Cookware

I was wondering if many of you use cast iron cookware on the boat? It seems like they would be good (even though heavy) cause they would serve two purposes. One on the stove and oven, but also could be used on the BBQ grill. Am I right?
Look forward to your opinions,
thanks
turf

hellosailor 10-07-2008 10:06 PM

You love or hate cast iron. Among other things, if it isn't seasoned on all surfaces it will try to rust in salt air. It heats evenly--but takes a lot of fuel to get the mass heated up. And then you have to reseason it every time you cook with it. A bit of extra work on a boat.

bubb2 10-07-2008 10:12 PM

Yes, We use cast iron on our boat as much as we can. We do not have a oven on the boat but with a cast iron Dutch oven we can make just about anything including bread. With a cast iron flat grill we make pan cakes and eggs for breakfast on the BBQ grill on summer mornings and not heat up the cabin. My cast iron is as important to me as any other tool on the boat.

Vasco 10-08-2008 03:22 PM

Threw most of mine away. Too much upkeep every time I wanted to use it, it was covered in rust.

AjariBonten 10-08-2008 03:36 PM

One possible solution for those who really want many of the advantages of cast iron would be the enameled variety. I've seen dutch ovens that are completely enameled, and frying pans with the sides enameled.

It would solve most of the rust issues.

I have to agree with the long heat-up time with cast iron though, it really can be a pain with a non-traditional heat source. It's probably worth the effort for stews, chillies, etc, but I would go with a lighter stainless for any type of sauteing or boiling water.

WouldaShoulda 10-08-2008 03:40 PM

Alton Brown swears by the stuff!!

bubb2 10-08-2008 06:44 PM

If your cast iron is rusting you are not taking care of it right. you do not wash cast iron , if you do you louse the "seasoning" the rust preventer. After you use your cast iron you wipe it out with a paper towel, thats it!!!! I have some of my mothers cast iron it is over 60 years old no rust.

Cast Iron Cookware Seasoning Care

chucklesR 10-08-2008 07:19 PM

Lemme see, cast IRON in a MARINE environment.

I took chemistry in high school. I think the formula works out to
IRON+MARINE = RUST.

I could be wrong, formula's are tough.

I have several old casties at home, love them. At home. On the boat I have teflon coated aluminum pans, lite weight, and disposable.

bubb2 10-08-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 381654)
Lemme see, cast IRON in a MARINE environment.

I took chemistry in high school. I think the formula works out to
IRON+MARINE = RUST.

I could be wrong, formula's are tough.

I have several old casties at home, love them. At home. On the boat I have teflon coated aluminum pans, lite weight, and disposable.

Think of seasoning as paint, a rust preventer. Chip and paint, a Navy thing, should not be that hard to get your arms around the concept.

T37Chef 10-08-2008 07:28 PM

Bubb's got it right on the money. A good cook always has a cast iron pan or two in their cookware inventory, home or boat. I can tell in an instant if someone knows how to cook just by looking at their cookware. I have used it on the grill as well, works nicely, so does a pizza stone (but I dropped it overboard ;)